Blade Vortex

"
"
kreca73 wrote:
balance:
- add a small movement penalty per blade active

Why?

Of the spells that were added in 2.1, Blade Vortex is the least effective.

that's not even a point or an argument...
have i said that all the other spells introduced in 2.1 are fine or balanced?.

blade vortex had to much utility for no downside.
Because it's just not that good.

No other spell in the game forces as dangerous a playstyle.

The damage, at high levels, certainly doesn't make up for it. Does it do too much damage at low levels? Quite possibly. Does it level off drastically? Definitely.

I would consider Blade Vortex to be most comparable to Spark or Ball Lightning, in the fact that the player is able to scale the total damage inflicted off of non-direct attributes, such as skill duration, projectile speed, and skill area of effect.

Even of those skills, which have generally more flat progressions than other similar spells, if you compare the damage the spells do at player level 44 to the damage these spells do at gem level 20, Blade Vortex has the lowest progression.

Ball Lightning comes in at 342% increased damage between player level 44 (gem level 7) and gem level 20;

Spark comes in at 286% increased damage between player level 44 (gem level 13) and 20; and

Blade Vortex comes in last at 263% increased damage between player level 44 (gem level 10) and 20.

Bear in mind that in addition to increasing its damage, Spark gains an additional projectile during that same progression.

It's even worse if you look at the difference between gem level 20 and gem level 24:

Level 24 Spark deals 44% more damage than level 20 Spark;

Level 24 Ball Lightning deals 43% more damage than level 20 Ball Lightning; and

Level 24 Blade Vortex deals 21% more damage than level 20 Blade Vortex.

So why should Blade Vortex have such a flat progression of damage compared to these other skills which are equally able to scale their damage outside of cast speed and % damage increase by taking slower projectiles, increased area, or increased duration?

For reference, Fireball has 354% increased damage from player level 44 to gem level 20, and at level 24 deals 44% more damage than at level 20.

Vaal Molten Shell, although a Vaal skill, increases its damage by 527% from player level 44 to gem level 20, and at level 24, deals 63% more damage than at gem level 20. I know it's a Vaal skill, but come on. Of all the skills presented, VMS has the closest playstyle to Blade Vortex. Cast the spell and run directly at things. But VMS does tons more damage, and actually makes you more survivable by increasing your armour.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Feb 2, 2016, 3:46:31 PM
- i said nothing about its damage(maybe it's OP maybe it's not, but certainly it will not be compared only with the new skills nor compared the way you did - by looking at pure dmg potential only, without looking into other scaling dmg sources).
- it just has to much utility with trigger gems with no downside
Last edited by kreca73 on Feb 6, 2016, 2:45:54 AM
It's currently one of the most powerful skills in the game.. lol
SSF, because Path of Trade RMTers and bots suck.
Lol. Thanks for your contribution.

Lol. That's why it hasn't appeared on any list of the most used skill in any league released by GGG or data mined by users.

Lol.
so far am lvl 86 with vortex almost 20/20 and have noticed that with a high amt of blades, i.e. 30+, and then hit a large mob, like whirling blades into a large pack, fracture, strongbox stuff like that, the game will lag out hard and sometimes actually disconnect all the way to login screen. I have ran a mjolner discharge toon with 0 lag so was caught of guard by this. not sure if its a bug or if its actually my laptop. links are in the tabula and I will link it to this. \
The past is a ghost that haunts you from the moment it exists, until the moment you do not.
The game engine can't keep up.

Happens 100% of the time with myou AoF Emberwake Elemental Proliferation build.
"
It's currently one of the most powerful skills in the game.. lol

I swear, people who make this comment never actually play Blade Vortex.
Blade Vortex is very dangerous to play, it is as dangerous to play Blade Vortex as it is to play melee. Because Blade Vortex is pretty much melee range even with +AoE nodes.
The damage is great, especially against a stationary target. However, it is still very weak, because of how dangerous it is and how you have to constantly keep casting it.

Anyone who actually plays Blade Vortex will notice this as you get higher and higher levels. It goes from great to good to average to not so good.
i do wish the duration was a bit longer, like 7 or 8s base duration (21s with 20/20 and all duration nodes) just so you wouldn't need to cast it a number times against every pack you come across.

oh well
actually its not that dangerous for the most part. most people that run it have a high leech rate, also most of em use a cybils paw for even more life, which is gained on each enemy hit regardless of the damage you deal, which on its own is 2x1sec per blade which is an insane amt of lgoh and that's not counting the leech at all. plus its becoming even more common to run RF with it since the aoe is around the same size if specced right which is dmg from both of them and also since BV is a spell gains that dps boost as well. plus I also switch out one of my gems for LL gem, typically added fire since its damage effectiveness is so low its barely noticeable. plus if you take acro/phase acro its even a bit more able to take the hits. all in all its tankier than it looks.
The past is a ghost that haunts you from the moment it exists, until the moment you do not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info