Reddit is Going Nuts Over Trade

"
Bars wrote:
"
sarannah101 wrote:

However, the real issue with trading isn't ease of trading, or how often actual players trade. the real issue with an auction house is both the botters(who will write auction house scripts) and the flippers, who will camp the auction house 24/7. These two kinds of "players"(for lack of a better word), are the ones who destroy the markets in every online game. Meaning that even if GGG were to make an auction house, they would have to make limits so those two types of players cannot destroy the market. Limits like only being able to buy and sell two items through the auction house per day, only being able to list 3-5 items maximum, a maximum buy-out limit of 10 exalted(so people cannot keep inflating prices) etc etc. Limits that actual players wouldn't really feel, but the ones that want to/will destroy the economy would.

These limits are completely unrealistic. As for the flippers and botters, don't worry - they are already flipping and botting and using trade scripts anyway. The flippers aren't destroying the market, they are regulating it and making it almost impossible for casual traders to catch super-good trades (this won't change with an AH), on the other hand they make it possible to sell items very quickly if you're unwilling to wait. I find this particularly useful for currency trades. I don't give a fuck about paying a bit more or receiving a bit less, if I can avoid using the trade chat and not have to wait, I'm happy.

Why would these limits be unrealistic? Actual players will run into these limits occasionally, but wouldn't be too limited by it, they would simply have an easy way to trade for two items per day without the hassle of going to a trading site. Yet if they find a very very expensive item, 10ex+, they could take the time to trade it away outside the auction house. Yet those that trade 24/7 or use trading scripts, will be limited by this, and will have to keep using the old ways of trading(trading sites).
Also, about flippers regulating the in-game economy... this is very bad, GGG should find a way to control the economy. They have actually already partly done this with the orbs selling at vendors, and the crafting of masters for a certain price. This sets an upper limit to how much an item can cost. They should expand onto this, and create an upper limit for every item in the game(even without an auction house!!). Once they do this, an auction house cannot harm the game in any way, as GGG has then beforehand already set the upper price limits for everything. Which means prices cannot keep inflating, due to flippers and auction house bots/scripts.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jun 29, 2016, 5:37:31 AM
me being unpleasant - edited out
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 29, 2016, 5:52:49 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Sorry, not going to even try to explain why a 10ex upper cost limit, two transactions per day and 3-5 listed items are unrealistic. I'm going to assume you're clueless and not waste my time arguing with you.

People who obviuosly have no clue or experience with trading shouldn't have opinions and recommendations about it.

Kinda harsh here, but I actually give a quite good explanation for why these limits for a possible auction house would be good. Even if there is an auction house, you could trade outside of it. Which means the limits on an auction house wouldn't be harsh limits, and would only hurt those that trade 24/7 and those that use trading scripts(the price inflators). While the casuals and actual players who occasionally want to buy or sell an item, can do so without feeling the restrictions.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jun 29, 2016, 5:44:49 AM
It was indeed harsh, sorry about that. I sometimes lose my cool and become quite unpleasant. Let's just say I strongly disagree and leave it at that.

Edited it out.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 29, 2016, 5:53:01 AM
"
I really just want a delivery system for low priced items.

Example now when I want a Unique to get a Prohpecy:

Hi, I'd like to buy your x for 1 Alch in Prophecy
User is AFK

User is not logged in

No response

User is AFK

Sry I'm doing Lab

User is not logged in

Sry I'm doing a rota

Ok
Invite
"t4t"
"t4t"
Leave Party

Dafuq LOL

Nice trade interaction. Just deliver me the damn 1 Alch Unique so I can back to getting shitty Prophecies to take off my screen.

Exactly this... i repeat EXACTLY FUCKING THIS!
No Problem,
Exile
"
Bars wrote:
Sorry, not going to even try to explain why a 10ex upper cost limit, two transactions per day and 3-5 listed items are unrealistic. I'm going to assume you're clueless and not waste my time arguing with you.

People who obviuosly have no clue or experience with trading shouldn't have opinions and recommendations about it.

Actually, he has a very good point, if you want to make a test regarding the impact of a master vendor, a limited number of interactions and a maximum price would be the way to obtain the most useful results. Leaving the rest of the trade system untouched you would then see if this change works or if it needs further adjustments you can operate them more efficiently as opposed to a full blown regulated AH.

If GGG wanted to change the market, they would have to introduce better "anchored" minimal prices (so that everyone feels they have a grasp at the value of items, heck, base them on the s**tiest roll for uniques, and the same goes for the rares, magics that have valuable suffixes/affixes) and place their bets on self regulating maximal prices.

That would make the maximal price still be free, but it would instead place a "real" value into the hands of the mass of the traders, instead of only fine nosed "flippers"...

The trading process is not efficient at all at the moment, and from my point of view we can't talk about a "trading system" when the game already uses a AH, even if poe.trade is not part of the game, you don't really have another option...

PS: I am a hoarder, and I can say I'm pretty proud of it, I don't like to trade to even buy items, as I feel much better if I drop what I need - hell, my >70 tabs of stuff on Standard keep me happy, and I'll always buy more if the scrolling process gets better, but I'll never trade my stuff as I have limited game time and I prefer to buy more space to store my "*rap", than to quit a map to just start negotiating price, wait for a response and finally either fail a trade/finish a trade. And no, I don't feel that the public stash tabs are enough improvement at all in this regard...

Oh, and I know I'm doing it wrong as I keep playing the goddamn game and still offering support, but I just want to get a feeling of content at least, if not outright "fun" for trading my hard earned "wealth"...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Jun 29, 2016, 6:10:48 AM
As stated above, just 10c up items but mostly I reply that " please wait, I will respond asap, am in lab, am in rot, doing uber, in map (14-15) etc... Too many ways I can't just trade at the spot.
No Problem,
Exile
"
Pewzor wrote:
"
databeaver wrote:
"
ressiv wrote:
If you want to talk to someone while trading go to the damn grocery store.

You mean the place where I pick goods from the shelves myself, put them on the conveyor belt, say "hi" to the cashier, she tells me the price, I give her money and get my change, say "thanks" and walk out?

Perfect example of PoE trading is like exactly cept the cashier couldn't go "sorry that item is actually not $2.99 like it says on our company fliers its actually 29.99 pay up or go fuck urself dirty lowballer". They will get sued. Nor could the cashier literally tell you to go fuck yourself because they commit a pricing fraud and didn't really want to sell their goods at that price.

Bait and not answer or low driver scam is what I call it. Not sure what it's technical term is but if a store does it its fraud. An AH cant do it. Scammer would lose his ass because it would be bought instantly.

In PoE it thrives. Fraud thrives.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 29, 2016, 6:16:54 AM
Jesus H Christ.

What the hell kind of scumbags are you people trading with?
I've never had anything like that.

Worst I've had were some non-repliers (afk or otherwise, one person in the Labyrinth) and a couple of people who changed their minds about buying an item after I invited them to my party; (one because they'd just gotten a reply from someone else, and another that didn't say why)
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Bait and not answer or low driver scam is what I call it. Not sure what it's technical term is but if a store does it its fraud. An AH cant do it. Scammer would lose his ass because it would be bought instantly.

The AH equivalent would be setting the maximum auction length with a low starting price but a high buyout and then cancel the auction before the time runs out, banking on a rich, impatient person or someone who just didn't properly assess the listing.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info