Cut-Throat League? Is this going to be like waiting for DIablo 3's pvp

"
ZasZ314 wrote:
"
WhisperByte wrote:
I would like to point out that PoE is not even out of Beta. GGG are most likely going to release cut-throat league shortly before 1.0 release of this game (I think). Compare that to D3 where pvp was released several months AFTER the 1.0 release

Keep in mind that GGG, for all intents and purposes, considers the game released at this point. Obviously there are still things to be tweaked, and GGG will constantly be improving the game and releasing additional content, but now that the game is free to play, open to the public, and their business model with microtransactions is in full-swing, you can't really call this just a beta test. Any announcement they make in the future along the lines of "Hey, beta is over, it is released!" will likely be ceremonial in nature and we will just keep playing like we always have.

That said, now that the game is open to the public and they are trying to get people motivated to buy microtransactions, they need to be aware of what their player-base wants to play. If people spend a lot of time playing your game, they are more likely to buy little cosmetic doodads within the game, that's just how the F2P model works. There is a subset of PoE players, no matter how small it may be, that is only interested in playing the cutthroat league. Why deprive them of that, especially when you have given them a taste of what it's like in the closed beta events? Especially when this subset of players isn't likely to care that the league isn't quite tuned correctly or is imbalanced, because that's sort of the whole spirit of cutthroat anyways.

If there is something they specifically want to address before its release, that's fine, but they've been abnormally quiet about cutthroat compared to some of the other things they have coming down the pipe.

Thank you! Very well said!

ya i mean its true, saying the game is still in beta is really just a stray tactic, also saying that the game still needs time really is not true, the game is fine.

Sure, if theirs something specific, like a mechanic that really needs to be addressed and finished up in a weeks time or something , then ya, that's fine. But at least a Dev response on the release date for this league would be appreciated. One of the major turn ons for this game was this league and how it related to all the real d2 pvpers out their.
GGG is probably still wobbling a bit on exactly what they want with cutthroat. They have been pretty clear about one thing though:

- They intend cutthroat to only be run as short duration events (<a week).

So "economy building" sounds like you completely misunderstands what they have been saying! I am pretty sure that they will listen to people wanting a permanent league, but it is not something they had big plans for having by the end of closed beta! The following is a mods information:

"
tpapp157 wrote:
There will not be a permanent Cutthroat league with Open Beta. It's something that GGG does want to do but they have other priorities for the near future. There will still be short term cutthroat events held on a semiregular basis.

Apart from that they have announced the big race league seasons being worked on. I imagine that cutthroat in some form will be part of that line-up at some point. In closed beta they had problems with getting cutthroat to track kills, deaths and experience at the same time. This is something they need to look at before they release cutthroat. Having a cutthroat league without kill-counters and a clear formula for how the "winner" will be determined, as well as several scalings and severe balance issues, it is safe to say that "releasing" it now is a bit hasty. When people start complaining about cutthroat being "unplayable" you are not the one standing with the short stick having to defend it...
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
I have never read anything about a cutthroat permanent league. Why do you think there will be one?
You expect me to act as something I'm not? I picked this name for a reason.
"
radiatoren wrote:
GGG is probably still wobbling a bit on exactly what they want with cutthroat. They have been pretty clear about one thing though:

- They intend cutthroat to only be run as short duration events (<a week).

So "economy building" sounds like you completely misunderstands what they have been saying! I am pretty sure that they will listen to people wanting a permanent league, but it is not something they had big plans for having by the end of closed beta! The following is a mods information:

"
tpapp157 wrote:
There will not be a permanent Cutthroat league with Open Beta. It's something that GGG does want to do but they have other priorities for the near future. There will still be short term cutthroat events held on a semiregular basis.

Apart from that they have announced the big race league seasons being worked on. I imagine that cutthroat in some form will be part of that line-up at some point. In closed beta they had problems with getting cutthroat to track kills, deaths and experience at the same time. This is something they need to look at before they release cutthroat. Having a cutthroat league without kill-counters and a clear formula for how the "winner" will be determined, as well as several scalings and severe balance issues, it is safe to say that "releasing" it now is a bit hasty. When people start complaining about cutthroat being "unplayable" you are not the one standing with the short stick having to defend it...

Well you may be right, but the fact that they would turn cut throat league into a short race league of some sort would be a critical mistake to all the hardcore fans of the old d2 style. This league needs to be permanent, and it needs to be released.

In all honesty, why don't they let the gamers decide what they want, make one cutthroat league permanent and another one a race, whats the big deal?

Leagues do not interact with each other in any way so you are safe.

Its just getting really sad and I don't want this cutthroat league thing to sell its self short since something like this usually creates its own game play style ect,

you talk about balance and stuff, but, that's something that you would learn in the league

more leagues need to be an option

The only negative thing I can see from this is , maybe, the lack of players involved. However, this is not an issue the players really wanting to play cutthroat league will worry about.

