Announcing the Five-week Darkshrine Events

...and may the odds be in your favor.
"Teamwork is OP"
-The one and only one Dark_Reaper115 at your service.
This sounds very interesting!
I'm already hyped! :D
"
Darkshrine was a challenge league idea that we rejected in the past because it had two problems. The first was that it probably wasn't substantial enough for a full three/four month league on its own. The second was that we thought it might be a bit oppressive for all the new players that we get for a fully-marketed challenge league release.

If this is well received, would you consider it as a rare occurrence in the core game? Keep in mind that running the same content over and over, a little RNG event wise does spice things up.
Interesting event, I wonder do the shrines take ilvl into account or is it.. the rank of mods on the item and how many. Maybe certain mods grouped together that players find useful? I would like to think it's possibly a combination of all of those and not purely based on ilvl.

#NeverGoing90
"
Vhlad wrote:
I hope each shrine effect comes with an associated atmospheric text/quote (diablo 1 style), so we can eventually identify them all. I'd be disappointed if it always required investigation to determine which event we got.

Diablo 1 shrine examples:

"The hands of men may be guided by fate." = +2 dex
"Arcane power brings destruction." = cast nova + refill mana
"Crimson and Azure become as the sun." = converts all potions into rejuvenation
"New strength is forged through destruction." -10 max durability to one item, +10 to others

etc.

(the shrines in D1 had names too, "hidden", "cryptic", "secluded", etc., so you could know beforehand what it did and decide whether to click on it. Clearly that won't work here since we're using a generic darkshrine with effects determined by what is sacrificed. So while we can't quite opt in to specific events (unless they're reliably tied to specific sacrifices), it would still be nice to have some hint toward which event we received (such as flavor text /lore popup, or possibly even a distinct sound effect).

That's similar to the regular shrines in PoE. Each one has a unique name and symbol and a special quote when you touch it.

Skeletal Shrine - "The past shall serve the present"
Acceleration Shrine - "Death doesn't wait"

And so on and so forth. I think it's much harder to have special quotes in this league because the number of possible effects looks really high. I'm completely in for a way to know which effect was activated, though.
That's the kind of dark and oppressive atmosphere I really love in this game. And this temporary RNG-powered league looks really fun.
"
Chris wrote:
"
Drumheller wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun! Thank you!

Will it only work for rare items or items of any rarity?

Only rare (yellow) items. You'll start by sacrificing ones you don't need, but then the greed will take over...

You'd be surprised at what I vendor trash because of the lack of a trading system.
"
Kingoko wrote:
WTB rare fishing rod :)

OH
MAH
GOD !!!

I actually want someone to do that. Keep qouting until the event starts and someone does it !!!
"Teamwork is OP"
-The one and only one Dark_Reaper115 at your service.
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
"
KaiSong wrote:
High profile players that cant read that you can only use rares.

You know an alternate meaning for "rare" is "uncommon", right? It wasn't obvious they were talking about yellow items.

Except for the part where they actually said "Yellow Items".
"
Chris wrote:
"
Frozen666 wrote:
How many items can one sacrifice at a shrine?

and how many shrines can occur in one zone?

One item per Darkshrine.

The Darkshrines aren't particularly rare. I don't know how often they spawn but it's not meant to be super hard to find them.

Will every zone be guaranteed to have at least 1?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info