Mechanical Questions Thread

"
FabledGumbo wrote:

I guess I should also ask if I'm leeching from physical damage, is the leech amount determined by the physical damage before or after the conversion to lightning damage?

After, leech is based an actual damage dealt (this also means that enemy physical damage reduction such as from map mod or Immortal Call will reduce your physical leech)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
suszterpatt wrote:
remember, conversion applies to the base damage before modifiers

Oh that's good to know. I wasn't sure when the elemental wand nodes kicked in so I was running Physical Projectile Attack Damage Support, but if conversion happens before the phys damage gets buffed then there are better choices, like pierce + slower projectiles for "% more projectile damage", which as I understand it would apply as a multiplier ("more") to both the total physical damage after increase/decrease modifiers as well as the +50% ele damage from phys and their modifications.

If that's the case then what are the best support gems to link with say power siphon, or vaal power siphon? I'm using WED right now but since it doesn't work the way I think it does than 51% more elemental damage means that it's only an increase on the base phys damage of 25%, and another support gem could give more of an increase like pierce.
"
Jazriel wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:

Oh that's good to know. I wasn't sure when the elemental wand nodes kicked in so I was running Physical Projectile Attack Damage Support, but if conversion happens before the phys damage gets buffed then there are better choices, like pierce + slower projectiles for "% more projectile damage", which as I understand it would apply as a multiplier ("more") to both the total physical damage after increase/decrease modifiers as well as the +50% ele damage from phys and their modifications.

Er... I'm not sure if we've communicated the right idea to you. Even though conversion occurs before modifiers 8n calculations, it's more important to recognize that modifiers apply to any damage type that a damage data piece ever was , which I like to think of as "conversion remembers." This means that if your wand's damage range plus jewelry damage ranges is all physical, then Physical Projectile Attack Damage would apply to 100% of your damage, even if it were 100% converted to lightning. Another way I like to phrase it is "if it was ever an element, apply bonuses for that element."

To that end, I would recommend sticking with PPAD, with the caveat that I don't remember your build exactly.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Feb 25, 2017, 12:24:37 AM
"
adghar wrote:
"
Jazriel wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:

Er... I'm not sure if we've communicated the right idea to you. Even though conversion occurs before modifiers 8n calculations, it's more important to recognize that modifiers apply to any damage type that a damage data piece ever was , which I like to think of as "conversion remembers." This means that if your wand's damage range plus jewelry damage ranges is all physical, then Physical Projectile Attack Damage would apply to 100% of your damage, even if it were 100% converted to lightning. Another way I like to phrase it is "if it was ever an element, apply bonuses for that element."

To that end, I would recommend sticking with PPAD, with the caveat that I don't remember your build exactly.

Oh, thanks for the clarification then.

When you said that conversion (including +X% of physical as elemental) happens first then that makes it sound like (physical damage) + (elemental conversion) = initial damage, and then initial damage is what has modifiers applied to it. So +X% physical damage would apply to initial damage and would not increase the elemental conversion bit.

I swear I remember reading the damage equation on the wiki but for some reason I just can't find it.
question regarding the sword "Razor of the Seventh Sun"

if you already have an application of ignite on a target with a high roll hit and subsequent low roll ignites does not overwrite the old one. Will those low roll ignites still trigger the 1% life recovery? or only will refreshed ignites and new applications trigger the 1% life recovery? Of course this does not include having Emberwake equipped.

Last edited by sagacite on Feb 25, 2017, 1:55:29 AM
"
Jazriel wrote:
When you said that conversion (including +X% of physical as elemental) happens first then that makes it sound like (physical damage) + (elemental conversion) = initial damage, and then initial damage is what has modifiers applied to it. So +X% physical damage would apply to initial damage and would not increase the elemental conversion bit.

'Physical added as' works on your physical base and as such carries the 'physical' property too. As they said, damage keeps the property it was converted from or based on (and not just damage, it goes whenever the game converts something).

Anyway, if you had
20% physical converted to cold
40% physical added as fire
and 50% cold converted to fire

Your base damage structure would be (in percentages of your initial physical base)
90% physical
10% physical/cold
40% physical/fire
10% physical/cold/fire

And then you just apply the damage bonus wherever its type is mentioned, that should be clear enough.

"
sagacite wrote:
question regarding the sword "Razor of the Seventh Sun"

if you already have an application of ignite on a target with a high roll hit and subsequent low roll ignites does not overwrite the old one. Will those low roll ignites still trigger the 1% life recovery? or only will refreshed ignites and new applications trigger the 1% life recovery? Of course this does not include having Emberwake equipped.

You will get 1% life for every applied ignite, even if the ignite was lower and isn't active, it's still on the target so it's able to go into action as soon as the higher ignite expires. Doesn't matter if you have Emberwake or not.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
- Player A has 1 curese + blasphemy
- Player B has 5 curses with curse on hit (e.g. firstorm)

Both players are in one party. Which curse gets overwritten? Is it the last socket of the 6-link gear?
Regarding maximum projectile range -- with chaining skills, is the distance calculated from the point where the chain initiated, or from the initial activation? (e.g. can magma orb with +projectile speed and +# of chains travel more than 150 units?)
If I have a totem linked with lvl 4 Vortex and inc duration and have +90% skill duration on tree then the tooltip says: 7.8 seconds skill duration
This is pretty consistent with how long it appears to last on screen if the totem is kept alive.
However: If I recast the totem then the Vortex disappears much earlier. It certainly does not last 7.8 seconds.

Not exactly sure how/when but I have also seen similar effects with totem/trap/mine: If entity limit is exceeded and the old entity disappears then the associated skill also disappears or something like that.

Question 1: Is the gfx consistent with what happens on server?

Question 2: What are the rules governing this? Removing/replacing the totem in the test case doesnt immediately kill the skill effect. But it doesnt last for the full duration either. I have no idea what the exact mechanics are nor do I remember reading it anywhere.

This kinda thing may well be critical for some builds like Firestorm Miner.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Wp_blitzi wrote:
- Player A has 1 curese + blasphemy
- Player B has 5 curses with curse on hit (e.g. firstorm)

Both players are in one party. Which curse gets overwritten? Is it the last socket of the 6-link gear?

Blasphemy curses reserve the curse slot, so I assume it's the first one that will fall off.

"
DisoRDeR418 wrote:
Regarding maximum projectile range -- with chaining skills, is the distance calculated from the point where the chain initiated, or from the initial activation? (e.g. can magma orb with +projectile speed and +# of chains travel more than 150 units?)

If at any point a projectile is more than 150 units away from the place it was fired from, it will get destroyed. As long as it doesn't do that or have an expiration timer it may bounce around as much as it wants.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info