We all had high expectation of d3, and look what happened, all are hopes were crushed by the brutal reality that the game atmosphere was world of warcraft, I would just be finally happy for once if this GGG company came through and made the cutthroat league permanent. I have a feeling all are hopes are gonna be crushed again.
Last edited by TheScientist on Feb 19, 2013, 2:08:02 PM
"
TheScientist wrote:
"
WhisperByte wrote:
I would like to point out that PoE is not even out of Beta. GGG are most likely going to release cut-throat league shortly before 1.0 release of this game (I think). Compare that to D3 where pvp was released several months AFTER the 1.0 release

saying the game is stil in beta is kinda a joke, the game is released, nothing more to be said, it has already been in the real beta phase long ago.

Nope.avi

Plenty of features are working and implemented, but I'm sure is plenty left to do in GGG's agenda.
You call it a released product does not make it a released product at all.
IGN: Mibuwolf
"
mibuwolf wrote:
"
TheScientist wrote:
"
WhisperByte wrote:

saying the game is stil in beta is kinda a joke, the game is released, nothing more to be said, it has already been in the real beta phase long ago.

Nope.avi

Plenty of features are working and implemented, but I'm sure is plenty left to do in GGG's agenda.
You call it a released product does not make it a released product at all.

No game is ever fully polished on release, saying its in open beta is just a safe way of saying were gonna release it now.
"
TheScientist wrote:

No game is ever fully polished on release, saying its in open beta is just a safe way of saying were gonna release it now.

Sorry no.
Alpha is a group of very trusted people who get access to a very buggy client.
Closed Beta is a very rough still buggy period.
Open beta is: we believe we have most of the systems worked out and now need a larger quantity of TESTERS to ensure that we can test high load but we still plan to make MASSIVE changes to the game. There is a release planned in the moderate to far future which will be the game with 4 acts.

This is Beta. It is not a release
You expect me to act as something I'm not? I picked this name for a reason.
Last edited by Arrogant on Feb 19, 2013, 3:14:29 PM
"
Arrogant wrote:
"
TheScientist wrote:

Sorry no.
Alpha is a group of very trusted people who get access to a very buggy client.
Closed Beta is a very rough still buggy period.
Open beta is: we believe we have most of the systems worked out and now need a larger quantity of TESTERS to ensure that we can test high load but we still plan to make MASSIVE changes to the game. There is a release planned in the moderate to far future which will be the game with 4 acts.

This is Beta. It is not a release

Im not really here to debate if this game is coined 'released' or in so called 'open beta' aka released. Its off topic.

I just need a date announced for the cutthroat league.

+1 please all who agree.
Last edited by TheScientist on Feb 19, 2013, 3:24:20 PM
"
TheScientist wrote:
Cut-Throat League? Is this going to be like waiting for DIablo 3's pvp

Are you kidding me? We are still under one month into beta. It's not like having the retail disc in your hands and missing content.
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
They are expecting cutthroat to cater to a very small part of the community. I think they had something like 88 % default, 10 % hardcore, 1 % cutthroat and 1 % ironman as their expectations. That hardcore has proven itself more popular than expected is probably good news for players wanting cutthroat and ironman permanent leagues, but it is a bit too early to glee up since it takes time to set up. I know they will need to change several things like "parent league" system (relating to races), they need separate servers and they need to develop and roughly balance the league system before launching it, just as they need moderators for the chat (yes they use those!).

I think you underestimate the work needed and extra cost of setting it up! As for not costing others anything, the development time is precious! If they need to spend a lot of time on finding extra employees, developing cutthroat and setting up servers for it, there would be a loss for the rest of us!

Making short term race events are a lot easier since it doesnt take any large changes like permanent leagues do. Server stability, moderation and server setup are already set up, so it is easier and cheaper.

Now there are 4 critical systems they work on now: The somewhat well-tested short-term events, the somewhat tested pvp tournaments and the untested act 3x, and trading system. Again, it is a question of prioritizing and so far the 4 above mentioned has been promised as something happening relatively snappy after OB, which will raise the priority! After that, they have some free hands for starting development of act 4, some brushup on act 1 and 2 and Ironman + cutthroat.

Edit: What I am saying is that if you expect cutthroat within a month or two, chances are that you will be disappointed, so learn to love patience and I am sure that the interest for more permanent leagues will make them increase the priority level of more permanent leagues! Something I would suggest a petition/vote/thread for measuring the support for cutthroat. You can make a thread with a more appropriate title like "Let us petition for a permanent cutthroat league!" or "Who is waiting for cutthroat?" and see if there is enough support. This thread is just baiting opposition with its frustration-filled title!
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Last edited by radiatoren on Feb 19, 2013, 3:55:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info