Cut-Throat League? Is this going to be like waiting for DIablo 3's pvp

I remember when I first heard about this game, cutthroat was the thing that really caught my attention. Kinda forgot about it after all this time
"
TheScientist wrote:
"
mibuwolf wrote:
Rush something and you'll regret it later.

the game is fine man, nothing is rushed.

people can just start playing on it like any other league, if u dont wanna play their then dont.

look how long d3 took to release... and ya... its garbage, no point delaying this stuff.. just fix on the go or whatever,

game has fine balance ect... people learn to adapt, and neone choosing to play on cutthroat league wont cry anyways...

thats for people playing default and on hardcore, aka ... NINJA LOOTING OMG>

boring.....

like i wanna play this game already, but i cant since my league is not available.
i certainly dont wanna sink more hours into a league i know im not gonna play.

please chris , you have done a great job with the game , no need to worry about it

I feel the same way.. I think I will stick to low lvl pvp and maybe rushing other players untill cutthroat is out. I dont think it will be as bad as waiting for D3 pvp or anything like that. GGG is also small company and PoE is in beta.
+1 bump for nice thread.
"
DexDeus wrote:
You do realise cut throat will be a "exit to log in screen" league dont you?

It is my understanding that they prevented it in the CB events for ONLY the cut-throat races. Regardless, I'd much rather play exit to log in screen cut-throat instead of exit to log in default or hardcore. Which happens a lot more than most would like to admit.

My fear about GGG's implementation of a permanent Cut-throat league will be in the form of paid leagues. I mean I'd pay for this if I had to, especially if there was a like an "admission price" for the league that goes to the creator of the league. I don't think I should have to pay for it, but I'd take it if that's the closest I could get to an official cut-throat league.

However, the issue then becomes what happens when that person doesn't want to support the league anymore? Can the rest of the community take over the costs? How do they know the total cost remaining? Do they just all lose their characters? etc etc.

*EDIT* After giving it more thought:

They could make it so paid leagues require a pre-purchase of say 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc. Then have somebody propose the league and make a petition of sorts. Where you need to raise XXXXXX dollars and once that is reached the "donations" are then accepted by GGG (not the petioner).
-ign rptd (Hardcore) _riptide (default and that's an underscore too)
Last edited by riptid3 on Apr 1, 2013, 1:01:56 PM
"
riptid3 wrote:
My fear about GGG's implementation of a permanent Cut-throat league will be in the form of paid leagues. I mean I'd pay for this if I had to, especially if there was a like an "admission price" for the league that goes to the creator of the league. I don't think I should have to pay for it, but I'd take it if that's the closest I could get to an official cut-throat league.

However, the issue then becomes what happens when that person doesn't want to support the league anymore? Can the rest of the community take over the costs? How do they know the total cost remaining? Do they just all lose their characters? etc etc.

They could make it so paid leagues require a pre-purchase of say 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc. Then have somebody propose the league and make a petition of sorts. Where you need to raise XXXXXX dollars and once that is reached the "donations" are then accepted by GGG (not the petioner).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 1, 2013, 1:43:57 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
riptid3 wrote:

Well considering GGG has already said they are doing paid leagues... That's the only way the could make a paid league without it screwing over the community. Please suggest ANYTHING remotely close to it's effectiveness in fairness and safety.

Because if it's as simple as me creating a cut-throat league and then saying -

"get fucked ScrotieMcB, because you did not like my idea some time ago. Going to shut the league down. Because I'm an irrational power hungry asshole. I'll gladly ruin the fun of others just so it effects you"

Or

"Woah, I didn't realize this idea was so good that I'm getting over 20,000 in donations. I think I'll just keep this and say fuck em."

Then we will have tons of issues come up on the matter that would have been avoidable in a setup similar to what I suggested. Granted I thought about it while taking a shit. So not too much thought went into it. But it does remove a lot of the problems with a paid league under one persons control.

If the system supports a paid league with thousands of players, it doesn't make sense to have 1 person to control it. Either GGG or the community as a whole should. Sure if you want to play with 20-50 buddies, then 1 person isn't a bad thing.

I think something like cut-throat would generate more interest than 50 people. If I posted right now cut-throat league opening tomorrow, cost is X. How many people do you think would want in? Assuming of those 2 million accounts 50% of them are mule and multi accounts and going with the 1% number for cut-throat. That's at least 10,000 people. Let's say 80% of the people that want to play would not want to pay a dime, this is probably a really high number, but it still leaves at least 2000 people.

