Why does POE hate standard players?

I think if they bothered adding a TRADING POST, or something, that would really help ALL leagues. Nothing worse than trying to trade get an item already sold, changed their mind, OFFLINE when you are online, or even AFK for hours, etc, etc. Adding a trading engine to the game would help a lot.
I have hope for Standard.. and Standard HC. Eventually, GGG is going to tire of supporting this game and will have to set up Standard as the "lingering death" of PoE. Hope they have plans for that... because it's inevitable.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I have hope for Standard.. and Standard HC. Eventually, GGG is going to tire of supporting this game and will have to set up Standard as the "lingering death" of PoE. Hope they have plans for that... because it's inevitable.

It is inevitable but not anytime soon. POE will probably be alive and strong 5 years from now. Hopefully we have an AH by then :D
Last edited by Krayken on Dec 21, 2016, 4:02:20 PM
"
Trylobyte wrote:
Standard league is in a rough place. Here are two reasons why.

Standard is useless for testing new content. This is where the temporary leagues shine - They add in a lot of new stuff and players have to work through the game as a new player would, testing the content as they go. The developers thus get a picture of how well-tuned the content is from a new character's perspective. It's a pure environment that isn't 'polluted' by years of item-farming that ensure any new character on Standard will probably have half a dozen uniques and every skill gem they need. It also puts focus on the new content and new mechanics, bringing those front and center in a way that watching them get rolled over by a 2-year-old level 100 character with mirrored rares and best-in-slot uniques never could.

There's also the fact that leagues are more popular, at least initially. Unless the league is a real sleeper people just seem to like playing in the temporary leagues more. I know I like the temp leagues more than Standard because I know I'm not starting out at a huge handicap. This attitude may change after a few leagues where I have enough currency and items and characters to consider doing some of the highest-level content, but right now, temp leagues all the way. They feel more fair and more even than Standard. Obviously, the more popular mode is going to get more of the attention.

Much as it sucks for players who like Standard, there are legitimate business reasons to not focus so much on it. Standard will always be the core gameplay experience... eventually... but until the cycle of temporary leagues comes to a close it will never be preferred if there's new content to test and a majority of players in the temporary league.

And that's not going into the reasons why the players themselves make Standard a rougher league to play in, and I'm sure there are plenty of those.

This, this and more this.

I just came back to PoE, and standard is a straight no-go because I have years of catching up to do just to be average. Plus, I only like hardcore mode anyway, so leagues are indeed suited to and perfect for people like me - new or returning players. The economies aren't wrecked or mudflated, you actually do the content as it is intended, the game is actually tense and exciting because I am not facerolling everything with all my uniques and all that, etc.

And to add one more person saying it - Standard is the dumping ground, so why improve it? It's like digging up and reorganizing a landfill to be more aesthetically pleasing.
"
venjenz0531 wrote:
And to add one more person saying it - Standard is the dumping ground, so why improve it? It's like digging up and reorganizing a landfill to be more aesthetically pleasing.

I wouldn't call Standard a dumping ground. Standard is PoE's sandbox mode, where people are free to take as much time as they want ironing out every detail of their builds and getting the absolute best gear possible. It's an easy place to test builds because you have all the supplies on hand to powerlevel a character in days rather than weeks. It's also running familiar content that most people already know the mechanics of, so there are no surprises.

And it's fine that people like Standard. Sandboxes are great. But you can't expect them to be the focus of development.
yeah getting tired of repeating all the grind to experience new content (atlas + lab enchants + masters + releveling + re6linking + atziri + council + recrafting all my essence gear, etc etc).

I'd much rather enjoy the content in standard, in full. Not the tiny nerfed bits of it that standard gets after the league ends.

If the only way to experience new content in full continues to be in new leagues only, I can see this ultimately leading to myself walking away from the game. GGG is really failing the standard player, with more and more resources going to temp league content, no race seasons, no pvp balance.

This is not isolated to a minority either. So many people in my guild/friends complain about having to start in a new league to experience the new content (and get all the OP unique items). If GGG keeps forcing players to do things they don't wanna do to access content it will backfire in the long run.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Krayken wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

It is inevitable but not anytime soon. POE will probably be alive and strong 5 years from now. Hopefully we have an AH by then :D

you can always play allods arto :p
Let the games begin
i would play in standard if it wasnt in such a piss poor state. that league has been the dumping grounds for every other league ever, and the stuff just keeps piling up. i mean i guess it doesnt sound bad at first but personally i like the rarity of things. i just dont get the sparkly feeling when i get an item in standard because its nothing special. at some point i made a compromise with myself and played in hc, at least there people actually die and lose items so its not like things pile up forever. still do temp leagues once in a while though
Oh, my... it is sad that i think the second post was one of the most rational posts on this tread?

Really tho... i dont get why the rage towards standard, i play there cause i have no patience to start all over again every 4 or so months, maybe if the leagues lasted closer to a year i would change, but w/e. Really, whats so bad about it?
The big amount of people that dont want to relog from breach to make a 10c trade? Maybe im really lucky, but the amount of people that dont want to relog dont look so big at all, and really not even close to the amount of people that dont respond because reasons
Because you need to play 24/7 just to be average? Well, its not like youll be punished if youre not "average" anyway. The only instance i can think that how well you are compared to other people matters is on pxp and san arena and pxp queues are so desert even completing leo's daily is tricky because theres never anything to kill
Because the economy is in ruins? Oh well... maybe mid-tier itens have more value on the opening days of a league, but the value of most uniqs dont take much time to become similar between both leagues anyway... a 6l shav will eventually cost ~10exa, a 6l bi resist armor with good life and base stats will cost ~2exa, a 6l 400dps rare bow will cost ~15/20exa, tabula will cost ~15/20c, 1c will be around 15alt and 1exa will be around 70c... it dont take much time to get to something like that
"
Trylobyte wrote:
Standard league is in a rough place. Here are two reasons why.

Standard is useless for testing new content. This is where the temporary leagues shine - They add in a lot of new stuff and players have to work through the game as a new player would, testing the content as they go. The developers thus get a picture of how well-tuned the content is from a new character's perspective.

I think new content is more enjoyable on a clean fresh slate,you get to experience growing into it.I have purposely started fresh in other games where it's had major new content because your ready built setups tend to trivialise the content.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info