The Darkness Mystery Box

"
Archwizard wrote:
The bolded part is literally untrue.

There are no tricks involved. There may have been an extremely tenuous case to be made on this front back when the boxes first came out with the St. Patrick's Day (or whatever it was) version, but this is now iteration at least 4. The post literally says it's random results. Do you expect to find a Shavronne's Wrappings or an Exalted Orb every hour you play? Then why should you expect X item(s) every Y boxes? This is cognitive dissonance at its best.

As to value, since you cannot get an mtx worth less than what you paid for the box, it is an impossibility that "the more you spend the worse off you are". The worst that can happen is that the value of the mtx in your stash will keep pace with the money spent on the boxes. The odds of that are virtually nil, 99.99999999% of players that buy these boxes will end up with mtx that are worth more than the money they paid. GGG even puts the armor on sale in pieces at the set discount price so that folks that only got a couple pieces in the boxes don't have to pay more than the discount set price to finish the set. That's a nice thing to do, they could have just said "gotta buy pieces at full value, you already got your existing pieces at a silly discount."

For every horror story of "omg $5,000 and no wings!!!" there is someone that got the wings (or whatever mtx) in their first 4 boxes. I know cus quite a few of those lucky bastards were bragging about it in guild chat recently.

The only person that has any right to complain about this system is someone with a gambling addiction. That is a real affliction that can ruin lives. People affected by it need to cope with it though, by say contacting GGG and seeking help by not being able to buy the boxes (or something). The rest of us that enjoy this shouldn't have to miss out because of a minority of people though. If you feel that way, then I hope you write Congressmen, Senators, Governors and other elected officials to shut down the Lottery.

First of all thank you for the lengthy reply, you make a valid point. I know that in the end it is entirely up to us to buy the boxes or not, nobody is forcing us to.

My point however is what you seem to have missed entirely. The boxes are locking newly released cosmetic items that clearly stated will be sold in the shop at a later date, right now in an RNG package with set chances for each item, making the most wanted item the most rare.

If you think this is not a trick, and this is an ethical practice, then I don't really know what to tell you. Perhaps you have gotten used to the amount of nonsense we are sold on daily basis through advertisements and media.

They sell this in boxes, because it works, people spend way too much money trying to get that one item they would otherwise have to wait months for, even though it's already completely done and could be sold normally in the store right now. Until someone at Grinding Gear explains to me that I'm wrong, and why it is actually done this way, I can only draw this conclusion.

To make it absolutely clear, I don't like any of this. Not the boxes, not complaining about it and not to think this way of Grinding Gear Games. I've become heavily invested in this game and it is likely to be a part of my life for many years to come, that's why I discuss against this.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
If there are weighted odds of getting any particular items over others, etc., GGG should be listing exactly what those are for each contained item. Just like in any other gambling establishment.

If it's truly unweighted rng, then it's not such a big deal.
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Archwizard wrote:
The bolded part is literally untrue.

There are no tricks involved. There may have been an extremely tenuous case to be made on this front back when the boxes first came out with the St. Patrick's Day (or whatever it was) version, but this is now iteration at least 4. The post literally says it's random results. Do you expect to find a Shavronne's Wrappings or an Exalted Orb every hour you play? Then why should you expect X item(s) every Y boxes? This is cognitive dissonance at its best.

As to value, since you cannot get an mtx worth less than what you paid for the box, it is an impossibility that "the more you spend the worse off you are". The worst that can happen is that the value of the mtx in your stash will keep pace with the money spent on the boxes. The odds of that are virtually nil, 99.99999999% of players that buy these boxes will end up with mtx that are worth more than the money they paid. GGG even puts the armor on sale in pieces at the set discount price so that folks that only got a couple pieces in the boxes don't have to pay more than the discount set price to finish the set. That's a nice thing to do, they could have just said "gotta buy pieces at full value, you already got your existing pieces at a silly discount."

For every horror story of "omg $5,000 and no wings!!!" there is someone that got the wings (or whatever mtx) in their first 4 boxes. I know cus quite a few of those lucky bastards were bragging about it in guild chat recently.

