Are Perandus mobs killing your frame rates?

"
Mikrotherion wrote:
Yes, Perandus mobs kill my framerate.
On the plus side, I hardly have any crashes.
Since my laptop is 4.5 years old and wasn't a gaming machine when it was new it's kinda OK.

Well there's your problem. Unless your laptop has a dedicated GPU you are never ever going to be able to play PoE at any acceptable video performance level. Even a top end laptop with a mobile Intel quad core cpu will have a crappy integrated gpu compared to any cheap 128 bit or 256 bit dedicated gpu. Never in a million years would I attempt play any game on just the integrated gpu of even a top Intel core-i5 or core-i7 cpu or AMD APU. Yes, AMD has the best integrated gpu in their APUs and leaves Intel in the dust but if I benchmarked my old AMD 6870 gpu against even the top current AMD APU my MSI Hawk will beat the integrated AMD gpu without breaking a sweat.

If you won or bought one of the Alienware top end laptops which have a separate dedicated gpu in it then that probably would play PoE and Perandus mobs would not kill framerates. GGG can be criticized for not having been coded around a top end commercial gaming engine but come on now, if I were to put a racing engine in a VW bug (hypothetically) I would never get 200+ mph speed out of it. So if you attempt to play PoE on any desktop or laptop computer with just the cpu's integrated graphics then you are expecting GGG to code the impossible.

I'll elaborate using my old MSI Hawk HD6870 gpu:

1. 930 MHz gpu clock
2. 1 GB GDDR5 ram at 1050 MHz (4.2 Gbps effective speed)
3. 1120 Stream processors (Shader Unit)
4. 56 TMUs (Texture Mapping Unit)
5. 32 ROPs (Render Output Unit)
6. 28.8 GPixel/s, 50.4 GTexel/s (maximum data throughput)
7. DirectX 11

Top AMD APU currently is the AMD A10-7890K
4.1 to 4.3 GHz quad core Godavari cpu:

1. 900 MHz gpu clock
2. uses computer's main DDR3 memory (up to DDR3 2133 speed)
3. 500 Stream processors
4. 32 TMUs...
5. 8 ROPs
6. (not specified by AMD)
7. DirectX 12

nVidia Gforce GPUs are based on a completely different design and as such it is hard to directly compare internal features that all add up to the frame rates we see in PoE (hard to compare apples to oranges). Suffice to say that more is always better, more speed, more shaders, more TMUs, more ROPs, etc. (or the nVidia equivalents).

As you can see GPUs are extremely complex graphic data processing devices made up of many sub-systems that all play a part in it's overall performance to play any game at a high enough frame rate to be enjoyable. As my example using my old pre R Series MSI Hawk HD6870 shows, clearly there's more of everything in a dedicated gpu than any top of the line modern AMD APU will ever have and Intel HD-Graphics is even worse.

So unless you have a separate physical GPU in your laptop playing PoE with the integrated gpu and then complaining to GGG that Perandus mobs suck because you are trying to play on a computer (desktop or laptop) that is clearly inferior and shouldn't be used for this game (or any game for that matter) where high frame rates are paramount is your fault.

However, GGG should clearly post the realistic "real world" hardware requirements for playing PoE so that all this bitching about performance killing mobs and how PoE "sucks donkey" when the quantity of creatures is high and frame rates crash. To be sure GGG has a poor performing custom engine in many ways compared to a commercial multi-million dollar created game engine and that's clearly to be expected but for all who bitch that the new Perandus mobs are the worst of the worst in terms of mob frame stopping content you should seriously take a hard look at what kind of computer and especially what GPU you are trying to play PoE on.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Mar 29, 2016, 3:34:53 PM
"
xonedl wrote:
TLDR; yes it does.

I heard about the disable Vsync method, gonna try it now see if it prevent the game from iddping to 10fps... And... It dip from 100+ fps to 30fps.

i5 2500k, 12GB DDR3, R9 280X

Roll a twined orchard map just now, a perandus group in boss room... 1fps. ALT+F4... (correction - turn out to be TWO perandus box...)
I guess I should try grab a fresh new client copy later, not sure if my several years old "dirty" copy might affect performance.

Hmm... a very good quad core Intel processor and a Radeon R7 280X are very good gaming rig specs. Frame rate drops to 30 fps is to be expected as long as it doesn't tank too often. If it does then maybe you need to dial down on other particle and shadows effects levels. I get noticable stuttering while moving at times but nothing that is game breaking bad (just mildly annoying sometimes).

I've always kept vsync disabled with my MSI Hawk HD6870. I don't really notice tearing on my 24" ASUS HD monitor. I started in CB (have a kiwi pet as proof of when I started) and have never done a complete re-install of PoE, just the normal automatic patch updates.

I did finally get tired of the super long initial load time (over 2 minutes) and zone loading waits so I finally got a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and now I start PoE in under 20 secs. Nothing injects new life into an aging gaming rig as much as an SSD does. If you already have good or better cpu/gpu specs then an SSD is highly recommended.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

"
I'm no stranger to fps drops, but there was once a Zana mission with seawitches/beyond and a pera box... My game froze for several seconds.

