Upcoming Unique Items

"
Pewzor wrote:
The quiver... nice Voltaxic Spark Buff.

And people are worried about chaos meta nerf.

I wonder how many more comments like this we'll see from people who apparently don't understand how Voltaxic Spark works.
After the "Critical Strikes do not always freeze" being explained, I also think the wording is confusing. The wording (to me) suggested that Crits has like a 50% chance to Freeze instead of 100%.

In my opinion a better wording would be "Critical Strikes do not cause freeze".

If the wording is "not always" it seems to imply they sometimes do freeze (and yes, they do if they align with your chance to freeze, but is not related to it being critical or not).
If the wording was something like "Critical Strikes do not freeze" then it would seem to imply you can't freeze at all (not even with chance to freeze) on your crits, which is not the case neither.

I think "Critical Strikes do not CAUSE freeze" is the most self-explanatory wording, letting you know that they don't cause freezes but without implying that you can't freeze on them (with the chance to freeze implicit in the claw, for example).

And for the future, if you want something that happens like 50% of the time, I would suggest using THEN the wording "not always".
Last edited by Kaemonarch on May 9, 2016, 2:11:11 AM
While fronting a sentence with an introductory clause as I am doing now is not strictly unattractive or poor writing style, the fact that it was one over and over and over and over in these descriptions just put my teeth on edge.
- trash bow

- voltaxic meta no nerf confirmed

- wow item for endgame for summoners, better still shit on them on early game

- clwa thus crap
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on May 9, 2016, 2:13:07 AM
"
iAreNubcake wrote:
"
rdx1312 wrote:
"Critical Strikes do not always freeze" means "Critical Strikes sometimes freeze" but from explanation from GGG this seems misleading.

I suggested they use the phrasing "Critical Strikes Do Not Inherently Freeze", which is closer to being definitive, but then some people may not know what inherently means, so... yeah :\

If a person doesn't know what 'inherently' means I don't think they deserve to be freezing things...

But srsly, it is actually really tricky to say 'your critical strikes don't always freeze because the crit part doesn't freeze BUT any attack can still freeze because crit doesn't disable freezing so the regular part of the attack with % to freeze modifiers can still freeze even if the hit happens to crit' in 7 words or less.

I honestly think GGG needs to break the no-verbosity policy on this one, or break up the explanation of that interaction into 2-3 lines. 'Crits don't always freeze' is both hyper-accurate and misleading at the same time.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
f4sak3n wrote:
While fronting a sentence with an introductory clause as I am doing now is not strictly unattractive or poor writing style, the fact that it was one over and over and over and over in these descriptions just put my teeth on edge.

I actually talk like this IRL sometimes and it drives certain people insane. I don't try to drive people nuts it just comes out that way after certain processes. It also doesn't help that there's usually a long pause in-between.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
Kaemonarch wrote:
I think "Critical Strikes do not CAUSE freeze" is the most self-explanatory wording, letting you know that they don't cause freezes but without implying that you can't freeze on them
That description really does imply that, though.

In fact, not only does it imply that, it technically flat-out states it. If you critically strike something with the item, and roll a freeze on freeze chance, or have always freeze, etc, then you dealt a critical strike, and that strike, which was a critical strike, caused a freeze on the enemy. Which is what your description says won't happen.

Given that the accurate "Critical Strikes don't cause freeze if they wouldn't have caused freeze if they weren't critical" is both horribly long and horribly horrible, and any description of the form "critical srtikes don't [cause/trigger/force] freeze" will imply that critical strikes cannot freeze to a significant number of people, we went with the least-bad option we had.

It may help understanding to consider that your character has "Critical Strikes always Freeze" - this mod is taking that property away.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on May 9, 2016, 2:25:42 AM
trash... lots of trash... on top of trash...

lets create more trash instead of actually spending our time creating a new exile or really great maps... because act 4 was a bust and i know the ascendancy bit was a really big let down for all the hype it got...

players finish it extremely fast and burn through it without even the slightest bit of enthusiasm. then log off or just map... and map... and map... and do races... new items are not going to cure the bad taste of stale bread in their mouth...

the need for fresh and new is here... been here, we love the game, and i love being a casual easy going player because.. i don't want to rush, because if i do, and i can... there just isn't anything left... except to map... and map... and map... oooo, look a race... wait, let me map some more build a lil currency... yep... still mapping.... got the picture yet ?
Last edited by acidfrost2013 on May 9, 2016, 2:48:21 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Kaemonarch wrote:
I think "Critical Strikes do not CAUSE freeze" is the most self-explanatory wording, letting you know that they don't cause freezes but without implying that you can't freeze on them
That description really does imply that, though.

In fact, not only does it imply that, it technically flat-out states it. If you critically strike something with the item, and roll a freeze on freeze chance, or have always freeze, etc, then you dealt a critical strike, and that strike, which was a critical strike, caused a freeze on the enemy. Which is what your description says won't happen.

Given that the accurate "Critical Strikes don't cause freeze if they wouldn't have caused freeze if they weren't critical" is both horribly long and horribly horrible, and any description of the form "critical strikes don't [cause/trigger/force] freeze" will imply that critical strikes cannot freeze to a significant number of people, we went with the least-bad option we had.

It may help understanding to consider that your character has "Critical Strikes always Freeze" - this mod is taking that property away.

Well, it wasn't the Critical Strike that CAUSED the freeze, it was your Always-Freeze mod or your chance to Freeze happening, that occurred on a Critical Strike. Is different to say that Critical Strikes CANT Freeze than DO NOT CAUSE Freezes.
But yeah, I can see how it can still be confusing in a different way.

If not, the "Critical Strikes do not inherently Freeze" that iAreNubcake suggested is still a way better wording than the original in my opinion.
I (and everyone reading this tread) know what the wording on the claw means now, but for anyone not here its confusing and not that self explanatory and it seems to imply that crits can still freeze without any chance to freeze in the mix (even if the claw includes a 10% one).

I would strongly suggest to use the "not always" in the future to imply something has a 50% chance if you ever do a unique with that kind of function. Like an unique with "Critical Strikes do not always cause extra damage" on a weapon that has a high multiplier but only does critical damage half of the time it crits.
See how the "not always" in this example makes you feel about the weapon? Thats how people that don't know what the claw does feel about it. That critical strikes can still be the cause of freeze sometimes, even without chance.
Last edited by Kaemonarch on May 9, 2016, 2:40:09 AM
Nice work GGG! lol
wow! Fucking cool trash lol -1

we laugh of you GGG really lol
Last edited by Veemoth on May 9, 2016, 3:19:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info