The only person that has any right to complain about this system is someone with a gambling addiction. That is a real affliction that can ruin lives. People affected by it need to cope with it though, by say contacting GGG and seeking help by not being able to buy the boxes (or something). The rest of us that enjoy this shouldn't have to miss out because of a minority of people though. If you feel that way, then I hope you write Congressmen, Senators, Governors and other elected officials to shut down the Lottery.

First of all thank you for the lengthy reply, you make a valid point. I know that in the end it is entirely up to us to buy the boxes or not, nobody is forcing us to.

My point however is what you seem to have missed entirely. The boxes are locking newly released cosmetic items that clearly stated will be sold in the shop at a later date, right now in an RNG package with set chances for each item, making the most wanted item the most rare.

If you think this is not a trick, and this is an ethical practice, then I don't really know what to tell you. Perhaps you have gotten used to the amount of nonsense we are sold on daily basis through advertisements and media.

They sell this in boxes, because it works, people spend way too much money trying to get that one item they would otherwise have to wait months for, even though it's already completely done and could be sold normally in the store right now. Until someone at Grinding Gear explains to me that I'm wrong, and why it is actually done this way, I can only draw this conclusion.

To make it absolutely clear, I don't like any of this. Not the boxes, not complaining about it and not to think this way of Grinding Gear Games. I've become heavily invested in this game and it is likely to be a part of my life for many years to come, that's why I discuss against this.

Actually, I didn't miss your point, I addressed it in another post (which was a reply to someone else):

"
Archwizard wrote:
"
Iflon wrote:
"
Archwizard wrote:
Do you understand that every single item in those boxes except two will be available in the store later this year?

So no one has to pay anything to unlock wings or any of the other in-demand items. Look at the underlined line in his post compared to the bolded line in your post. You literally prove his point.

And holding off items for 3-4 months is a good way to threat the supporters that pays for the game?

I mean usualy games develop content for the players to play or use to feel happy about it, but Path of Exile use it to earn money and make players feel ashamed of there actions nor wait long time to the point where you might just see another box with better content you then want more then the previous on.

Fun fact they release box before the previous content rotates from box to shop.

The 3-4 month wait is there to "Force" "Trick" "Manipulate" players to buy it now. Like lets say you could watch a movie 4 months later with a 50% discount, would you actual wait for that when everone else you know is going to watch an talk about it?

Its same in poe would you wait 3-4 months to wear what others have? only problem is you may not be that lucky guy that gets what you want it a few box,

I mean try to be just a little realistic about this rather then be defensive about it GGG know very well where they are going with this. and we saw last time that they claim to have improved it yet we still see players getting like 15-25% fire works on large sample's wtf?

Wait wait wait, you're blaming your need to have everything at the moment it comes out on others?

And yes, I do wait for things to be discounted, because a) I have self-control and b) my feeling of self-worth isn't tied up in what others have.

I'll buy a couple boxes for the giggles, really because I want a couple of the box exclusive items which are pretty common (like those fireworks). If I happen to get something like those wings then woo I win. Oh and Badge of Skulls shield mtxes would be badass to get too, I love that one.

The realism involved is that 1) Stuff will be in the store eventually, 2) I control my own actions, 3) it's gambling, so approach it as that.

Anyone that approaches it differently is setting themselves up for disappointment.

And yes, given my stance of "I do not need instant gratification" and "I control my actions" I find nothing wrong with this practice of GGG's. And as I stated in my reply to you, the only people I have any sympathy for at all in being against it are those that fail those tests via actual, life-disrupting addictions.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
ya theres a difference between tricking and tempting, they are tempting you, not tricking. Tempting you to buy cosmetic effects for your doll in a free to play game. If people arnt grown up enough to deal with that kind of temptation then they are not responsible enough to own money, every adult with a visa card should be able to control their desire to have smoke wings on their witch in poe.

