Are Perandus mobs killing your frame rates?

Little Update:

Went from ATI 7970 OC Vapor-x (3GB) > Nvidia 980TI OC (6GB)
Overall i have way more frames, sometimes it drops but by far not as much as it did with my ATi card.
Even in Parties it way more fluent now.
Also iam Sitting on maxed settings now.

Once against nvidia is overall better performing than ati when it comes to POE.

I also excluded Poe from cpu0 usage, which gave me another performance boost.
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
"
vsync is just to get a stable framerate depending on ur screen refreshrate.

Iam running vsync 60fps, if i remove vsync i have 400fps in town but my gpu is acting like crazy, getting heated up for no reason. vsync keeps my gpu load low, there is no difference in the game itself, but u get insane lagdrops with not running vsync, like longer fps freezes etc.

anyway my 980ti arrived today, gonna build it in later and iam excited to see if it changes my fps Drops.

Very good to know. I'll have to turn it on and see... hear... that my Twin Frozr III fans don't rev up as much playing PoE. I use Steel series over the ear headphones so video card fan noise is not a problem but still... knowing that higher gpu fans = more heat = more power used it would be interesting to see if vsync is enabled it will keep the gpu power consumption lower.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
I play with a potato (q6600, 4GB Ram, gtx 750) and I barely lag when I encounter them solo.
Glowing green mouse cursor plz.
"
Little Update:

Went from ATI 7970 OC Vapor-x (3GB) > Nvidia 980TI OC (6GB)
Overall i have way more frames, sometimes it drops but by far not as much as it did with my ATi card.
Even in Parties it way more fluent now.
Also iam Sitting on maxed settings now.

Once against nvidia is overall better performing than ati when it comes to POE.

I also excluded Poe from cpu0 usage, which gave me another performance boost.

Well I would hope a 980TI would out perform a 7970, your comparing a $1000 gpu to a $350 gpu.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 I know many have trouble with Perandus mobs killing video frame rates. The question is why?

The loading of Perandus mobs doesn't feel like it has been through the POE dev opitmization gauntlet yet.

As someone who has played PoE on three different systems over almost 5 years, here is what I see.

When Rogue exiles were introduced, they impacted frame rate and you could tell if an instance had one because of the the delay in loading a new instance.

When Corrupted Areas were introduced, you could tell if an instance had one because of the delay in loading a new instance. You didn't even need to look at the F1 screen, depending on your system.

After the GGG team worked on these, *most* of that disappeared.

The Perandus mob groups are much like the above. Due to my extremely limited time to game lately, there were a lot of areas that I just ran through, got the quest and moved on. Sometimes these areas would take forever to load. The ones that took a long time to load either had a Perandus mob group or Cadiro. Every single one. I had done several full clears in other areas (for leveling, or farming to get some slightly better gear) and Perandus and Cadiro were occasionally there.

When a perandus group appears in my instance (actually about 1-2 screens away) my FPS takes a dump for about 0.5 - 3.0 seconds depending on how many mobs, and how "fancy" their appearance is. The FPS rate recovers mostly, but until they are dead, it still suffers somewhat. (I'll try to look at the actual numbers and add them in here with an edit)

FWIW, this is the system I am currently running PoE on. (my connection is usually very good with a ping of 30-36)

Windows 7 Pro (clean OS install only)
AVG antivirus
Spybot
ZA fire wall

Before I fire up PoE, only 1% of CPU is being used, and 92%+ of memory is available

I7 3930 CPU 3.2 GhZ (12 cores, not that PoE uses them)
MSI X79A-GD45 board
32 G 1866 quad memory (G.Skill Ripjaws iirc, might be Corsair)
Running PoE off of a Samsung SSD
Radeon 7950 900 Mhz 3GB Video card
Spoiler
(at the time, Titans were way out of my budget and back ordered) Just about all the testing and reviews I could find at the time of purchase put the Radeon at a much better price performance ratio unless you could spend at least twice as much.

I am running PoE with

VSync ON
Shadows OFF
Antialiasing MED
Texture MED
Text Filter Trilinear
Post Process OFF

Up until Perandus mobs, there was very little in vanilla PoE that really affected my frame rate. A map group full of CoC dischargers would certainly bring it down to about 1/3, but the game itself really didn't cause any FPS issues. It isn't a system or OS issue, it's something in the way the Perandus mobs are coded and loaded that hits people's systems.

The FPS hit and load delays aren't overly annoying, and I've learned to hold back my character a second or two to prevent getting killed. I expect that GGG will find some time to clean up how the mobs are implemented, and in the future they won't affect the game any more than strong boxes or rogue exiles do now.

To say that the Perandus mob frame rate/loading issue is caused by something on the user end or connection end, I would say is not accurate at all.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
I think you are right about perandus mobs, and i reckon the lab was giving issue as well early during thou league.

After the last patch it seems to work way better on my system.
For an Emperor to be just, an Emperor must be patient.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
GGG can be criticized for not having been coded around a top end commercial gaming engine but come on now, if I were to put a racing engine in a VW bug (hypothetically) I would never get 200+ mph speed out of it.