I mean this is really off topic as I said it was just a fear of how they end up "implementing" a permanent cut-throat league. But I hope it illustrates to GGG that it would be something better off done through official means. Even if it was a pay to play league. Again I wouldn't want to have to pay for it, but if GGG believes it would cost them more money than they would make off of that playerbase.. I'd gladly pay for it.
Last edited by riptid3 on Apr 1, 2013, 4:12:01 PM
All this was written by tpapp:

The issue with cutthroat is GGG finding the time to sit down and figure out the mechanics and restrictions necessary to keep the permanent league fun and then code it all up and implement it. The past few months GGG has been spending all of their time implementing necessary content for Act 3 and Open Beta. Hopefully once Open Beta is past and all the launch issues are taken care of we'll here more about it. As I said, a permanent cutthroat league is definitely something that GGG wants to do. It's just a question of content priorities and when they'll find the time to do it.

Just for reference here are some of GGG's immediate priorities:
Resolving any balance/stability issues that come up with Open Beta
Adding more skills
Adding more microtransactions
Finishing the Act 3 areas and quests that won't be done in time for Open Beta
Updating and adding more PvP options
Incrementally improving Acts 1 and 2 (to match Act 3's level of quality)
Upgrading the trading system (including trading through the forums)

I (and GGG) don't know yet where or if implementing a permanent cutthroat league is going to fit into that feature schedule.
"
FIreskull wrote:

The issue with cutthroat is GGG finding the time to sit down and figure out the mechanics and restrictions necessary to keep the permanent league fun and then code it all up and implement it. The past few months GGG has been spending all of their time implementing necessary content for Act 3 and Open Beta. Hopefully once Open Beta is past and all the launch issues are taken care of we'll here more about it. As I said, a permanent cutthroat league is definitely something that GGG wants to do. It's just a question of content priorities and when they'll find the time to do it.

Adding more skills

I (and GGG) don't know yet where or if implementing a permanent cutthroat league is going to fit into that feature schedule.

They already had a system in place for cut-throat which is the point of this thread. It doesn't matter if it's a 1 hour or 10000 hour league. The code is all there. Unless you're arguing that they have database issues specific to cut-throat. Which is unlikely.

The hardest part is already done(at least I think). All that is left on GGG's part is the funding for an additional database and servers, minor bug fixes and deciding whether it's worth it financially at this stage of the game.
Last edited by riptid3 on Apr 1, 2013, 3:50:08 PM
"
riptid3 wrote:
"
FIreskull wrote:

Adding more skills

They already had a system in place for cut-throat which is the point of this thread. It doesn't matter if it's a 1 hour or 10000 hour league. The code is all there. Unless you're arguing that they have database issues specific to cut-throat. Which is unlikely.

The hardest part is already done(at least I think). All that is left on GGG's part is the funding for an additional database and servers, minor bug fixes and deciding whether it's worth it financially at this stage of the game.

The problem about the league is a balance problem where you can be level 90 and go to normal terraces and destroy people who are trying the league for the first time... You cant do that in a 1 hour race. (Allthough you can spawnkill level 2,s once you have reached the ledge or further... u just go back to terraces and spawnkill people... everyone will go to terraces... terraces will be crowded with people who are level 1 to 90 because of spawnkilling issues. It will be turned into dumb spawnkilling very quickly... It will become a Twilight Strand league since this is the only place where you cant get killed by someone who outlevels you in an insane OP degree. (Except for end-game maps that is... So I quess it will be all about who is lucky enough not to get spawnkilled by a high lvl.)

Another problem is that they dont have a system to keep track of player K/D. Im not sure about this... but I think they want the leaderboars to be based on KD instead of levels... I mean thats why the 1 hour races didnt have prices.
"
FIreskull wrote:

The problem about the league is a balance problem where you can be level 90 and go to normal terraces and destroy people who are trying the league for the first time... You cant do that in a 1 hour race. (Allthough you can spawnkill level 2,s once you have reached the ledge or further... u just go back to terraces and spawnkill people... everyone will go to terraces... terraces will be crowded with people who are level 1 to 90 because of spawnkilling issues. It will be turned into dumb spawnkilling very quickly... It will become a Twilight Strand league since this is the only place where you cant get killed by someone who is 99 or 98 levels higher than you.

Are you telling me it takes a significant amount of time to add an additional rule that prevents somebody from being high level AND hostile in a lower difficulty than they've completed? You wouldn't need that rule in merciless.

Sure, you'd get those people that are like lvl 60 and haven't killed normal piety. But who cares? It's cut-throat, it's not suppose to be fair. Not to mention there's already spawn protection.
Last edited by riptid3 on Apr 1, 2013, 4:57:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info