Atlas Map drops...are terrible?

Make a public group and add more people. More people = more quant so nonmap drops get more interesting. Map drops will always be locked to the owner of the map as long as you are in the map when a mob drops it (except unique maps). It also distracts you from the feeling of grinding for the maps. Maybe it also gets you friends for later?

Work hard of filling out the sub tier 10 maps for atlas so you get as high bonus as possible for +2 drops. Sure, it doesn't add to the amount of maps but it helps on those that do drop.

When you roll the maps always try to get packsize but don't underestimate the value of "additional rare monsters" and "additional magic monsters".

As others have said: At t12+ always start off with clean map, chisel x4, alch, then reroll until you get the good stuff. Note that in some cases you can buy the maps for less than you spend on rerolling and every now and then buying a second map might even give you better return than spending time on rerolling a not-so-good rare map. Learn how to use the sextants (youtube vids) and if you don't midn grinding same map over and over you could do the shaped map strat(I would not do this as it is too boring :P ). Alternatively sell the sextants and buy maps for the currency :P

If your character can do uber-lab, farm uber lab for the end game grind challenge. That should net you a nice starter map base. Chances are pretty big that within 10 runs you have hit at least 1 map chest and gotten enough mixed currency to spend on map rolling.

If your character can do uber atziri, the area drops a lot of maps and you can sell carry service and keep all the map drops.

Last resort: play the hideout game where you rely on trading to make money and just buy all the maps you would ever need :P
Last edited by arknath on Aug 19, 2017, 11:36:35 PM
Never had this much success running high tier maps as this league.
T16 cost 6-7c and frags sell for 6-7c.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
well i have zero problems i allways have a bunch of t16 maps and below i dont even need to talk about it
Is this something new? It's always been like this with atlas. If i understand correctly, you can only get unlocked maps or those adjacent to the map you are running. So odds of you getting all the maps you need naturally are slim. You have to buy them from poe.trade or zana or just grind that shit.

This is why the shaped strand meta works, hasnt this always been the way it is? Why is this a topic 4 leagues after it came out. I have only played hafl the leagues since then and i got it lol.

I would say the majority of players don't realize the power of sextant modding and rolling quant + pack size. The reason WHY shaped strand became the meta was because of the amount of sextant blocking you could run down the east side of the map, along with the amount of sextants that could hit strand.

But as that knowledge trickled down to the average player, the take away was that strand is a short, dense straight line that was quick and efficient. People were correctly running it but for the wrong reason.

Popular streamers like Ziz advocate for large volume of low quality maps to be 'efficient' - that works for Ziz who can no-life this game 20 hours a day but when the average player adopts that strategy, they feel the end-game is bland and boring. I'd recommend the exact opposite; Stack EVERYTHING YOU CAN into your maps; you'll have a far more rewarding experience clearing maps that not only challenge you, but also rain loot down every time you run it. It feels pretty good to run 1 Abyss map and pick up 4 more T14-15 maps plus a minotaur map, a Kaom's Heart card and a bunch of ilvl 84 gear.

I've seen a lot of people ask streamers what they should shape in 3.0 - it shows a complete lack of understanding what to look for on the atlas. I'd imagine most players do not use sextants. Fewer still roll and stack additional mobs on their sextants. And fewer still sextant block and never run their blocker maps. This on top of players who just roll any magic/rare map that avoids curse/reflect rather than rolling specifically for big rolls on quant/pack size. Nor do they level Zana to 7 or 8 and use her mods on these maps, or include 3 sacrifices.

GGG put so many layers into roiding out maps but because a streamer said 'clear 200 quick maps a day and you'll get more ex drops over time', players neglect how fun and worthwhile mapping can be. Plus they burn out on dumpster map runs and conclude the game isn't fun or rewarding enough. It was the same thing with the crafting masters; Few players understood how lvl 8 masters could allow you to always craft a +3 staff.
Last edited by muzein on Aug 20, 2017, 9:02:06 AM
When i see how many maps some streamers got, i think i have some curse on my account. Today i run 3 shaped mesa, all had sextans with more mobs, 4 chisels, pack size 20+, vall fragment in device, bloodlines mod from zana. My drop was 1 shape strand. It's normal? O_o
Last edited by qbatronix on Aug 30, 2017, 8:45:44 AM
its working flawless, i dont have any problem at all.
"
qbatronix wrote:
When i see how many maps some streamers got, i think i have some curse on my account. Today i run 3 shaped mesa, all had sextans with more mobs, 4 chisels, pack size 20+, vall fragment in device, bloodlines mod from zana. My drop was 1 shape strand. It's normal? O_o

Your sample size is the one thing that's off. What you might not have noticed about streamers is that they build up a base pool of 15-20 maps before they dedicate to running that 1 map. You'll see someone like Pohx have only 1 T11 map on his atlas - he then runs T10-15 maps and banks all of his T11 maps (which are all the same map). Once you have a large supply of that map, you can invest in jacking up the mods on the map and running them all day. You won't see a drop in your base and any excess can be sold to maintain the costs of modding. The base pool protects you from having a few bad runs where you get less maps than you consumed.

I would also advise against chisel + sac + zana + sextant on a T11 map. The idea behind that method is to get a return on your costs - you should be running (preferably) T15 maps where you'll get ilvl 84 base items, steel/opal rings, cards, etc. Shaped Spider Forest is an acceptable T11 to invest in if you believe you might one day get a Doctor card to drop. Many of the higher maps have decent cards that sell well - take a look at the top priced divination cards on poeninja, then look those cards up on the wiki to see where they drop; a few cards might influence your preference in map selection.
Unfortunately, it's just random. I had a more than 200 quan T16 corrupt map (sacr. fragments, zana mod) that dropped NOTHING (no currency above chance orb, no maps, no good bases, nothing). And then I can run a white T12 map and drop several T11 and T12 maps.

You will only start to see gains from your investment in maps (chiseling, alchs, etc) after running a very large number of them (so over a long period of time).

And regarding sextans, I personally made more currency through selling them than using them.
Ever since Atlas launched im filled with Red maps,not just t11. Since today im even throwing many of them away to save space since 23 tabs can hold only so much... Don't trade for them,don't play all day(which doesn't matter anyway). Point is,someone's doing something wrong.

Last few days,i've been doing t14-15 and t16 most of the time. At some point i couldn't even rid myself of t16.
Last edited by Kasapnica on Aug 30, 2017, 5:49:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info