Mechanical Questions Thread

Last edited by zarth1 on Jan 20, 2017, 10:05:47 AM
Can someone clarify the way Dodge works? What's different between it and evasion? If i get unwavering stance can I benefit from boosts to dodge? Should be a simple question
"
Brinstar4 wrote:
What's different between it and evasion?

Evasion uses an "entropy" system as the developers call it, which means it is periodic avoidance. So, if your true chance to evade against an enemy is 25%, then you are guaranteed to receive miss, hit, hit, hit, miss, hit, hit, hit, miss, hit, hit, hit, etc. in sustained combat against that enemy. Dodge, on the other hand, is fully pseudorandom, so with 25% dodge you could dodge twice in a row, or no dodges 5 times in a row.

Also, Dodge chance is same regardless of enemy stats. Evasion depends on enemy's Accuracy Rating, which can change with certain modifiers.

Also, there are sources of both Attack (default) Dodge, and Spell Dodge. There is no way for Evasion to affect Spell Damage.

"
If i get unwavering stance can I benefit from boosts to dodge?

Yes.

They're different stats, and Unwavering Stance only affects one of them.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
thank you so much
I checked the Wiki first to see if the information was available there, but I didn't see it. I'm curious on if there is a way to remove enchants from an item and it keep the item as is minus the enchant?
Dyadian Dawn: "Enemies Ignited by an Attack Burn 20% faster". Does only that specific ignite burn faster? That is, do I read this as "ignites *caused* by attacks burn 20% faster", or as "an enemy that currently has at least one stack of ignite that was caused by an attacks receives a debuff that causes any burn on him to burn 20% faster"?

It's probably the former,but the wording has some room for wiggling and a confirmation would be nice.
say a monster has 50 fire resist

you have fire penetration that does 35 fire penetration and also you have flammability curse which does -40 enemy fire res and elemental weakness which also does -40 enemy resist

ok so question is how resist works is the monster with 50 fire resist will get -80 res due to curses pushing it to -30 fire res

1. does the 35 fire penetration further lower it? making the monster's effective fire resist -65 fire res?

2. does it remain -30 fire res only from curses because the penetration cannot go further lowering it into a negative state after curses?

3. does the -30 res from curses affect the dmg taken and penetration is a seperate calculation going off native res instead so monsters are still -30 and the 35 pen only affects the output of dmg

gotten some mixed responses on this i always assumed the first one but even then i also see conflicting things from both players and GGG and most of what ive looked at has examples of +(75)200 res as examples or something that is easy see how exactly it works but not negative state of it

TLDR: elemental penetration. what does it do to a monster that you put at -30 res with curses already
Last edited by Pepock on Jan 22, 2017, 7:15:42 PM
Hi,

I have 2 questions :

1. Does the poison gained from items (i.e : Cospri's Will, or ascendancy i.e : Noxious Strike) benefits from the "increased duration from skills" in the tree ?

2. Does the poison gained from items (i.e : Cospri's Will, or ascendancy i.e : Noxious Strike) benefits from the "increased duration support" linked to a skill, let's say EK and LS ?

thanks,
bye.
Last edited by ltlejeune on Jan 21, 2017, 7:31:51 AM
"
Sylvaeths wrote:
I checked the Wiki first to see if the information was available there, but I didn't see it. I'm curious on if there is a way to remove enchants from an item and it keep the item as is minus the enchant?

Enchant is essentially an implicit mod, you can replace it with another enchant in the labyrinth and it can also sometimes be replaced with a corrupted implicit if you use a vaal orb on an item. Replacing an implicit won't change the other mods on an item unless the vaal orb messes it up.

"
xKomachi wrote:
Dyadian Dawn: "Enemies Ignited by an Attack Burn 20% faster". Does only that specific ignite burn faster? That is, do I read this as "ignites *caused* by attacks burn 20% faster", or as "an enemy that currently has at least one stack of ignite that was caused by an attacks receives a debuff that causes any burn on him to burn 20% faster"?

It's probably the former,but the wording has some room for wiggling and a confirmation would be nice.

It isn't a debuff that's tacked onto a status like Taryn's Shiver does, just that ignite will be augmented.

"
Pepock wrote:
say a monster has 50 fire resist

you have fire penetration that does 35 fire penetration and also you have flammability curse which does -40 enemy fire res and elemental weakness which also does -40 enemy resist

ok so question is how resist works is the monster with 50 fire resist will get -80 res due to curses pushing it to -30 fire res

1. does the 35 fire penetration further lower it? making the monster's effective fire resist -65 fire res?

2. does it remain -30 fire res only from curses because the penetration cannot go further lowering it into a negative state after curses?

gotten some mixed responses on this i always assumed the first one but even then i also see conflicting things from both players and GGG and most of what ive looked at has examples of +(75)200 res as examples or something that is easy see how exactly it works but not negative state of it

TLDR: elemental penetration. what does it do to a monster that you put at -30 res with curses already

Penetration treats the current target resist as a lower value, so, it will take the current resistance value from the target (-30%), lower it by 35% and then use that number in the damage calculation, so it will be -65%. It's a well known mechanic and I never saw any post by GGG that would indicate otherwise.

"
ltlejeune wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 questions :

1. Does the poison gained from items (i.e : Cospri's Will, or ascendancy i.e : Noxious Strike) benefits from the "increased duration from skills" in the tree ?

2. Does the poison gained from items (i.e : Cospri's Will, or ascendancy i.e : Noxious Strike) benefits from the "increased duration support" linked to a skill, let's say EK and LS ?

thanks,
bye.

1. Yes, poison is affected by skill duration bonuses, it doesn't matter where it came from.

2. However, if the skill doesn't have the 'duration' tag increased duration support won't link with it, so it won't have any effect, it's a small quirk of the gem system.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Hi Mark, simple question. Is there any way to inflict bleed on yourself?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info