"
morbo wrote:
But I was more surprised at how laggy (stuttering) burning ground has become. I though they fixed that??! -_-

I thought I was imagining things about burning ground. Maybe I wasn't.

Nope, burning ground is a source of frame rate stuttering as is consecrated, shocking, etc. ground effects. Either there is just more of everything to process per frame iteration or GGG is trying to squeeze in more game sessions per game server cpu core than before as daily player rates are higher with Ascendancy than previous temp leagues.

I'll just say that i get frame drop when i encounter a Perandus chest too, from 60 to 40-45.

I'm playing on an i5-4670 3.4Ghz, 8 GB Ram and a Gtx 970.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 I've always kept vsync disabled with my MSI Hawk HD6870. I don't really notice tearing on my 24" ASUS HD monitor.

I prefer to leave Vsync on, it's not the tearing that I want to fix - but smoothness / fluidity of the visual that I like with Vsync on. I play on big screen though.

I tried to use the Framrate Target Control on both Client.exe and PathofExile.exe but somehow it doesn't work for this game, and still shoot to 140fps without Vsync... Hmmm...

I tfeel the blue Perandus pack affect the framerate much worst then the normal pack, though I didn't actually go measure it. It does drop to single digit sometime or causing whole map to lag, which is rather annoying.
Last edited by xonedl on Mar 29, 2016, 11:57:04 PM
What really makes me mad about it is that i hadn't issues in talisman, nor with other games i play. Has perandus changed the game from a nice game to a killer up? Is this awesome content so good that i must upgrade my rigore for it?

I think that is not worth.

I like it and enjoy it, but not at this price.
For an Emperor to be just, an Emperor must be patient.
"
xonedl wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 I've always kept vsync disabled with my MSI Hawk HD6870. I don't really notice tearing on my 24" ASUS HD monitor.

I prefer to leave Vsync on, it's not the tearing that I want to fix - but smoothness / fluidity of the visual that I like with Vsync on. I play on big screen though.

I tried to use the Framrate Target Control on both Client.exe and PathofExile.exe but somehow it doesn't work for this game, and still shoot to 140fps without Vsync... Hmmm...

I tfeel the blue Perandus pack affect the framerate much worst then the normal pack, though I didn't actually go measure it. It does drop to single digit sometime or causing whole map to lag, which is rather annoying.

vsync is just to get a stable framerate depending on ur screen refreshrate.

Iam running vsync 60fps, if i remove vsync i have 400fps in town but my gpu is acting like crazy, getting heated up for no reason. vsync keeps my gpu load low, there is no difference in the game itself, but u get insane lagdrops with not running vsync, like longer fps freezes etc.

anyway my 980ti arrived today, gonna build it in later and iam excited to see if it changes my fps Drops.
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
"
Seifa85 wrote:
I'll just say that i get frame drop when i encounter a Perandus chest too, from 60 to 40-45.

I'm playing on an i5-4670 3.4Ghz, 8 GB Ram and a Gtx 970.

Thanks for the input. I have always used AMD GPU video cards so I don't have any nVidia experience to know how well or not Perandus mobs play on GeForce. The GTX 970 is a higher end nVidia GPU so it's good to know that frame rates don't drop very much when encountering Perandus mobs. 40 to 45 fps when attacking Perandus mobs is a very respectable frame rate.

I've talked about it before but it's worth noting again that the GPU makers are poised to release their HBM2 based designs starting this summer. With HBM2 (2nd gen high bandwidth memory) we should really see a jump in performance for every game. With AMD transistor sizes cut in half to seriously reduce power requirements, 4 GB of HBM2 memory linked directly to the GPU so it has a 4096 bit wide data path, and many other performance enhancements, the 2nd half of 2016 should be a great time to look at replacing my MSI Hawk HD6870. The Twin Frozr III cooler on the Hawk has served me fantastically well over it's life (close to 5 years) so I'll be looking come fall to see what MSI has engineered for cooling solutions on their AMD Arctic Island products. A new video card will probably be at the top of my Christmas 2016 wish list.

Perandus mobs heavily impact my frame rate, but nowhere near as much as other players nearby.

I basically can't party for any practical purpose like map farming, only do it for the master missions/challenges since I can't get loot more or less.
Let me start by saying I am already playing a pretty laggy Blast rain CoC firestorm build. My frame rate will drop if I attack any large groups that are by a divine shrine or have other allies cannot die

But it also always drops around perandus chests.

I thought it was my video card as I was running a Geforce 550 Ti but I upgraded recently and I can still drop to 1 FPS it just recovers faster from it.

System
6 core AMD FX-6300 3.5 ghz
32gb DDR3
Geforce GTX 960 4gb GDDR5
Win 7 64
Last edited by Uzzerzen on Mar 30, 2016, 12:13:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info