This is a free to play game without pay to win that is funding itself purely off the back of tempting us to dress up our little toys purely for looks, I dont think its realistic to think that they shouldnt play up that temptation. Imo they have a responsibility to their players and their staff to make sure people are buying those effects, it would be irresponsible for them not to.

They day this game shuts down I lose all my characters, all my gear, everything Ive worked towards, we all do, and everyone at GGG loses their job. Thats the reality of the situation, we know what the boxes are about, they know we know, its a completely transparent situation revolving around buying fancy wings for your virtual model orc and its keeping this game that we love going, Im not going to hate on it.

Only thing I would criticize is that the repetition of the items from the boxes makes me spend less money on them in the long term. Most boxes I dont get any, this time I got some because I was in an impish mood and we were having fun with it, but Id be more of a box regular if they had a little more weighting against immediate duplicates.
So I invested 10 bucks and got 3 Gloom Helmets and 1 Rain Effect. Deeply disappointed.
The best thing about the mystery box sales is reading the comments.
No one forces you to buy anything.
You cant sue the lotterycompany just because you don't win the lottery.

GGG have never stated that all the prizes have an equal dropchance from the boxes.
Some of them are apparently set as "grand prizes" and therefore it seems they have a lower %.
Most cases it seems that higher cost in the shop = lower droprate.

In my opinion it is as it should be and ofcourse GGG needs to make some money.

I have not gotten what I want from the boxes but sometimes you loose and sometimes you win.
Last edited by Qraitz on Jun 10, 2016, 4:51:39 AM
"
Qraitz wrote:
No one forces you to buy anything.
You cant sue the lotterycompany just because you don't win the lottery.

GGG have never stated that all the prizes have an equal dropchance from the boxes.
Some of them are apparently set as "grand prizes" and therefore it seems they have a lower %.
Most cases it seems that higher cost in the shop = lower droprate.

In my opinion it is as it should be and ofcourse GGG needs to make some money.

I have not gotten what I want from the boxes but sometimes you loose and sometimes you win.

[Removed by Support]

2.5$ @box, and not state if there is diffrent tier's of drop rate. is that even legal at that point if they hold that info back?
Last edited by Rachel on Jun 10, 2016, 5:16:02 AM
My only thing about boxes is getting duplicate items (not the consumables). In fact if I could just hit a checkbox that says dont duplicate items and give me a consumable for the odd instead i'd be fine with it. If i could just trade some of my duplicates to complete my 3 out of 4 set pieces omg this would be so awesome or for that matter trade any of them for others...
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ya theres a difference between tricking and tempting, they are tempting you, not tricking. Tempting you to buy cosmetic effects for your doll in a free to play game. If people arnt grown up enough to deal with that kind of temptation then they are not responsible enough to own money, every adult with a visa card should be able to control their desire to have smoke wings on their witch in poe.

This is a free to play game without pay to win that is funding itself purely off the back of tempting us to dress up our little toys purely for looks, I dont think its realistic to think that they shouldnt play up that temptation. Imo they have a responsibility to their players and their staff to make sure people are buying those effects, it would be irresponsible for them not to.

They day this game shuts down I lose all my characters, all my gear, everything Ive worked towards, we all do, and everyone at GGG loses their job. Thats the reality of the situation, we know what the boxes are about, they know we know, its a completely transparent situation revolving around buying fancy wings for your virtual model orc and its keeping this game that we love going, Im not going to hate on it.

Only thing I would criticize is that the repetition of the items from the boxes makes me spend less money on them in the long term. Most boxes I dont get any, this time I got some because I was in an impish mood and we were having fun with it, but Id be more of a box regular if they had a little more weighting against immediate duplicates.

Alright, I concede my point of tricking you into spending more than you should or would otherwise spend, as you both make valid points.

I do however still think this is not an honest way to put out new content. I'm not saying it's evil, not at all, but it's not completely ethical either and preys on your self control very heavily. Hard to find any more fair F2P games than PoE is, thanks to GGG and their choices, which is why this kind of continued sale of these boxes surprises me, considering their otherwise spotless record on this subject.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info