Balancing Legacy Unique Items

Hmm - i have mixed feelings about this to be honest.

First of all i have to say that GGG should create new mods on items more carefully. "Casts lvl 10 consecrate" - a new player can't properly know what consecrate is or does while looking at this item, the lvl 10 skill discription makes it even more confusing (as a long term player i assume the lvl 10 reflects the duration of the consecrated ground which should be ~8sec)

Suggestion: Make an extra tooltip pop up while hovering over the item which explains in great detail what the special effect actually does.

To the item rebalances itself:

Gifts from above:
5% block does nothing special on most crit builds, on non crit block focused builds there are much better alternatives than conditional block. 50% flat damage on crit builds can be huge but in those days in PoE in which we are now 50% flat damage increase on an endgame crit focused build does absolutly nothing since DPS is already high enough. Killing a both in 0.4 seconds without and in 0.37 seconds with the ring doesn't matter at all. Attack based crit builds use rare rings since they will always be better.
Regarding Inquisitor Asendancy (looking at concecrated ground effects) - if you go crit you will never go for that branch because the crit branch is OP.

The rebalance is a nice effort to bring the item up to a higher power level but because of the insane power creep in PoE happening over the last expansions the ring won't see much use at all or even be considered interesting to build around.

Trolltimberspire:
Well designed leveling unique for totem builds - well done! But at this stage in the game totems are not that fast to level with. Skills like firestorm etc. outshine that playstyle. Leech does nothing at those stages in the game due to low damage output. The AoE is nice but also not needed before going into maps.
In endgame this shield isn't that usefull compared to other alternatives. Tukohamas Fortress for instance is straight powercreep to this one if ou play a life based totem build and knockes this unique shield out automatically on the first glance. Other totem builds would consider a other type of shield either for more defense or offensive stats.

So the rebalance won't have any effect on the useability of this shield which is sad since the basic idea is flavorfull and well rounded - it just doesn't fit the current state of the game at all.

Shav's Ring:
The legacy version of this ring with 4% ES regen has it's niche uses and creates very powerfull unique builds with niche purpose (example: Dyness in the Hall of Grandmasters). The non legacy variant creates niche Johnny like builds, which is great for the game.

The new version of the ring does nothing for the ES part of the ring - 3% in the current state of the game is nothing. With the recent change of map mods affecting ES regen the rings niche was busted.

The mana part of the new version represents a lvl 58 clarity for free (sounds like "Nick_GGG balancing" to me; completly over the top stats) if you are using a life build without scaling ES
No regen is the only map mod that counters it, 60% less regen would not bother you ever while using this ring.

I can't understand the design philosophy of this type of item because it limits design space severly regarding mana and mana regen dependend mechanics. With old EB and AA this would be broken. With this ring in the game an old AA type mana drain mechanic over time (which many people loved) can't ever be designed in the future again because this ring exists and the new mechanic can never be balanced around it properly. Mana can never be buffed to become a relevent/compareable stat which is worth investing in because of this single item. MoM can't be touched/reworked either.

A rebalance wasn't necessary at all - reverting the nerf would have done the trick i feel. Limiting design space for new mechanics can never be the right choice.

Sry GGG - i appriciate your efforts to make old unique items more interesting again but with your current way designing the game and creating more and more power creep, unqiues cannot be balanced properly at all if feel. Before you fix uniques you have to fix powercreep and open up more design space to yourself.
If you don't put the effort in you only can create more power creep uniques in the futures to make to game interesting (which we all know will lead into a brick wall eventually)

Despite all that i hope to see more from you in the future.
I still wait melee to be viable. :)
Gifts from above still shit.

Why not give it a ES roll and mediocre rés instead of shitty block = better

Trolltimber shield is practically the same, should have "can have 1 additional attack totem" instead of shit leech = better
See my stats: http://poestatistics.com/users/wiraqucha/
Seems not updated for whatever reason: http://exilestats.com/account.php?id=265406
Discontinued profile: http://exilestats.com/account.php?id=40468
Last edited by Wiraqucha on Feb 9, 2017, 5:59:10 AM
This vvvvv

Last edited by VanguardUa on Feb 9, 2017, 5:58:16 AM
We also could use a skill gem overhaul/balance.
don't worry dear edge of madness your time will come
Hargan is my spirit NPC which one is yours?
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
Misleading title...

This is about League-exclusive unique items

not Legacy

We chose the title carefully, but I'll leave it at that for now... :)

that more or less confirms the next league being named "legacy"?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
Misleading title...

This is about League-exclusive unique items

not Legacy

We chose the title carefully, but I'll leave it at that for now... :)

that more or less confirms the next league being named "legacy"?

+1 some kind of flashback named legacy :)
"However, the triggered consecrated ground causes performance issues"

so how about fixing ground effects?! LOL but no, they will change the effect instead. evading the obstacle is so typical of a developer who doesn't know what they are doing.

and a good idea would be to show on the tooltip when a unique was released (patch number) and when that specific instance of the unique was changed last. don't expect the wiki to tell us what legacy version we are holding in hands, THE GAME should tell us.

and who the fuck cares about balance of league exclusive items that you can barely get at all in temp leagues. that shit is so obscure it shouldn't even be a top 100 priority of things to tackle!
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Feb 9, 2017, 6:50:27 AM
It does not really matter, all these orange items in the game are useless, are not really good for use

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info