Mechanical Questions Thread

"
I mean since I am adding elemental damage based on my physical damage it takes the resulting damage after reduction of armor and converts this number to fire. I played a build converting all damage to fire before and wanted to take advantage of Nebuloch's "added physical to fire" this time. So if I convert 100% to fire, this bonus is lost along with all the other +% increased melee physical talents.

But of course you're right with "reflected physical" maps. This is mainly the reason why I consider going slayer, which has an ascendancy to not be affected of this. But I like easy playstyles (shame on me) and getting endurance charges on stun immune enemies is still a hell often because of "unwavering" enemies... Plus I do not know how good my stunning will be with 2 Nebulochs.

Talking about Magmatic Strikes: Using Ground Slam with Nebulochs won't help here, right? Ground slam does no fire damage itself but gets it from Nebuloch wich means "increased fire damage with attack skills" does nothing, right?
"I mean since I am adding elemental damage based on my physical damage it takes the resulting damage after reduction of armor and converts this number to fire." That's not the correct order. Modifiers to damage dealt (including physical gained as fire) are applied, and after that is done, only then do modifiers to damage taken apply. The monster doesn't know whether the fire damage it takes was always fire or was converted from physical. In either case, it will apply its fire resistance, but not its physical damage reduction.

"I played a build converting all damage to fire before and wanted to take advantage of Nebuloch's "added physical to fire" this time. So if I convert 100% to fire, this bonus is lost along with all the other +% increased melee physical talents." Converting damage does not make it unavailable for "damage gained as". You can convert 100% of physical damage (but no more) to fire, but that physical damage is still available to be gained as fire or other types. And converted damage is modified according to its original type as well as the final type, so "increased melee physical damage" also applies to melee fire damage that was converted from physical.

Magmatic Strikes would work just fine with your build. It doesn't care whether an attack skill "natively" deals elemental damage, only whether it ends up dealing that damage. Elemental Damage with Attacks Support works the same way and is a valid option.

If you haven't already created your character, you might want to consider going Scion and taking the Elementalist and Slayer notables. This would make you immune to all reflected damage, and with a source of life and mana leech you can run all map mods. The Warlord's Mark curse provides both and also endurance charges on kill, which would help with the Unwavering maps you're having trouble with. Elementalist also provides extra effect for Herald of Ash, damage penetration, and powerful Shocks if you can get even a tiny amount of flat added lightning damage on your gear. If you can get full fire conversion, Chieftain or Champion could be good alternatives to Slayer.
"
ekaye wrote:
"
I mean since I am adding elemental damage based on my physical damage it takes the resulting damage after reduction of armor and converts this number to fire. I played a build converting all damage to fire before and wanted to take advantage of Nebuloch's "added physical to fire" this time. So if I convert 100% to fire, this bonus is lost along with all the other +% increased melee physical talents.

But of course you're right with "reflected physical" maps. This is mainly the reason why I consider going slayer, which has an ascendancy to not be affected of this. But I like easy playstyles (shame on me) and getting endurance charges on stun immune enemies is still a hell often because of "unwavering" enemies... Plus I do not know how good my stunning will be with 2 Nebulochs.

Talking about Magmatic Strikes: Using Ground Slam with Nebulochs won't help here, right? Ground slam does no fire damage itself but gets it from Nebuloch wich means "increased fire damage with attack skills" does nothing, right?
"I mean since I am adding elemental damage based on my physical damage it takes the resulting damage after reduction of armor and converts this number to fire." That's not the correct order. Modifiers to damage dealt (including physical gained as fire) are applied, and after that is done, only then do modifiers to damage taken apply. The monster doesn't know whether the fire damage it takes was always fire or was converted from physical. In either case, it will apply its fire resistance, but not its physical damage reduction.

"I played a build converting all damage to fire before and wanted to take advantage of Nebuloch's "added physical to fire" this time. So if I convert 100% to fire, this bonus is lost along with all the other +% increased melee physical talents." Converting damage does not make it unavailable for "damage gained as". You can convert 100% of physical damage (but no more) to fire, but that physical damage is still available to be gained as fire or other types. And converted damage is modified according to its original type as well as the final type, so "increased melee physical damage" also applies to melee fire damage that was converted from physical.

Magmatic Strikes would work just fine with your build. It doesn't care whether an attack skill "natively" deals elemental damage, only whether it ends up dealing that damage. Elemental Damage with Attacks Support works the same way and is a valid option.

If you haven't already created your character, you might want to consider going Scion and taking the Elementalist and Slayer notables. This would make you immune to all reflected damage, and with a source of life and mana leech you can run all map mods. The Warlord's Mark curse provides both and also endurance charges on kill, which would help with the Unwavering maps you're having trouble with. Elementalist also provides extra effect for Herald of Ash, damage penetration, and powerful Shocks if you can get even a tiny amount of flat added lightning damage on your gear. If you can get full fire conversion, Chieftain or Champion could be good alternatives to Slayer.

Wow thanks. Sorry for me being so annoying :D

I played molten strike and +%melee physical changed close to nothing in my DPS back then when I played it. That's why I thought it works this way.