You could, if you built it right. I had a friend who raced VW bugs (and made the cover of several magazines). His pride was an atrociously pink bug that could top 200. Other than the engine and driver's seat, it was mostly empty, and had a rock solid suspension. He could (and did) put a 4,500 pound pallet of tile on the floor board behind the driver's seat, and the shocks didn't even budge.

Not sure the record still holds, but for 0-60 times, a 1965 Bug beat the pants off a Bugatti, and may even still hold the world record at 1.6 seconds (2011 record).

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Are Perandus mobs killing your frame rates?

yes
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Perandus mobs caused me many HC deaths....so i switched to SC the same happened every time i would load an instance with a perandus mob,then they patched the game,it helped enough so i wouldn't rip...played around with my PC an the cause was heavy load on my hard drive because of windows 10.I got myself Razer Cortex to remove some of the strain during gameplay which helped alot. With the latest patch i am back to lag me out of the game....so i said F it and quit playing perandus league all together.This games performance is cancer on your soul the more you try to fix it the worse it will get.I used to love this game so much but now i hardly play anymore.Act 4 is the worst thing that could have ever happened to HC an now this garbage called perandus.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Spoiler
"
Arrowneous wrote:
GGG can be criticized for not having been coded around a top end commercial gaming engine but come on now, if I were to put a racing engine in a VW bug (hypothetically) I would never get 200+ mph speed out of it.

You could, if you built it right. I had a friend who raced VW bugs (and made the cover of several magazines). His pride was an atrociously pink bug that could top 200. Other than the engine and driver's seat, it was mostly empty, and had a rock solid suspension. He could (and did) put a 4,500 pound pallet of tile on the floor board behind the driver's seat, and the shocks didn't even budge.

Not sure the record still holds, but for 0-60 times, a 1965 Bug beat the pants off a Bugatti, and may even still hold the world record at 1.6 seconds (2011 record).

Spoiler

LoL... I knew I should have googled before I made that comment about racing engine in a VW.

My point was that if I can do Perandus farming on my older gaming rig with a lowly ATI HD6870 on a souped up dual core Intel i5 cpu and not drop to single digit frame rates then those who do are seriously doing something wrong on the hardware side of things. No one should ever try to play any game (especially PoE) on just the integrated GPU in the CPU or APU. I also don't think that any video card under $100 is going to have enough horsepower to run PoE adaquately.

My video card is an MSI Hawk HD6870. A quick google shows it to be a pre-R series pre-AMD (ATI) video card. My friend has an AMD R270 and he runs Mech Warrior and with 3 screens for the panoramic view it's beautiful and butter smooth. I'd never be able to do that on my 6870.

I'm not trying to defend GGG for their poor performing custom game engine. I too wish there had been a way to economically license the Unreal (or any other suitable for an arpg) commercial game engine back in 2006/2007 so that GGG could focus all their resources on the arpg and let Unreal coders push the graphics envelope on the ever evolving GPU. That would have been great and I'm sure GGG wishes today that there was a way to bank roll it back then too. But without a huge up front financial investment (I think I read somewhere here that it was like half a million dollars) there was no way to get a license to use any commercial game engine. Think about it for a moment... you and your college friends (the 4 of you) are discussing the likes/dislikes of D2 and other arpg's being played back in 2006. One of you says, "Let's write our own arpg. Let's take what we like from current arpg's and create a better arpg game." I'm sure many of us have fantasized about creating a better arpg than D2. But the 4 GGG founders actually did it. But no one had an extra half a million to drop on a game engine license and gamble that one day they'd have a great game and a financially successful company. (If you have never run your own business you will never know the stress of generating enough revenue to make payroll each week).

Most PoE players don't have a clue how GGG and PoE came to be so all they see is "my frame rate crashed when I encountered Perandus mob... this game sucks donkey". All they know is comparing PoE to any other A1 title from Blizzard or Bethesda or any other huge game company. GGG is not in the same league, they are a very small indie game company (last I read there were 50 something full time employees). Have you ever let the D3 credits scroll by when you killed Diablo. WOW!!! Talk about your blockbuster movie end credits, that's what it took for Blizzard to produce D3. I never timed how long it goes on but damn... that's a huge number of people that had a hand in creating it so we should expect nothing less than a super polished game and that's what we got in the graphics and playing performance department. Contrast that to GGG. 4 core developers working on a shoestring budget in New Zealand... I always knew where NZ is but if it weren't for the Lord of The Rings movies I'd bet over half the players wouldn't knew where the hell NZ is in the world without looking it up.

We all want PoE to play at the D3 performance level. We all hate frame rate crashes with mobs and the extra flashiness and animation of Perandus mobs just magnifies the PoE graphics engine performance problems. But if I can play and not sustain game breaking screen freezing (single digit frame rates) when I encounter Perandus mobs then everyone else who has a medium performance gpu or better should too. If not then something needs to be tweaked (I run at full 1920 x 1080 HD res. with medium on other settings) to get better play for Perandus League.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info