I want to love POE... please let me be a filthy casual.

"
"
Boem wrote:

And in therms of "meta gaming" free respecs would allow optimal leveling specs to progress and then swap over to optimal farming specs without any opportunity cost, which would influence the meta game considerably.
At the moment there is a choice to be made when leveling and competing in the ladder and the "eventual build" is an active component of making a good start design of your character.

This might be irrelevant for you and players like the OP, but it is very relevant for the competitive aspect of the game.

Peace,

-Boem-

The meta gaming aspect is probably why the OP would prefer to see this sort of thing as its own league rather than introduced to any of the current leagues. That way the most influence on the meta it has is allowing much quicker fine-tuning, and if that league doesn't have access to new stuff on Temp leagues then optimization requiring something from the temp leagues isn't going to be available.

Although I suppose there could be a compromise: If instead of (or in addition to) getting single respec points, there was one or two full respecs available through quests then that would be helpful to more people while still not getting into the whole new league territory.

Or maybe if there was a system where the game remembered your last 10 points spent and then you could roll those back all at once to pick new passives through certain quests.

When I have discussed this previously a couple respecs per character was brought up as well. I would be alright with that compromise. It would still result in leveling builds leading to final builds... but I don't really see a bad thing about that.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
KAJed wrote:
Correct: your opinion doesn't affect my opinion. Why would it? The difference is I know and understand your point. I don't disagree... having a game that has consequences is fantastic and for people who want to play that way: power to you!

I have been playing POE on and off since its inception. I am not new to the game. However, this has been something that has been addressed time and time again. Yes, I understand that's not the people they WANT it to focus on. But give me a valid reason why people who want to play the game that way are not allowed to do so?

Also... to the one calling this a "troll thread"... you do realize you sound precisely like Trump? IT'S FAKE NEWS. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean other people don't. This is a topic that has come up since the game began.

I don't want to invest 20 hours into a character only to find I screwed him up and need to spend 20 more hours atoning for those mistakes. I also don't want to run through someone's random build just so I can play the game. I don't want to spend 20 hours researching HOW to play the game in order to play the game.

The argument that the game is designed this way doesn't mean that that's the way it needs to remain. The design of a game doesn't always dictate the way that people play it. And absolutely this style appears to be sustainable as there appears to be enough support that they continue to create new content which is absolutely fantastic. But opening it up with something like this makes it more accessible.

These forums have always been littered with elitists whose argument is simply "if you don't like it leave". Well, no. I won't leave. I am not the only player who holds this opinion. So, why not open it up? Give me a reason beyond "we don't want it".

A discussion where others opinions don't affect your opinion at all isn't a discussion. Its not opening anything up. It's just a rant masquerading as a dialogue.

Also, you really didnt get off on the right foot by using the word "whining" as a designation of anyone potentially disagreeing with you.

I don't think it's a troll thread, but I do think you're just looking for confirmation of your beliefs rather than actual exchange of perspectives and mutual enrichment ie a discussion.

Ps you're wrong. :p PoE does not need any more respeccing. Between orbs of regret, respec quests and skilldrasil resets with major changes, you have to make some very bad, almost wilful mistakes to still be screwed after your first few characters.

So love PoE for what it is, not what you want it to be. After all, isn't that what love really is? :)

And if you can't love that, take a break. Or write more rants. I've tried both. Neither work. You're stuck until you're not. Until you are again.

Condolences.

Love,

A much filthier casual than you

Pps January 24th 2013, being your account creation date, was not PoE's inception. Some of us would argue it was quite the opposite, when closed beta was forcibly invaded by people who didn't get the game but knew it wasn't d3 and fuck Blizzard and those damn casuals. Although not many of us, because most of those have become unstuck. Lucky bustards.

Open beta was released on 23 January 2013... so I created my account a day after it was open. SO.... I wasn't in the closed beta but started playing immediately after it was publicly available... I'm not sure how I'm wrong?
opinion cant be wrong. i think he was joking tho. I say you are right:P
Git R Dun!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I was not joking. I was being tongue-in-cheek. I disagree, obviously, and I explained why.

