Invisible threats + exp loss, the real cancer of this game

Here we have a player asking for greater ability to actively avoid dangers using strategy, threat-response behavior, and twitch skill.

And the responses are: get good, L2P, your build sucks, etc.

Isn't it sad that in the game balance state, as well as from many vocal forum regulars, there's a myopic promotion of builds that passively avoid dangers? If you can't mindlessly spam 1 button and win, your build sucks.

You're all basically saying that core build design needs to passively mitigate invisible threats, or it's a failed build. While this may be true (especially in coop where the entire fucking screen is filled with particle spam and you can't see shit), someone asking for GGG to improve active avoidance mechanics doesn't deserve to be ridiculed.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on May 26, 2016, 6:24:15 PM
Huge +1.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
Huge +1.

+2
"
mezmery wrote:
4k hp
hp
dies

DIS GAEM IZ BED

idk even at 4k hp i don't like the idea of getting oneshot by anything unless it's telegraphed like the map boss Dominus' punch or obvious like Piety's laser
"
Vhlad wrote:
You're all basically saying that core build design needs to passively mitigate invisible threats, or it's a failed build. While this may be true (especially in coop where the entire fucking screen is filled with particle spam and you can't see shit), someone asking for GGG to improve active avoidance mechanics doesn't deserve to be ridiculed.

So OP plays a skill that is meant to offscreen mobs giving them no chance, but is angry when the mobs do the same to him? Where is the justice for the mobs? I know... R-E-F-L-E-C-T, which in this case rekt OP which is the definition of justice.
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
I was wondering how long those unmatured pages of replies will continue. I was kind of baffled of such volume of it.

Glad to see some more serious comments kicking in.

On my note, vaal pact + life leech became too much mandatory. There are some other decisions like heavy armor juggernaut and phys attacker or on some niche circumstances max res pushed to 85%+ with elemental builds, but generally it's life leech + vaal pact. It's like requirement to do endgame, basically every non chaos spell caster builds have life leech gem which makes me thinking why there is 6 links in the first place, they might just drop it to 5...

With upcoming patch, with 50% reduced reflected damage it might bring more options, besides slapping in life leech gem.
Last edited by Andrius319 on May 26, 2016, 6:46:38 PM
Well if a single reflect rare kills you offscreen there is something wrong. This never happened to any of my builds and I rarely used Vaal Pact. The non-map mod reflect is so weak and only a single item that even regular leech without vaal pact is enough. Considering if it is offscreen that you should be hitting a lot of enemies on the screen as well leech should keep you alive. With Spelldodge and 75+% lightning resistance there is not much leech that is needed to counter it and it doesn't really kill all that quickly.

And porcupines... unless a rare explodes the damage isn't too problematic. It usually is more annoying, than dangerous, exspecially since the hardly hit offscreen, because they are offset from each other and the player is a very small target.
vaal pact may not be picked on lower end of dps scale, while leech rate still keeps up life loss from reflected damage.
But, in red maps damage usually goes above non-vaal pact leech capabilities, not because of tooltip fanciness, but because to not drag boss fights for too long, especially with some map mods. Also there are spiky damage builds, like not capped crit builds (some time low damage, some time it spikes in streak), block and dodge sometimes fails protecting at times which results in increased reflected damage taken, or if by accident reflect mob was cursed without notice (hidden reflect aura), and as a result you might die before you know it.
It is possible to make non-vaal pact build for spell casters, but leech in most cases is unavoidable.

Last edited by Andrius319 on May 26, 2016, 7:40:09 PM
So many obnoxious people in here lol. Makes me wonder why they even browse this section.

OP there's a unique ring you could get that reduces the reflected damage. Running blasphemy+temporal chains would help a lot against devourers and pretty much everything. Porcupines will always be nasty with some map mods though.
"
Vhlad wrote:

Isn't it sad that in the game balance state, as well as from many vocal forum regulars, there's a myopic promotion of builds that passively avoid dangers? If you can't mindlessly spam 1 button and win, your build sucks. .
On the contrary, it's the people who are unwilling to use anything but mindlessly spam 1 buton that are builds that suck. If you are getting hurt by reflect and keep holding down that 1 button, you need to play smarter. Slow down your attacks so you have time to recover life between hits, or use flasks, or use alternate skills, or use proxies like traps/totems, or even skip the monster. People often say they are one shot when that's just not the case. In this case I don't think one shot reflect is happening. He's got 80 resist, not insane damage, and decent life. He shouldn't be getting one shot. And he's got options if he does get more damage. Purity would give him another 4 max resist. Flasks would give him another 6. The tree he linked doesn't have any crit multiplier. But at 4100 life, he'd need to do 146k damage to one shot himself. Adding purity (84% res), he'd need to hit for 183k to one shot himself. After that he'd need to get more life or use flasks. With a flask up putting the resist up to 90%, he'd have to hit for just under 292k to get one shot.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on May 26, 2016, 8:06:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info