Development Manifesto: The Atlas

"
hypnoticz wrote:
still hoping for a search function on the atlas

Yes! Really miss the search function on Atlas
Please add hover radius for sextants on maps :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
100% Ethical, most of the time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"
Qarl wrote:
The Hallowed Ground Unique Map drops maps based on Atlas progression you have. It has no restrictions on what tier of map can drop, so that means that a player with a mostly-unlocked Atlas can easily get very high level maps from this low-tier unique one. The combined high experience and map drops make this map far too rewarding. It is important that unique maps are rewarding, but we have over-pitched the rewards for this map. We will examine the rewards available on this map and make some reductions. The likely solution is locking the maximum tier of maps that can drop.
Cool, haven't seen this map and it is already nerfed, tyvm guys.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
The Hallowed Ground Unique Map drops maps based on Atlas progression you have. It has no restrictions on what tier of map can drop, so that means that a player with a mostly-unlocked Atlas can easily get very high level maps from this low-tier unique one. The combined high experience and map drops make this map far too rewarding. It is important that unique maps are rewarding, but we have over-pitched the rewards for this map. We will examine the rewards available on this map and make some reductions. The likely solution is locking the maximum tier of maps that can drop.
Cool, haven't seen this map and it is already nerfed, tyvm guys.

That's GGG for you :P

Nerf good stuff and let game breaking stuff fly for ages (CoC, Frost Wall, BF Mines, BV Pathfinder, etc)
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Sep 16, 2016, 4:05:56 AM
The general idea of the Atlas is great. I do actually like it. But...

Unique maps are now even more unattainable then they already were. As long as I haven't unlocked unique map X I am forced to keep running connected map Y, right? Horrible concept. I will most likely never ever see a unique map in a new league, again. Shame.

Mapping is still the same meta game where obscene currency is needed to even think about high level maps. I had to alch every low level map to even break into tear 5-6 in the first place. And without at least alching every map, sustained tier 9-10 is impossible, let alone higher. Still don't see the point to make high level maps about wealth, and not about skill.

The game keeps growing, improving, challenging players... But personally I feel endgame still is not where it should be.

My suggestion:
Atlas features the ability to play and complete every map once, without the need of actual map drops. Obviously you have to complete the previous connected map to move on to the next, as a sort of questline. While attempting to complete a given map, no gear, currency or maps can drop, except from the boss. Bosses drop their own map guaranteed. Once you complete any given map this way, it is "unlocked" for regular play.

This way you give everybody a shot at trying to beat the endgame content, which currently is the Shaper. While you do this, you get maps to start your regular grind with.

This will ensure, that if my character hits a wall at tier X, I get to farm like before and try to get better. Once better geared / higher level / more experienced, you can attempt higher tiers again.

This will also ensure you don't get stuck because a certain map simply won't drop.

This will also ensure strong and experienced players can quickly work towards higher tier and start their grind where they should be at.

This concept won't break the current structure of the Atlas either. You can't get maps that you haven't unlocked yet anyways, except for the one next in line. You can still let those maps drop, but you are given a 'free' first run with a guaranteed map at the end.
Atlas search function? great! ٩(◕‿◕。)۶
thanks for your continued efforts!
"
morbo wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
Atziri and the Uber Atziri areas obey your Atlas progression when dropping maps. ...

Allowing map drops here to generally ignore your progression would short-circuit Atlas progression too much, and also allow massive economic advantage for those running Atziri early in leagues. ...

The Endgame Labyrinth allows for some bypassing of Atlas progression with special chests that ignore what you've unlocked. Currently we are pretty happy with where this sits as a reward.

I'm not sure if GGG guys are aware how lucrative the Uber Lab is. It's miles ahead of Atziri. Right now it drops everything: tons of quality gems, div. cards, high maps (bypassing Atlas), currency, sac. frags & ilvl 84 bases.

The Uber Lab completely bypasses Atlas progression, because Uber runners dont farm for Offerings, they buy them. They also get Uber trials on /global 820, because doing all the trials yourself takes ages (doing it solo I've only unlocked Uber Lab at lvl 91!!)

Binding map drops from Atziri to Atlas progression was the right call. But leaving Uber Lab the best option for everything is a very bad decision.

So much this!
Almost forces you to plan your first build as a lab farmer.
If it would be just qgems, currency and enchants - okay. But lab as the best way to progress in the alternative endgame (maps) is just stupid.
"
IceDeal wrote:
The map drop ratio since the Atlas was introduced is beyond horrible, it really feel like you achieve nothing and is the most frustrating experience I've ever had with PoE so far. I strongly suspect that the map drop system was heavily nerfed according to the bonus system wich is in fact not a bonus at all but simply a way to come back to the previous map drops ratio.

+1. That's exactly what they do :) One step forward but 2 Seven League Steps back. When they take that step forward again players rejoice with "yes GGG! thank you! that's why we love you!" when in reality that step just gets them closer to where they use to be.

New players won't know any different, but looks like older players are not losing sight of these shenanigans :)
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
Last edited by cgexile on Sep 16, 2016, 9:22:15 AM
Nice o/. And thanks for nerfing this broken map that i didn't know (i rarely see any unique maps). I guess some made a lot considering how little it costs atm even in ESC. I don't even understand a price so low for this.

"
Vaydra wrote:
Please add hover radius for sextants on maps :)

Yep, it would be nice, along a search function rather than having to hover a map in your inventory to see it's location on the atlas. Even if it's better than currently, this tool someone made and shared on Reddit will still be more useful.

Btw, i really like the Atlas. I'll finally reach lvl 90 for the first time (currently 89). My previous highest level was 87 in the Prophecy league. I did more t10 & t11 maps than i ever did. Bad luck on the t12 one however and i put it for sale, way too "dangerous" for me :p (mainly mana issues & mobs resist too high ; i'm playing fire nova mine (190 mana / cast)).
Last edited by Harest on Sep 16, 2016, 8:09:08 AM
"
Great stuff, thanks for the hard work.

Please look into a way to see what maps will be covered when you want to apply a sextant to a map. At the moment, it is pretty difficult to tell.

^^ This. ^^

To me, this would be the most important improvement to the UI. I've ruined three sextants already that didn't quite cover the Atlas area I thought they'd cover and ended up with two maps in the radius instead of the four I had anticipated, Have also missed trying to overlap the sextants.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info