if you dont build around reflect... u will die

"
logosys wrote:
To get one shot-ed by elemental reflect with 5800 Life, you need only 116000 hit...
As example I'll use my Slayer Fire-converted Ice Crash with 72% penetration and only Headsman (20% more damage on kill mod) and nothing else.

So, to start with we're taking a relatively reflect-proof skill (where half the damage is phys and half is ele) but modifying it to make it less safe so we can do more damage with it. Do you see where I'm going with this?
"
So, 116000 without penetration is 116000 / 1.72 = 67442 (rounded)
Raw non-penetrated 67442 Hit without Headsman buff is 67442 / 1.2 = 56202 (rounded)
Thus, with Hit rolled above 56202 would result in certain death.

So, after modifying a skill that starts out with the primary benefit of being able to ignore reflect to make it far more vulnerable to reflect, we're going to make calcultions based on the assumption that we are taking no steps to avoid or mitigate the damage. 0 evasion, 0 flasks, 0 uncapped res, 0 ele damage reduction. We're doing pure fire damage, but we aren't going to take any measures to deal with it what so ever.

tl/dr; You took a reflect-proof skill, made it not reflect-proof so you could do more damage with it, and are now here complaining about reflect.

Reflect: Working As Intended™
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 4, 2017, 6:24:02 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
logosys wrote:
To get one shot-ed by elemental reflect with 5800 Life, you need only 116000 hit...
As example I'll use my Slayer Fire-converted Ice Crash with 72% penetration and only Headsman (20% more damage on kill mod) and nothing else.

So, to start with we're taking a relatively reflect-proof skill (where half the damage is phys and half is ele) but modifying it to make it less safe so we can do more damage with it. Do you see where I'm going with this?
"
So, 116000 without penetration is 116000 / 1.72 = 67442 (rounded)
Raw non-penetrated 67442 Hit without Headsman buff is 67442 / 1.2 = 56202 (rounded)
Thus, with Hit rolled above 56202 would result in certain death.

So, after modifying a skill that starts out with the primary benefit of being able to ignore reflect to make it far more vulnerable to reflect, we're going to make calcultions based on the assumption that we are taking no steps to avoid or mitigate the damage. 0 evasion, 0 flasks, 0 uncapped res, 0 ele damage reduction. We're doing pure fire damage, but we aren't going to take any measures to deal with it what so ever.

tl/dr; You took a reflect-proof skill, made it not reflect-proof so you could do more damage with it, and are now here complaining about reflect.

Reflect: Working As Intended™

I was not applying all possible multiplier mods on character as well, so no, didn't need to account for raised monster resist. Evasion? How that will help you with one-shot? Flasks? Never played map with increased movement speed and Quick mod on mob where it will just "blink" and it is on your ass?

Didn't even account for map mods like Elemental Weakness or -% maximum resistances, which will not help with reflect either.

Didn't even account for crit builds, where you essentially playing Russian roulette with reflect.

Maybe you should take your reflect-proof Ice Crash and try Uber Atziri or Shaper ;)

Edit: Check Martyr of Innocence unique staff. Not much reflect-proof even with Ice Crash isn't it? :)
Last edited by logosys on May 4, 2017, 8:26:36 AM
"
logosys wrote:

Maybe you should take your reflect-proof Ice Crash and try Uber Atziri or Shaper ;)

Edit: Check Martyr of Innocence unique staff. Not much reflect-proof even with Ice Crash isn't it? :)

My point was, there are ways to deal with it, especially if all of your damage is one element (and yes, that can mean sacrificing some damage). That being said, in the case of 2h builds like eq or ice crash, there's no excuse for even attacking a reflect monster if you know you can't deal with it.

Back when there were full on reflect mobs, a lot of builds would carry an alt weapon setup specifically to deal with them. Be thankful you don't need to do that anymore. Worst case scenario, you see a reflect rare, you just remove a couple of gems.... People with off screen skills kind of have an excuse, melee doesn't.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 4, 2017, 8:55:04 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
logosys wrote:

My point was, there are ways to deal with it, especially if all of your damage is one element (and yes, that can mean sacrificing some damage). That being said, in the case of 2h builds like eq or ice crash, there's no excuse for even attacking a reflect monster if you know you can't deal with it.

