7k fusings later, a 6L

Hey OP, I know I might get laughed at but here's my creed.

If item ilvl is <=75 you can fuse by hand as rng is slightly tilted in your favor (how I 6 linked countless unique items which don't rely on ilvl for rolls).
If item ilvl is >81 then it's vorici no questions asked (ES armors for CI and such).

In between, 76-81 is a grey zone, I throw couple fuses for fun and ditch the item at 5l most often.
Second-class poe gamer
"
jconaspree wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I blame the community for making 6L feel like it was necessary and deserved rather than a bonus for people who got very lucky. If I was a designer, I'd have fusings not work on 5Ls.

I'm glad you aren't a designer because that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Say you spend 50 ex crafting a chest armour before linking it. If you hit a 5L and can't keep rolling it, you basically brick it.

See...that's what I mean. 5L isn't brick. It's still a very functional item. It's only your bias that is making it seem ruined. You don't need a 6L. Ever.
not like it was unknown that 6 linking can take over 4000, even seen 6000+ and no luck
This has been available since beta at least, there was even a post about the odds, before they added the quality buff.

Thats why you have vorici, not GGG's problem that you didn't use him, now you have to get your priorities straight, after 1500 why didn't you just go for vorici? after 3k? or 4.5?
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Assuming a 1 in 1250 chance (none of us really know what the actual number is), you have about a 10% chance of it taking 3000 fusings, and about a 1.8% chance of it taking 5000.

If everyone who took 5000+ made a post like yours we'd have 3-5 of them a day.

On the subject of spending 1500... your choice. But it's clear that you're wasting about 300 fusings just for the insurance. Up to you. Not a good deal though.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jan 29, 2017, 11:08:57 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
What did he do wrong exactly? What mistake did he make? He used crafting materials for crafting and the rng fucked him over.

What he did wrong is to choose to go the rng route instead of the sure thing route without being mentally prepared for the possibility of losing that bet.

It is really easy to decide to try and fuse a 6-link when you all you have in your head is the idea of succeeding in a couple hundred at most.

The problem with that way of thinking is that on average, that is not going to happen.

If you can't handle draining all your currency on thousands of fusings and still not getting the 6-link then it's up to you to decide to not start the walk down that path.

Go visit Vorici instead.
I dont think many players will ever be mentally prepared to lose 5k fusing and literally end up with nothing, not even an inch towards there goal. Hes got the same chance of it happening right now that he had when he used the first fuse, thats shit imo.

the question is how much should the game allow itself to fuck people over, what is healthy? We had to battle for that vorici bench, we had to slog it out with GGG for what, over a year to get that bench that they did not want to add to the game. Fusing are not designed to be tokens for a bench, they are designed to be used. Its one thing to evaluate this one guy working within what we know, but questioning the entire mechanics behind things is entirely different.

If a guy goes to a pub, drinks 2 bottles of vodka and ends up in hospital you can say yeah, idiot, shouldnt have drunk that much, his own fault. But you have to take a step back from that and look at the bigger picture, I dunno about other countries but bars here in the uk are not allowed to serve you alcohol if you already appear to be very drunk because while you can just pin things on individuals in individual cases, from a wider perspective you have to acknowledge that this will happen and people selling alcohol have a responsibility to not allow the potential for such unealthy things to take place in a bar where they are advertising alcohol intended to get you drunk. Fuisng are intended to be used, GGG has put them in the game and said here, use these to do this, and people will use them to do exactly that, and this will happen. Is that healthy for the game? Is it healthy for players? Is it good for us all to just switch to fusing being bench tokens rather than using them? Does that make for a more fun, exciting game? You got to take a step back imo and look a the bigger picture.
6-Linking via Orbs of Fusing

This is probably the most infamous instance of a highly desirable random event that is easily repeatable in Path of Exile. Unless I'm mistaken, the probability of six-linking is not exactly known, but has been estimated to be about P = 1/1000 is known to be slightly more than 1/1500, as the new insta-6-linking in the Forsaken Masters costs 1500 fusings. We will assume an estimated 6-linking probability of 1/1400, in which case:

S < 0.001 --> N = 1. If it takes you a single orb of fusing to 6-link your item, 999 out of 1000 PoE players want to strangle you.

S = 0.01 --> N = 14. If it takes you a mere 14 orbs of fusing to 6-link your item, you are very lucky, but in fact 1 out of 100 players achieves this.

0.05 < S < 0.95 --> 72 < N < 4192. If 6-linking your item takes you between 72 and 4192 orbs of fusing, you should consider yourself in the normal range. Indeed, the median player will use 970 orbs of fusing.

S = 0.99 --> N = 6445. You are quite unlucky if it takes you 6445 orbs of fusing, but actually 1% of all players who attempt to 6-link their item take this amount or more.

S = 0.999 --> N = 9667. My heart goes out to you if, like 1 out of every 1000 players, it took you at least 9667 orbs of fusing.

S = 0.9999 --> N = 12890. You are truly cursed. You'll never forgive yourself for not waiting for the Forsaken Masters expansion and then using the crafting bench.

Additional calculation: N = 1500 (the amount to insta-6-link in Forsaken Masters) corresponds to S = 0.658, so 65.8% of players will successfully 6-link their item in 1500 or fewer orbs of fusing.
Last edited by kms1320 on Jan 29, 2017, 11:57:28 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I dont think many players will ever be mentally prepared to lose 5k fusing and literally end up with nothing, not even an inch towards there goal. Hes got the same chance of it happening right now that he had when he used the first fuse, thats shit imo.

Fancy your hand held? use vorici,anything other than him is gambling.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

the question is how much should the game allow itself to fuck people over, what is healthy? We had to battle for that vorici bench, we had to slog it out with GGG for what, over a year to get that bench that they did not want to add to the game. Fusing are not designed to be tokens for a bench, they are designed to be used. Its one thing to evaluate this one guy working within what we know, but questioning the entire mechanics behind things is entirely different.

Last i recall there was no fighting,ggg is not exactly known to cave for easy modes. The game fucks you over as much as you allow it to,the bench is there,and 1.5k fusings for a 6-linked item of any kind as long as it's eligible is not exactly a bad deal. Also,there is no book on what currency is and means,for some people it's a crafting material,for others it's a currency item and nothing else,there is no strict guideline for a design that might contradict it's current use.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

If a guy goes to a pub, drinks 2 bottles of vodka and ends up in hospital you can say yeah, idiot, shouldnt have drunk that much, his own fault. But you have to take a step back from that and look at the bigger picture, I dunno about other countries but bars here in the uk are not allowed to serve you alcohol if you already appear to be very drunk because while you can just pin things on individuals in individual cases, from a wider perspective you have to acknowledge that this will happen and people selling alcohol have a responsibility to not allow the potential for such unealthy things to take place in a bar where they are advertising alcohol intended to get you drunk. Fuisng are intended to be used, GGG has put them in the game and said here, use these to do this, and people will use them to do exactly that, and this will happen. Is that healthy for the game? Is it healthy for players? Is it good for us all to just switch to fusing being bench tokens rather than using them? Does that make for a more fun, exciting game? You got to take a step back imo and look a the bigger picture.

This part is just sad......
No rest for the wicked.
I have never linked one in 4.5 years, but then I don't want to gamble that badly, if I ever want one I will buy it.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
Rumthorp wrote:
I'm here to vent. I just burned most of what I spent the past month and a half earning on trying to 6l a chest piece.

im really new to this game compared to allot of people on here.
but i do think the rng is way to much in their favour instead of the player.. it shouldn't be easy to 6 link i agree. but going above 1000 links even if you gamble or use vorici is nuts

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info