[2.6] Chieftain dual Siege Ballista. All map mods. 8k life. Beginner and budget tips.

"
Elhazzared wrote:
I have to ask though. How does this deals without an item that adds an extra arrow?

I notice your drillneck does that (but buying one would be very expensive), the problem I forsee is that due to spread of the shot, firing 4 shots will mean it aims at an enemy but the spread simply makes it miss cause it would be firing 4 arrows. With an item to add one more that isn't a problem but with only 4 shooting single targets might require you to constnatly drop balistas point blankso that they get a couplke shots in before the enemy moves out of it's shotguning range and the spread is making it miss.

5 arrows are not necessary, it can be last upgrade when you have 6k+ hp and nice dps. This build works fine with 4 arrows, only situation when 5 arrows gives advantage are when you clear spread-ed packs by single ballista. 2 ballistas provide enough coverage for very wide mob spreads. So its more comfort option then necessary one.

Much more important thing is learn how to place optimally 2 ballistas to gain best crossfire effect.
I suggest not drop ballistas close, point blank tactics don't work well with siege ballista aiming behaviour. Dropping it in middle of pack is mistake, that makes clearing map slower.
Last edited by Elua on Apr 20, 2016, 12:26:50 PM
Yeah I know the idea is to use the balista's long range. My concern is that (as it happens with spells like split arrow), whenever you fire an even number of arrows, the way the shot splits means that no arrow goes in a straight line towards the pointed target. This means that if you are trying to hit single targets you normally have to fire a bit more to the right or left so that the arrow actually hits the target, however a totem doesn't does that, it aims straight at an enemy which means against large packs it will still kill a lot, but against a single target it will tend to miss as the spread is too big unless they are nearly point blank.

This is why I like to use uneven number of projectiles because that means that one will always go straight down the middle towards the intended target.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
Last edited by Elhazzared on Apr 20, 2016, 12:46:01 PM
"
Elhazzared wrote:
Yeah I know the idea is to use the balista's long range. My concern is that (as it happens with spells like split arrow), whenever you fire an even number of arrows, the way the shot splits means that no arrow goes in a straight line towards the pointed target. This means that if you are trying to hit single targets you normally have to fire a bit more to the right or left so that the arrow actually hits the target, however a totem doesn't does that, it aims straight at an enemy which means against large packs it will still kill a lot, but against a single target it will tend to miss as the spread is too big unless they are nearly point blank.

This is why I like to use uneven number of projectiles because that means that one will always go straight down the middle towards the intended target.

Interesting , but strange. Never got that feeling, stuff die too fast to bother, no matter single or pack.
Never got any problem during lvling or endgame to kill single hard stuff, and I don't played with that extra arrow Drillneck all time. I don't think aiming is any problem.

Rules for stuff refusing die are simple:

- you put second ballista
- you use curse and gain frenzy stacks
- you use vaal haste for super tough ones

When you got good gear 90% time you will not even use curse or frenzy.
Last edited by Elua on Apr 20, 2016, 1:20:56 PM
I'm not saying that it doesn't works, I haven't tried it after all. I'm just telling you my concerns over having played with split arrow before and even numbers of arrows (or pairs if you prefer) tended to have that problem but I'll give it a go and see how it works out for me. Worst case I'd have to farm another 3 or 4 ex to get a +1 projectile drillneck.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
You should simply try it. IMO that problem doesn't exist with 4 arrows Siege Ballista gem.
Last edited by Elua on Apr 21, 2016, 7:06:13 AM
Hey there, nice build! I usually run slower projectile gem for the more damage boost (its better than pierce I think).
"
thevdende wrote:
Hey there, nice build! I usually run slower projectile gem for the more damage boost (its better than pierce I think).

Slower projectiles 20/20 are exactly same dps boost as 20/20 pierce.
They are stronger then Faster Attack gem, but I NOT recommend that change. Little dps gain, huge comfort loss.
Well, apart from my inability to kill Atziri with these twin Ballista's, it is indeed one of the

easiest to level and play builds that I have tried out.

The set up makes for incredibly easy map runs and farming, it is actually quite relaxing to play,

unlike some builds that I have tried where you have to be constantly on your toes to prevent instant

rips.

You can fast clear and run through maps, or just slowly poke along whilst the Ballista's kill

everything. Either way the twin machines perform admirably.

My inability to kill the queen is probably down to my low DPS which is 26K per totem.

Anyway, this is a fun to play build that feels good to play.

Thanks to Elua for posting it up.

R.

Last edited by Rayzabladez on Apr 24, 2016, 2:14:04 AM
is this enchantment valuable to this build?

Shitysushi - Arrow shooting build.
Sendeliriante - hollow palmer
"
sendantes wrote:
is this enchantment valuable to this build?

Yes that is best enchant for this build, but helm is mediocre.
That "10% reduced Physical Damage" is very bad, and this item have 0 hp.
Better buy is cheap rare helm like that:

and optimal is Starkonja's Head

( sadly still no proper enchant on it :/ )
Last edited by Elua on Apr 25, 2016, 7:36:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info