Dear GGG, is there a fix on the way for this? Multiple trap ="less dmg" instead of "less trap dmg"

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Jonmcdonald wrote:
Why is it preferred to have a global less multiplier compared to less trap multiplier, anyway?
The "less damage" modifier is inherently meant as a counterbalance against the "place extra traps" modifier.

The "place extra traps" effectively multiplies the potential damage output of not just the trap, but any objects created by the trap which then do their own skills.

Therefore the "less damage" should do so as well, or else it's not working as that counterbalance.
If the bonus (more traps) applies to some things that the penalty doesn't, then we have to balance the gem around those cases (mostly specific minions) where only bonus applies but the penalty doesn't, which would make the gem less appealing in all the cases the penalty does apply. That restricts build diversity significantly.
well... Thanks for explaining your point of view on the matter, I still love you even if you crush my dreams

I thought both needed to be "trap" since lmp and gmp are both "projectile"

Also, trap should be global more too. If you justify the less of MT and CT with the "more traps"
We can justify the more of trap with the things you can do less.
it would balance with the fact that you are "less" accurate, "less" fast( throw, wait the trigger, cast), "less" quantity potential (3 trap cooldown)

My sincerest apologies to anybody that used cluster traps and that will get 40% less damage by next patch
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Apr 8, 2016, 1:02:56 AM
Traps are reflect free and can cast from safe distance in circumstances created by the player - there is no need to make it even easier on them

the underlying issue remains:

why play without 'multi/cluster trap' at all? the counterbalance these supports have is one that does not exist. this game got to the point when you are attacked by 1000 mobs per map (rampage counter made it plainly visible and easily measurable). mobs that die easily too. you want to hit as many targets as possible. single target setups are both mechanically bad and WORSE damage-wise than multitrap setups.

currently there is only one scenario where single traps should be 'better (on paper)' - elemental equilibrium (as multitraps trigger EE on themselves) but even that is circumstantial and is not guaranteed better than simple 'throw rain of traps on everything'. no support gem gives more to traps than multi/cluster-trap - damage, coverage. this is simply a mandatory link.

bladefall trap is better than Bear Trap btw - you are aware of that? the iconic single target skill is worse than FoTM one. and it is an AOE skill that has a far bigger pool of available supports
Honestly, Multiple trap support gem should had been what Cluster trap support gem is currently. Multiple trap support gem should just be removed from the game with how it is behaving mechanically. While it is supposed to act like the LMP version, it just does not operate the same way that cluster trap work mechanically. If the less damage penalty is what should had been then there should be some compensation (in balancing).

Just an example
LMP = 25% to 16% less dmg
GMP = 35% to 26% less dmg

Current
Multiple trap = 40% to 21% less dmg (fairly high for a support gem that feels very outdated)
Cluster trap = 55% to 36% less trap dmg ( with less dmg, the penalty would be too massive)

New (Not sure if this will ever happen)

Multiple trap = 30% to 11% less dmg (even with a buff, it will still feel meh because of its mechanic)
Cluster trap = 45% to 26% less dmg (will still feel it, but at least the penalty is not too heavy)

I do not know, I feel when cluster trap gets tweaked because of an oversight, it will leave a bitter taste. I will just wait out and see how GGG will approach this. In the end I will still use cluster trap because it has so much coverage compare to multiple trap which is just........really meh.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Apr 8, 2016, 1:36:31 AM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Honestly, Multiple trap support gem should had been what Cluster trap support gem is currently. Multiple trap support gem should just be removed from the game with how it is behaving mechanically. While it is supposed to act like the LMP version, it just does not operate the same way that cluster trap work mechanically. If the less damage penalty is what should had been then there should be some compensation (in balancing).

Just an example
LMP = 25% to 16% less dmg
GMP = 35% to 26% less dmg

Current
Multiple trap = 40% to 21% less dmg (fairly high for a support gem that feels very outdated)
Cluster trap = 55% to 36% less trap dmg ( with less dmg, the penalty would be too massive)

New (Not sure if this will ever happen)

Multiple trap = 30% to 11% less dmg (even with a buff, it will still feel meh because of its mechanic)
Cluster trap = 45% to 26% less dmg (will still feel it, but at least the penalty is not too heavy)

I do not know, I feel when cluster trap gets tweaked because of an oversight, it will leave a bitter taste. I will just wait out and see how GGG will approach this. In the end I will still use cluster trap because it has so much coverage compare to multiple trap which is just........really meh.

