Development Manifesto: The Atlas

Please add a way to see which maps a sextant will influence, before we apply them. I've "wasted" some sextants, because the targeted map was just out of range.

[Suggestion] Show range of sextant before we apply them
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
May I point out a major major flaw in the atlas progression.... we cannot progress through the atlas AT ALL. The only way to get maps for the atlas is to buy them from other players. The reason for this is simple, you start without unlocks. The only reason any player is progressing at all, is because we are all leeching map drops(buying) from players that got lucky and made it to the end in the atlas, on a specific path.

I'll give you an example, to show what I mean:
Let's say a player has reached tier two maps, in one part of the atlas and didn't get any tier two maps in the other paths. The player runs that tier two map, but CANNOT drop any other tier two's because they aren't unlocked yet. This means that unless a player buys the other tier two maps, they will never ever drop for them, and they have to re-start mapping at tier 1 maps. Only the same tier two, the unlocked one, will keep dropping over and over. That means there's no progress at all! This progress block goes for EVERY tier.
This can be easily fixed by allowing any of the same tier maps to drop, regardless of unlocking, if you run a specific tier map. What I mean is, when you do a tier 2 map and haven't unlocked any other tier two's, any tier two map should be able to drop from that tier two you are running.

This is a MAJOR flaw/oversight in the atlas, and needs a fix asap.

Other than that, once you've unlocked most of the atlas/maps, the map drops do seem better than before, and at that point the atlas seems good and alot of fun. But we can only get that far by buying maps.

PS: Currently at 99/125.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Sep 16, 2016, 1:49:06 AM
"We do need some way to make up for not running maps normally when you choose to run Atziri. We have added an additional drop to Atziri, where she will drop a map in a way that ignores your Atlas progression. This allows Atziri runners to get some map progress by default, or trade value if they prefer, but does not allow too much in the way of map drops ignoring progression."

What? Make up your mind! It is 100% bypassing the way map drops adhere to your progression!
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 16, 2016, 2:06:12 AM
"
Zvim wrote:
Please add a search function to the Atlas so it can highlight on the map a map you type into a search box.

+1

and maybe when player is in the map right now, it should show in atlas too. some king pulsating efect or something.
"
Qarl wrote:
Atziri and the Uber Atziri areas obey your Atlas progression when dropping maps. ...

Allowing map drops here to generally ignore your progression would short-circuit Atlas progression too much, and also allow massive economic advantage for those running Atziri early in leagues. ...

The Endgame Labyrinth allows for some bypassing of Atlas progression with special chests that ignore what you've unlocked. Currently we are pretty happy with where this sits as a reward.

I'm not sure if GGG guys are aware how lucrative the Uber Lab is. It's miles ahead of Atziri. Right now it drops everything: tons of quality gems, div. cards, high maps (bypassing Atlas), currency, sac. frags & ilvl 84 bases.

The Uber Lab completely bypasses Atlas progression, because Uber runners dont farm for Offerings, they buy them. They also get Uber trials on /global 820, because doing all the trials yourself takes ages (doing it solo I've only unlocked Uber Lab at lvl 91!!)

Binding map drops from Atziri to Atlas progression was the right call. But leaving Uber Lab the best option for everything is a very bad decision.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Sep 16, 2016, 2:13:19 AM
great news
keep up the good work!
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
Remove: 3 portals, random extra mod and creeping agony as part of sextant reworks, please.

Why shouldn't there be difficult mods or "bad rolls" in the sextant? Making Sextants more rewarding doesn't mean making the mods easier to deal with. Creeping Agony is annoying as **** but if they'd give it a pack size boost I'd be willing to run it.

3 less portals is bad though. When running solo, it's just a free 20% quantity. When running with a party: "Ok. Let's either kick three guys or run something else. -.- "
--------------------------------------
Dudes need their beauty sleep too
like uvne already said, it's really nice you got into detail about your design problems when balancing map progression for atziri + labyrinth runners, but completely miss out balancing regarding party play and map sharing.

or am i wrong and only the map opener get's the completion bonus for killing the boss already?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Good job !
"
morbo wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
Atziri and the Uber Atziri areas obey your Atlas progression when dropping maps. ...

Allowing map drops here to generally ignore your progression would short-circuit Atlas progression too much, and also allow massive economic advantage for those running Atziri early in leagues. ...

The Endgame Labyrinth allows for some bypassing of Atlas progression with special chests that ignore what you've unlocked. Currently we are pretty happy with where this sits as a reward.

I'm not sure if GGG guys are aware how lucrative the Uber Lab is. It's miles ahead of Atziri. Right now it drops everything: tons of quality gems, div. cards, high maps (bypassing Atlas), currency, sac. frags & ilvl 84 bases.

The Uber Lab completely bypasses Atlas progression, because Uber runners dont farm for Offerings, they buy them. They also get Uber trials on /global 820, because doing all the trials yourself takes ages (doing it solo I've only unlocked Uber Lab at lvl 91!!)

Binding map drops from Atziri to Atlas progression was the right call. But leaving Uber Lab the best option for everything is a very bad decision.

The next step for me to upgrade my first character in Essence would be either running the Über lab or finding/buying me Taste of Hate and Vessel of Vinktar so while I'm making a new character I'm trying to save up as much as I can 'cause I just can't get into the Lab (I've made a decision not to buy trials or higher tier maps just to see how long it takes to progress through the the game solo now. I've bought maps but only ones I've already unlocked)

Of course the flasks are just too damn expensive for me so I'd need to get my arse through the Lab but I just have about 20 offerings waiting for the last trial to ever appear. I even have a friend who has gotten 36 Offerings and he's missing the same trial as I am, Trial of Lingering Pain. His offering amount matters 'cause we've mostly run in a party and he seems to have better luck with drops than me :P

So we've run somewhere around 300 maps and gotten up to tier 12 and still RNG blocks our entrance to the Lab. We should just type /global 820 and be done with it but buying or begging shouldn't be the way to progress through something that can be considered to be part of the main content in the game and a vital step to get your build to be where you want it to be.
Dudes need their beauty sleep too

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info