Back when there were full on reflect mobs, a lot of builds would carry an alt weapon setup specifically to deal with them. Be thankful you don't need to do that anymore. Worst case scenario, you see a reflect rare, you just remove a couple of gems.... People with off screen skills kind of have an excuse, melee doesn't.

Hehe, I've got your point, and I've got it since beginning. But for some reason, I cannot get throught you with my point, that reflect isn't such trivial non-issue as some people makes it sound :)

It's that I don't like this issue being just swept under carpet with "Reflect is perfectly fine, 'couse you can sometimes with some builds workaround it without kicking your self in teeth".

So, I guess, we can wrap it up :)
"
logosys wrote:
But for some reason, I cannot get throught you with my point, that reflect isn't such trivial non-issue as some people makes it sound :)

Perhaps I can clarify the reason for you; I'm shit at this game, I die a lot to things that are trivial non-issues for some people, yet I don't die to reflect anymore. I only play HC and I lost too many characters to it back when it affected entire mobs. I still remember the day I got my first ever 6l, a Lioneye's Glare. I didn't understand how it interacted with evade and reflect and died within about 5 mins of getting it. Never made that mistake again....

You sound like someone who expects to just be able to charge through maps without checking monster affixes or facing anything that could kill you. This is something that exists, but in your case is completely avoidable simply by not attacking reflect rares (if you don't want to get into mitigation).

I still don't understand the problem. It's a great mechanic and I'm glad it exists.

remember when reflect had no noticeable aura? yeah, that was awhile ago, glad they fixed that.

remember when you couldn't see the aura because of too much going on the screen and it being effectively hidden? Yeah, that's still a thing.
"If you don't build around reflect, you die!"

That is indeed true. Good.

If you don't 'build around' Corrupting Blood, you die. If you don't build around play around boss slams, you die. If you don't build around a lot of things, you die.

GOOD.

People who want to play 110% offense builds with 2.5k health and eight-digit DPS should have to tolerate being rippy as fuck in exchange for spending every last single resource their build has on offense instead of trying to blend in some defense and mitigation, as well.

The game is allowed to try and beat you. If you want to make it easy for the game to beat you, then you don't get to complain when the game beats you. Lots of builds deal just fine with Reflect - most of mine just smash right through appropriate reflect critters without noticing them, and even Mighty Streamer Gods tend to handle it just fine.

Stop making bad builds and you'll die a whole lot less often to reflect.
"
1453R wrote:
"If you don't build around reflect, you die!"

That is indeed true. Good.

If you don't 'build around' Corrupting Blood, you die. If you don't build around play around boss slams, you die. If you don't build around a lot of things, you die.

GOOD.

People who want to play 110% offense builds with 2.5k health and eight-digit DPS should have to tolerate being rippy as fuck in exchange for spending every last single resource their build has on offense instead of trying to blend in some defense and mitigation, as well.

The game is allowed to try and beat you. If you want to make it easy for the game to beat you, then you don't get to complain when the game beats you. Lots of builds deal just fine with Reflect - most of mine just smash right through appropriate reflect critters without noticing them, and even Mighty Streamer Gods tend to handle it just fine.

Stop making bad builds and you'll die a whole lot less often to reflect.

This basically.. reflect is probaly the only thing that prevents this game from being totally trivalized.. more than it allready is.

I actually miss the old reflect mobs. I allso thought the physical link bloodlines was a cool mechanic because it prevented bad builds from 1 shotting everything. I know this is kinda out of the question.. but i would really wish they would make a third difficulty, something like:

Standard:
Hardcore:
A harder version of hardcore:

And before you go check my account about the fact that i have never killed atziri or shaper, hear me out please. Thoes encounters does not really excite me.. in this case we are talking about the normal encounters during maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info