I feel that multitrap has a good niche, its in a line and can do very good with the 'in a line, coax enemy to walk towards you and trigger one after another'

But I think it should be renamed to 'line of traps' or something similar because of that, because as you said, cluster trap is what you expect multitrap to do

I still use it sometimes in builds where I want a staggered trap effect. Bear trap works quite well for bosses for example (melee ones), as they hit the first, you keep casting things, then hit the second, then the third. You know it hits them one at a time which majkes it 3x as effective.
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

I feel that multitrap has a good niche, its in a line and can do very good with the 'in a line, coax enemy to walk towards you and trigger one after another'

But I think it should be renamed to 'line of traps' or something similar because of that, because as you said, cluster trap is what you expect multitrap to do

I still use it sometimes in builds where I want a staggered trap effect. Bear trap works quite well for bosses for example (melee ones), as they hit the first, you keep casting things, then hit the second, then the third. You know it hits them one at a time which majkes it 3x as effective.

In this case, it would feel like a single-targeting skill with a hefty penalty. Even then, you are pretty much treating the skill as utility skill. Otherwise, your clear speed suffers from it if your intention is not to treat it as a utility skill. Multiple trap does not work well against multiple mobs in different directions and it just hurts single-targeting. In that sense, yes, multiple trap is a niche......in a meh way.

Edit: Maybe it is just me that I find multiple traps a frustrating support gem.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Apr 8, 2016, 2:06:34 AM
Sexcalibure wrote
"
Also, trap should be global more too. If you justify the less of MT and CT with the "more traps"
We can justify the more of trap with the things you can do less.
it would balance with the fact that you are "less" accurate, "less" fast( throw, wait the trigger, cast), "less" quantity potential (3 trap cooldown)

My sincerest apologies to anybody that used cluster traps and that will get 40% less damage by next patch

Good point since the balance is suggested around minions and yet minions dont get any more damage bonus from the trap itself.
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Honestly, Multiple trap support gem should had been what Cluster trap support gem is currently.

-Wild strike is what elemental hit should have been
-Earthquake is what groundslam should have been
- ice crash is what glacial hammer should have been
-static strike has the effect that Shock nova should have gotten when it was a shitty skill

i cannot blame them for adding new stuff instead of just buffing old shit, it has a bigger impact that way, but at some point, old schooler that have learn to know skill, they remember.

but again, i guess they just tried to make a pendant to lmp/gmp
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Apr 8, 2016, 2:19:47 PM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
where is the logic in making it Global rather than "Trap"?

How come you don't see the logic ? You can make a trap out of just about anything, not only trap-gems. What would be the point in casting say for example mirror/blink arrow yourself if trap-supports would just always be that much better ? (I did such build and it's pretty neat; I'd guess the same build would be quite broken with cluster right now)

Edit: oh, mark explained already ..
Last edited by dyneol on Apr 8, 2016, 10:26:07 AM
Once upon a time Remote Mine and Trap did give a generic More damage, and they were nerfed. Why? Back in those days, "x% increased Mine Damage" scaled the damage of Traps created by Mines, and apparently there were some issues massively scaling damage with Trap+Mine combo, given some very favorable passive nodes.

This also led to some weird Minion play. For example, the highest damage Zombies in the game for a while would be created using Remote Mine and Trap, using Sunblast to remove the need for enemies to trigger Traps. This was a lot like having three Minion Damage supports, but added a tedious, snapshotting-ish step to starting up your summoner.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 8, 2016, 10:33:38 AM
Thank you Mark for killing the Cluster Trap - Sunblast - Mirror Arrow summoner build, and yes that is sarcasm, this is just one of the new and completely original builds that will lose all meaning with this change (and no they are not OP).

Time to get on the meta train again, I guess. Why have your own idea when the game so generously streamlines you into following the masses?
Last edited by Luminar on Apr 8, 2016, 1:23:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info