The other things are really worth considering. I am left with 5 days now to consider what I want to play. Scion looks really promising to be honest.
"
I played molten strike and +%melee physical changed close to nothing in my DPS back then when I played it. That's why I thought it works this way.
That's because most of Molten Strike's damage comes from its projectiles, which do Projectile damage, not Melee damage. The same applies to Frost Blades' projectiles, and any other melee skill that produces projectiles if there are any. Ground Slam doesn't have projectiles, it just does Melee damage, so it scales 100% with Melee damage modifiers.
"
ekaye wrote:
"
That's because most of Molten Strike's damage comes from its projectiles, which do Projectile damage, not Melee damage. The same applies to Frost Blades' projectiles, and any other melee skill that produces projectiles if there are any. Ground Slam doesn't have projectiles, it just does Melee damage, so it scales 100% with Melee damage modifiers.

Ohhh OK that makes sense :D Thanks for your effort! So many mechanics to try out in this game. Since all those years PoE catches me again... like every year :D. Looking forward to next season!
Last edited by rolfdafiftynine on Dec 8, 2019, 5:00:35 PM
Does the Dodge chance from Elusive :
"Elusive grants the following:
20% chance to Dodge Attack Hits
20% chance to Dodge Spell Hits
40% increased Movement Speed"

stack with Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics ?
"30% Chance to Dodge Attack Hits.
30% Chance to Dodge Spell Hits"

or are they seperat rolls ?

"
Does the Dodge chance from Elusive :
"Elusive grants the following:
20% chance to Dodge Attack Hits
20% chance to Dodge Spell Hits
40% increased Movement Speed"

stack with Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics ?
"30% Chance to Dodge Attack Hits.
30% Chance to Dodge Spell Hits"

or are they seperat rolls ?

They're the same roll, and they stack. Assuming you have a fresh Elusive buff, you'll have a single 50% chance to dodge.
Is the Withered from Spreading Rot affected by Skill Duration? There's no clear answer to it anywhere that I can find. I assume yes because "Blight inflicts Withered for 2 seconds" sounds like it adds the effect to the Blight skill which would then be modified. How does that interact with multiple jewels? Would the base go to 4 seconds with 2 jewels and then be modified by Skill Duration effects?

What's also unclear is if Spreading Rot also effects Vaal Blight. Does anyone know if Vaal Blight apply Withered stacks with the jewel? And how many stacks does Vaal Blight actually apply? The wording of the skill sounds like only 3 Vaal Blight effects are applied, but then has the "up to 20 layers of damage" line. Does it apply 20 layers? Do these layers take up the same "space" as normal Blight stacks?
"
Riot_Starter wrote:
Is the Withered from Spreading Rot affected by Skill Duration? There's no clear answer to it anywhere that I can find. I assume yes because "Blight inflicts Withered for 2 seconds" sounds like it adds the effect to the Blight skill which would then be modified. How does that interact with multiple jewels? Would the base go to 4 seconds with 2 jewels and then be modified by Skill Duration effects?

What's also unclear is if Spreading Rot also effects Vaal Blight. Does anyone know if Vaal Blight apply Withered stacks with the jewel? And how many stacks does Vaal Blight actually apply? The wording of the skill sounds like only 3 Vaal Blight effects are applied, but then has the "up to 20 layers of damage" line. Does it apply 20 layers? Do these layers take up the same "space" as normal Blight stacks?
I can't authoritatively answer the first paragraph, although I agree with your logic that Spreading Rot adds an effect to the skill, and so the duration will be scaled with skill effect duration modifiers. I have no idea how multiple jewels would stack, whether it would inflict Withered twice, once for twice as long, or if the modifier doesn't stack at all.

As for the second paragraph, anything that interacts with a particular skill also interacts with the Vaal version of the skill, so yes, Vaal Blight will inflict Withered if you have Spreading Rot socketed. Vaal Blight applies a total of three stacks to enemies close enough to be "hit" by all three waves. Blight as a whole can apply a maximum of 20 stacks, which is a shared limit between normal and Vaal Blight.
Regarding the following from 3.9.0 patch notes:

"
Commander of Darkness now grants the increased Attack and Cast Speed aura as a single combined aura rather than a separate aura for each other aura skill you had.

Unwavering Faith now grants the Physical Damage Reduction and Life Regeneration aura as a single combined aura rather than a separate aura for each other aura skill you had.

Previously, a Guardian or Ascendant-Guardian using 10 auras would provide +10% physical damage reduction with 0%-99% increased aura effect (1% per aura), +20% reduction with 100%-199% increased aura effect, and so on. Since Unwavering Faith is now combined, does it provide +11% reduction with 10%-19% increased aura effect, +12% with 20%-29% increased aura effect, and so on?

Same question for the effects of Commander of Darkness from Necromancer and Ascendant.
With the release of 3.9 patch notes, I've came across some changes that I don't quite understand clearly; and was wondering if I could get some clarification?

Question 1:
"Hyrri's Ire now has 100-145 minimum added cold damage to bow attacks (from 173-188) and 160-200 maximum added cold damage to bow attacks (from 240-262)", base on this change would this affect existing Hyrri's Ire as well? or would existing ones turn legacy?

Question 2:
"Added a new modifier which grants an additional arrow which can roll on Bows as a suffix.", would this apply on any kind of bow base? or would it only be available for the new Conquerors of the Atlas influences items?

Question 3:
"The Supported by Maim modifier from Serrated Fossils can no longer roll on Body Armours." and "The added Maximum Life and increased Life modifier from Pristine Fossils can no longer roll.", can I assume those roles will be on the new exalted orbs or would they be removed? and would this affect existing roles on items if the roles were to be on the new exalted orbs?

P.S. - I would say I'm 25%/100% standard player, so want to craft those fossil items before patch hits.

Thank you for your time and trouble for clarifying these questions!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info