I want to love POE... please let me be a filthy casual.

"
KAJed wrote:
I actually would love to plan my builds. This isn't really about putting points in willy nilly. It's about not being penalized when I make the WRONG choice.

Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm not, but there is no amount of arguing that will make me think this change would not be a positive. There are a few things up in the air as I've mentioned that could definitely have an impact though. I'm not implying there is NO risk to this type of additon.

As to cost though, in terms of development time and server time / maintenance... I would wager it is not as hefty as is assumed. I'm sure it's not ZERO either. I would love to know what type of rig they have set up for this. Devops is something of an interest of mine these days.

"
Xtorma wrote:

I am interested to hear how you would accomplish this with minimal expenditure. Assuming of course that your definition of minimal is the same as GGG's. As I stated before, what you are asking for here is essentially a quality of life change ( you don't want to have to plan your builds) to a game you have admitted to loving every other aspect of. wouldn't it be easier to everyone concerned if you just played the game the way it was designed and planed out your builds ahead of time like everyone else does?

you have 18 free chances to fix mistakes. How many are you making per build?
You are full of shit. A- not one person has talked about any other game that has chosen not to do this. Everything has been focussed on this game.
B- other games that make this choice ARE successful. C- I have actually conceded some points. However the way I chose to play is not inherently wrong. I am not asking for auguring else to change But this. And I'm not alone either. It would help if you weren't simply trying to spout shit to make yourself feel better now.

I think what it comes down to is this: it's too little too late anyway... POE is too old to benefit from a change like this. But I will never waver in that it would have benefitted from it early on.

"
"
KAJed wrote:
What? you're literally inventing things I've said now. When have I said I hate character creation? Or Human interaction? My comments about trading were pro-human. As in removing that aspect would be bad.

You don't make any sense man. You're trying to turn this in to something it isn't to try to prove a point... what the hell man? Disliking one aspect of this one game doesn't make me hate the ARPG genre. Nor does it mean I hate POE. I love POE, this one thing bothers me and creates a barrier for me continuing to play casually.

"

Well if you didn't hate most of the things that make the ARPG genre what it is then you wouldn't have made this thread in the first place...mind blown!

Also your comments are littered with references to how you hate every aspect of character creation and design, trade, human interaction, since there is little to no mechanical skill involved in playing the game those literally ARE the game.

Read the shit you write man, you are inconsistent across your whole thread and your logic is full of holes. When people present the very real reasons why successful games don't do what you are asking for here you just hand wave it away. You admit that nothing we say is going to change your opinion, you are just a troll and you opinions are worth nothing. Have fun getting roasted here.

G'day scrub.
Many apparently :P
Not really the point. But yet again I'll be called a scrub for experimenting.

"
Xtorma wrote:
"
KAJed wrote:
I actually would love to plan my builds. This isn't really about putting points in willy nilly. It's about not being penalized when I make the WRONG choice.

Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm not, but there is no amount of arguing that will make me think this change would not be a positive. There are a few things up in the air as I've mentioned that could definitely have an impact though. I'm not implying there is NO risk to this type of additon.

As to cost though, in terms of development time and server time / maintenance... I would wager it is not as hefty as is assumed. I'm sure it's not ZERO either. I would love to know what type of rig they have set up for this. Devops is something of an interest of mine these days.

"
Xtorma wrote:

I am interested to hear how you would accomplish this with minimal expenditure. Assuming of course that your definition of minimal is the same as GGG's. As I stated before, what you are asking for here is essentially a quality of life change ( you don't want to have to plan your builds) to a game you have admitted to loving every other aspect of. wouldn't it be easier to everyone concerned if you just played the game the way it was designed and planed out your builds ahead of time like everyone else does?

you have 18 free chances to fix mistakes. How many are you making per build?
I'm genuinely curious: how did you get to level 58 without even completing act 3 normal? Level 58 is a good spot to enter Merciless, not slog around in Normal. Honestly it sounds like respecs is not your primary problem, but rather a lack of game knowledge. Which is perfectly fine, I'm merely suggesting you focus your energy on that, not on raising issues that really aren't. I remember there was some heated debates about respecs in closed beta, but that's like five years ago, and we've got plenty of free respec points from quests since then, too.

Om topic: no, and it's not going to happen. And I'm not saying that because I'm elitist (I'm a filthy casual scrub too) but because I am certain it would do far more harm than good, and GGG will most certainly agree.
I'm not sure where you're getting my progress from but I am in Act II merciless I believe. I don't recall which act is which, it's been a while, and I didn't jump back in and play after installing it. I want to say act II though. Most definitely not still in Normal though... perhaps my account is confused because I haven't played in so long?

I'm not convinced that it will do more harm than good, but given the few bits of coherent discussion amidst the insanity and someone at work I'm certainly aware of a couple issues that may be bigger hurdles in the long run. Regardless, as I've mentioned, GGG feels the same as you guys do unfortunately. They have since open beta which is when I started. I think a choice like this earlier on would have helped more than now though.

"
Ceri wrote:
I'm genuinely curious: how did you get to level 58 without even completing act 3 normal? Level 58 is a good spot to enter Merciless, not slog around in Normal. Honestly it sounds like respecs is not your primary problem, but rather a lack of game knowledge. Which is perfectly fine, I'm merely suggesting you focus your energy on that, not on raising issues that really aren't. I remember there was some heated debates about respecs in closed beta, but that's like five years ago, and we've got plenty of free respec points from quests since then, too.

