naming and shaming scammers, im very upset.

fuck yeah
There is literally no reason to bump this thread.

"

Is there a legal reason for the strict no name & shame policy?

No, but it's the only way that we can practically operate. The trade screen is designed to protect people against most scam attempts - it forces you to check items before you can accept them. In terms of bad behaviour, accusing someone of being a scammer is even easier than actually pulling off a scam. We cannot investigate each reported case in detail to see if accusations are accurate. Initially, this wasn't our policy. We allowed naming and shaming, but the overwhelming feedback was that the false defamation was far worse.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"
There is literally no reason to bump this thread.

yes there is.

the more people see it and complain, the more probability that some high ranking individual will actually do something about this shit. also i dont care that ur a "valued posted", heres something for you!

And that quote comes from Chris. You have no power here either despite what you think. Their stance isn't going to change.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jul 5, 2016, 11:26:33 PM
"
And that quote comes from Chris. You have no power here either despite what you think. Their stance isn't going to change.

actually: ggg did give in to shitstorms in the past which legitimately encourages people to try (again).

it's a two edged sword to claim to "listen to the player base", you need to make your stance very clear all the time and ggg didn't do it in the post you referenced.

all chris said is, they can't handle ALL complaints about scamming which means they do handle some of them. this practice got backed up by ggg support confirming that they banned "scammers" in the past and still do as well as that they tag accounts for investigation which got reported.

all this thread wants to achieve is to force ggg to make a definite say what is allowed in this game and what falls under "scamming" and is punishable in their eyes.

to make that clear: i'm not with hideouts and we still have contrary positions regarding what is (shall be) allowed in this game, but i also want ggg to elaborate on this matter.

---

i made a related question in the dev q&a but it's on page 20 and not answered yet.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jul 6, 2016, 4:50:29 AM
"
hideouts wrote:

baaad example, we all know how that ended, hehe
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"

actually: ggg did give in to shitstorms in the past which legitimately encourages people to try (again).

it's a two edged sword to claim to "listen to the player base", you need to make your stance very clear all the time and ggg didn't do it in the post you referenced.

all chris said is, they can't handle ALL complaints about scamming which means they do handle some of them. this practice got backed up by ggg support confirming that they banned "scammers" in the past and still do as well as that they tag accounts for investigation which got reported.

all this thread wants to achieve is to force ggg to make a definite say what is allowed in this game and what falls under "scamming" and is punishable in their eyes.

to make that clear: i'm not with hideouts and we still have contrary positions regarding what is (shall be) allowed in this game, but i also want ggg to elaborate on this matter.

---

i made a related question in the dev q&a but it's on page 20 and not answered yet.

I realize what the thread is trying to accomplish, but 6 pages is hardly a shit storm.

How many of those 30 or 50 page ones in feedback have had anything done about them. Voltaxic nerfs, both minion ones etc etc.

The last line from Chris is probably the most telling of all.

And yes, bad example.

But whatever. I really don't care either way. If we can't do it here, there are other places we can.

Edit: And there is a lot of information for the taking out of this thread. All it takes is a bit of vision and creativity and a minimal amount of effort to make a bigger fuss than simply bumping a thread.

Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jul 6, 2016, 12:00:49 PM
"
vio wrote:
"
hideouts wrote:

baaad example, we all know how that ended, hehe

hahahahaha :D well, true...but i just liked the pic i guess!

also, sure. i would like that chris actually posts here! then i could calmly decide whether to ever start this game again because i dont really like being treated like shit.

so yeah, i just want a reply. and i mean reply from someone high ranked amond mods, not a pleb "hello, pls dont name and shame" ggg bot
Chris recently answered a question about our "no name & shame" policy in his Developer Q&A Answers thread.

"
Chris wrote:
In terms of bad behaviour, accusing someone of being a scammer is even easier than actually pulling off a scam. We cannot investigate each reported case in detail to see if accusations are accurate. Initially, this wasn't our policy. We allowed naming and shaming, but the overwhelming feedback was that the false defamation was far worse.

I recommend reporting scammers to us directly at support@grindinggear.com. These reports are extremely helpful to us in that it helps us to build a profile around players, and helps us towards making decisions about how to deal with these people in future. I understand why it might appear futile to report scammers to us, but it is in fact quite important and the more reports we get on a player means that we will have a more detailed case when investigating players, the more flexibility we would have when choosing to remove offending accounts.
Last edited by Sam on Jul 6, 2016, 9:36:41 PM
"
Samantha wrote:
Chris recently answered a question about our "no name & shame" policy in his Developer Q&A Answers thread.

"
Chris wrote:
In terms of bad behaviour, accusing someone of being a scammer is even easier than actually pulling off a scam. We cannot investigate each reported case in detail to see if accusations are accurate. Initially, this wasn't our policy. We allowed naming and shaming, but the overwhelming feedback was that the false defamation was far worse.

I recommend reporting scammers to us directly at support@grindinggear.com. These reports are extremely helpful to us in that it helps us to build a profile around players, and helps us towards making decisions about how to deal with these people in future. I understand why it might appear futile to report scammers to us, but it is in fact quite important and the more reports we get on a player means that we will have a more detailed case when investigating players, the more flexibility we would have when choosing to remove offending accounts.

waaait, he actually did answer? i didnt read that topic! :(

although...i dont really understand what he meant! so basically im allowed to name and shame a scammer but should report anyway? cause i can do that! i will gladly report to ggg whenever someone scams a rota if it helps you profile them, along with a report in 5-10 words of what happened! there are 2 problems though:

1) profiling probably takes time and rota scammers are active mostly on league starts, so some people might suffer if there is no naming at shaming, but just reporting. ofc this wont be a problem if what you guys have in mind works, so people will be okay with this very likely!

2) the bigger problem with reporting system is what vio talked about though. you see, rarely it happens that the whole party reports someone innocent. for example, i have a friend who lives in venezuela and due to state of their country (near collapse), internet just goes away randomly. sooo he gets reported a lot in 820. i mean not a lot, but a lot compared to for example me, who have a relatively stable internet. so he gets on people's ignorelists on a daily basis and its not really a problem, because when he joins a rota with someone who has him ignored, the guy is just asked to temporarily unignore, as with 820 policy. but...if people like that are actually reported as scammers directly to ggg, that might really harm innocent people :( sooo i dont know how to think of that :(

oh well! i guess there is really no need to bump this topic anymore. i must say sorry to dunedain, i thought you were joking about chris actually talking about this :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info