But since the person in question has said their opinion won't be swayed at all by others, I figured it was all a moot point.

As for the join date, I'm just pointing out that Open Beta was not the game's inception. Inception meaning 'starting point'. It wasn't even close. So please don't make that claim just because you got here before others. Saying you've been here since the game's inception and by extention claiming the game came into being when it entered open beta is not a factual statement. And you're misleading people by saying it, because you're trying to establish a position of authority you don't have. A LOT of people were here before you. A lot of people were here before me. You were not here for the game's inception.

In a post-factual world, I'm still one of those idiots clinging to the sanctity of truth. Sorrynotsorry.

Wow... just wow to this response. You're right, I didn't give them money to participate in a closed beta. I joined POE as soon as was possible without donating. I'm sorry that you don't regard a public release as anything that matters. I agree, those early supporters MADE this game happen, but they are not the only reason it was successful.

You, and the attitude provided by you, are the reason I call a good many of this crowd elitist. There have been some good points made and there has been discussion that didn't involve name-calling as well. Unfortunately, those have been the minority. My opinion will remain unchanged in so much as I think some version of this would be beneficial. However, I have taken a few good points as to why I think might be a bigger undertaking that previously thought.
Last edited by KAJed on Feb 24, 2017, 8:51:38 PM
Hey OP I feel ur pain. With any cheap starter build you can farm an ex worth of currency every 2 hours. It's pretty obvious that guys are farming much faster than that, but forget them.

With 1 ex you can respec ur whole char, because usually characters have "common" skill lines. I fully respeced a char and spend 35 regrets because of the "common" skills they both shared.

One ex is worth from 40 to 65 chaos/regrets at any given time during the league.

So... You can be a dirty casual and play a couple hours?
For me,

the OP does not make much sense. He Claims to be a casual, but at the same time he act´s like an elitist powergamer, who want´s the best char with min - maxing.

Casuals don´t min max, they don´t care about statistics or internet wealth, they just spend a few hours each week, playing video games.

I play this game and not once, did I need a full reset and it makes me wonder why anyone would even need that. I disagree that it would only take 12 hours to level, as I need many days for that, but besides that, I don´t see reasons for the OP´s request.

The big problem casuals have with POE, is the lack of stash space, the lack of save points inside the lab and the huge XP penalty around 88+. This things always force me to stop once I reach 89, as I can no longer store my items / maps, nor can progress as one death costs me hours of playtime.
"
Ygidua wrote:
For me,

the OP does not make much sense. He Claims to be a casual, but at the same time he act´s like an elitist powergamer, who want´s the best char with min - maxing.

Casuals don´t min max, they don´t care about statistics or internet wealth, they just spend a few hours each week, playing video games.

I play this game and not once, did I need a full reset and it makes me wonder why anyone would even need that. I disagree that it would only take 12 hours to level, as I need many days for that, but besides that, I don´t see reasons for the OP´s request.

The big problem casuals have with POE, is the lack of stash space, the lack of save points inside the lab and the huge XP penalty around 88+. This things always force me to stop once I reach 89, as I can no longer store my items / maps, nor can progress as one death costs me hours of playtime.

I like to min-max within reason. Obviously I won't ever be decked out in the best gear.
i also think a league separation according to play time would make substantially more sense than according to the way your character is treated after you did a mistake.

why?

the main reason to separate leagues is to separate economies. there is no real difference in hardcore/softcore economies but there would be a huge difference in casual/nolifer economies.

i don't see a reason why hc and sc players shouldn't play in the same parties if ladders are separate.

but having nolifers spoiling the game of casuals by providing cheap overpowered endgame items and overly profiting from their currency findings (exalts must come from somewhere if some have hundreds and the average player finds 2 per league) is a solid reason for me to separate these play styles.

the only problem is to reliably separate these player types with anonymous accounts. the only way probably is to allow only registered players in the casual league. which kind of ruins the whole thing.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info