Om topic: no, and it's not going to happen. And I'm not saying that because I'm elitist (I'm a filthy casual scrub too) but because I am certain it would do far more harm than good, and GGG will most certainly agree.
Last edited by KAJed on Feb 21, 2017, 8:35:28 PM
"
KAJed wrote:
I'm not sure where you're getting my progress from but I am in Act II merciless I believe. I don't recall which act is which, it's been a while, and I didn't jump back in and play after installing it. I want to say act II though. Most definitely not still in Normal though... perhaps my account is confused because I haven't played in so long?

I'm not convinced that it will do more harm than good, but given the few bits of coherent discussion amidst the insanity and someone at work I'm certainly aware of a couple issues that may be bigger hurdles in the long run. Regardless, as I've mentioned, GGG feels the same as you guys do unfortunately. They have since open beta which is when I started. I think a choice like this earlier on would have helped more than now though.

You're probably right - the web site is probably confused. :) I just took a quick look at your achievements and you didn't have the one for beating Dominus on Normal. Not that it matters, it just confused me a bit.

Yes, if a change of this magnitude would happen, it would have happened prior to Open Beta launching. Even if it seems like a "small thing", it really shakes the foundation of the economy as others have mentioned. I couldn't care less about the economy, but I definitely can see the problem. You probably remember in Diablo 3 where very quickly any gear that wasn't item level 63 was worthless. People rushed to 60 and didn't bother with gear until then, thereby bypassing the entire item database pre-ilvl 63. That sucked hard. It didn't help that itemization in general sucked hard too. Oh well, I digress.

Personally, I think free respecs at will would shorten the lifespan of the game - at least for me. You would only need 1 character per class to be fully covered - again, a'la Diablo 3 - and nobody would ever level a new character after that. Contrary to D3, I think PoE is much more a journey, not a rush towards an end. D3 doesn't have an item hunt whatsoever so the only thing

I really enjoy the respec option we do get when major patches launch. I play around a lot with my Standard characters, testing and tweaking builds and trying to perfect them, as well as trying new and crazy things I conjure up. Great fun for me, and it's a most welcome pause inbetween leagues.
"
Ceri wrote:
"
KAJed wrote:

You're probably right - the web site is probably confused. :) I just took a quick look at your achievements and you didn't have the one for beating Dominus on Normal. Not that it matters, it just confused me a bit.

Yes, if a change of this magnitude would happen, it would have happened prior to Open Beta launching. Even if it seems like a "small thing", it really shakes the foundation of the economy as others have mentioned. I couldn't care less about the economy, but I definitely can see the problem. You probably remember in Diablo 3 where very quickly any gear that wasn't item level 63 was worthless. People rushed to 60 and didn't bother with gear until then, thereby bypassing the entire item database pre-ilvl 63. That sucked hard. It didn't help that itemization in general sucked hard too. Oh well, I digress.

Personally, I think free respecs at will would shorten the lifespan of the game - at least for me. You would only need 1 character per class to be fully covered - again, a'la Diablo 3 - and nobody would ever level a new character after that. Contrary to D3, I think PoE is much more a journey, not a rush towards an end. D3 doesn't have an item hunt whatsoever so the only thing

I really enjoy the respec option we do get when major patches launch. I play around a lot with my Standard characters, testing and tweaking builds and trying to perfect them, as well as trying new and crazy things I conjure up. Great fun for me, and it's a most welcome pause inbetween leagues.

That's just it, without a cost to respec, rerolling new characters wouldn't be required.

It will never happen, except maybe when GGG doesn't want to touch the skilldrasil again and removes Regret Orbs, but that is a long shot, and a worse idea than just keeping Regrets and have a meaning to every choice you make.

I'm as casual as you could get, as the game still remains a "fun" hoarding simulator, but with a bit of logic and attention I made proper builds without relying on "copy-pasting" those from others.

GGG encourages reroll and they make huge efforts to make the storyline a complete experience and keep mapping as an end game goal, so you won't get your desire too soon, as by conceding to your point of free respecs, that "casual babies" league would have to have increased drops, only legacy items and no death and EXP penalties, with a cool "no cost" AH...

Standard is already in a good place regarding player retention for those people that are time constraint, and the game rewards investment, as with investment comes experience, and with experience comes the reaching of ones goals...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Feb 22, 2017, 1:23:46 AM
Yeah no free respecting is retarded. It doesnt bother me cuz I can respec whole toons at will cuz I'm rich enough. But casuals it sux. So basically only hurts people they want to keep. Has no effect on ppl like me. Dumb.

Check this out. Even with free respec every ladder I'll spend like 300 regrets too twinking in std getting ready for my next build in I'ma play ladder. I'm not real good at math so have to test everything. That requires lots of regrets. Again no big deal, for me.

The biggest problem with it besides only hurts poor ppl, is you are compelled to play meta because you are afraid of failing. And you wonder why everyone looks alike derp.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Feb 22, 2017, 4:14:36 AM
How's this...how hard is it to farm regret these days? Honestly it's been a while since I played...and when I did getting them even in standard wasn't cheap or quick in any way.
I farmed like 136 this ladder. But if I want more I can buy way more. It's not an issue for many. Like I said only hurts poor ppl and casuals the very ppl that are not hooked and wont be with this frustration.
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info