Act 4: evasion sucks

"
Char1983 wrote:
"
puviel wrote:
Also, as an evasion character, and especially with dodge, you can survive if you get caught in Malachai's teleport slam by not getting hit. Every other defence is simply useless against that attack.

That, btw, is not true. I can tank his teleport slam at 5.7k HP with enough other defenses (armour, 8 endurance charges, fortify). I am pretty sure you can tank it with a legacy Lightning Coil and Taste of Hate as well, as far as I know its physical damage. Did not really try though.
IIRC it also can be blocked.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
d
Last edited by Jennik on Dec 11, 2015, 10:05:40 AM
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
"
puviel wrote:
There are some misunderstandings of how evasion works in this thread.

You're not the exception
"
puviel wrote:
1. Evasion is not a chance, it is a rate. If you have 50% chance to evade you will only get hit every second time per monster.

Wrong. It's not rate:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/filter-account-type/staff/page/10#p748465
And it's not "per monster" either:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/filter-account-type/staff/page/8#p642245

Clearly a rate by the rate link.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.
Evasion and Armor are both fine.

1. It doesn't really matter if you use Armor or Evasion, both are generally not strong enough without other layers like Enduring Cry, Acro, Fortify, AA, Coil etc.
With "armor only" you can be fine with high investment (20k+ without granite), but you still end up taking a lot of damage against hard hitters.
And that's how it has always been. Armor/Evasion are just one layer of defense among many. They do their job, but they cannot do it alone.

2. What it all really comes down to is the life pool.
Even though the life nodes were reduced a couple leagues ago, people are stacking more and more life. You cannot run around with 4k life anymore, unless you play some offscreen bow build.
It's "go big or go home", 7k+ life.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Sep 17, 2015, 3:15:13 AM
d
Last edited by Jennik on Dec 11, 2015, 10:05:26 AM
While I don't want to fan the flames, I agree there's benefit in taking a deep breath before you get insulted and start getting all sweaty or insulty. I once quoted Charan but changed the words and the reaction was... pure rage. I can't talk to that, self-professed academic or not. Rational discourse is the base of beneficial conversation.

Evasion is bad. Jennik is right. Play everything perfectly forever doesn't work. Just whirling blades past every monster that may oneshot you? You'll get off screened with 4k life, let alone 2.5k, in maps, particularly with hard mods. Beyond mods won't even oneshot you, they'll .7shot you.

As a tribute to the poor state of the game I decided to make a PoLN build for tempest (Path of Life Nodes) and ripped it purposely at 85 to check what its life would be with kaoms. 9.6k. At 90 with a legacy kaoms? 12k. It could have kept going, but frankly tempest was a graphical mess (often on top of other messes like X ground) which I didn't enjoy. 4k armour, but having tested a range I think I'd prefer 10k life and 4k armour to 7k life and 20k armour.

It's not a well designed game that encourages me to build that way. It's just a recycled design... and Act 4 mobs are so, so, so noticeable in maps, particularly with life mods. They take so much longer to kill.
d
Last edited by Jennik on Dec 11, 2015, 10:05:13 AM
d
Last edited by Jennik on Dec 11, 2015, 10:04:28 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
Evasion and Armor are both fine.

1. It doesn't really matter if you use Armor or Evasion, both are generally not strong enough without other layers like Enduring Cry, Acro, Fortify, AA, Coil etc.
With "armor only" you can be fine with high investment (20k+ without granite), but you still end up taking a lot of damage against hard hitters.
And that's how it has always been. Armor/Evasion are just one layer of defense among many. They do their job, but they cannot do it alone.

2. What it all really comes down to is the life pool.
Even though the life nodes were reduced a couple leagues ago, people are stacking more and more life. You cannot run around with 4k life anymore, unless you play some offscreen bow build.
It's "go big or go home", 7k+ life.

What this guy said. I play pure eva/acrobatics no coil/no taste of hate and lvl 78 maps feel pretty easy. I have not found higher than those but feel free to donate (in tempest). I would be thrilled to see how much more difficult 82 maps are than 78's with a pure eva char.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
"
Exialis wrote:
Spoiler
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
"
puviel wrote:
There are some misunderstandings of how evasion works in this thread.

You're not the exception
"
puviel wrote:
1. Evasion is not a chance, it is a rate. If you have 50% chance to evade you will only get hit every second time per monster.

Wrong. It's not rate:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/filter-account-type/staff/page/10#p748465
And it's not "per monster" either:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/filter-account-type/staff/page/8#p642245

Clearly a rate by the rate link.

First.
Really?
If i have 50% chance to evade - will i be hit by always and only every second time per each monster (like the guy i quoted wrote)?

Re-read the "linked" and, please, google what entropy-based system is.

Second. And seriously?
Is this thread really about "only hardcore all-mighty guys allowed to voice an opinion and no scrubcore pitiful players who bodyblocks the boss with 300 deaths"?
If so - it's wrong way to get the "professional help".
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info