Act 4: evasion sucks

d
Last edited by Jennik on Dec 11, 2015, 10:06:56 AM
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:
With a solo evasion character, you should expect to start mapping before you clear The Harvest.

That's news to me. I was under the assumption that you should be able to finish the solo campaign before hitting maps, regardless of your class/build. They even moved the maps 2 levels up to accomodate for the addition of Act 4.

I think it is obvious that maps should be done before malachai when:
- maps start droping in act 2,
- lab for mabs is in act 3,
- starting map level is lower than malachai in act 4,
- staring maps are easier than end zones in act 4.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 16, 2015, 5:39:04 AM
Honest quetion since i have not been playing for a very long time. Can't even pure evasion/acrobatics builds still use mechanics like endurance charges, fortify, arctic armour, chaos golem, lightning coil? When i was playing, these flat mitigation mechanics where considered far superior to actual armour, and armour was there just as the cherry on top. So my quetion is, can't a pure evasion build effectively stack some or even all of these options?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Poutsos wrote:
Honest quetion since i have not been playing for a very long time. Can't even pure evasion/acrobatics builds still use mechanics like endurance charges, fortify, arctic armour, chaos golem, lightning coil?

Yes, of course. Check out the level-82 Duelist in my profile, he uses a variety of defensive strategies, including LGOH and life regen, as well as the ones you mentioned. The presumption that maxing a single primary defensive strategy like evasion should provide ample protection against all foes is a quaint relic from the time of Open Beta.
d
Last edited by Jennik on Dec 11, 2015, 10:05:52 AM
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:
I didn't say anything about armor. I haven't played armor based builds in 2.0 yet (I played ES based first). Quite possible that armor has the same issues as evasion.

You said, in the title, that evasion sucks, implying somewhat that other forms of defense are superior. They are, in fact, not really. It is just that A4 Merciless deals a lot of damage and is significantly harder than the rest of the game.

Personally, I like that in the context of the fact that the endgame is maps. Malachai is a nice check for you on how good your character actually is, well, all of the second half of A4 is, even if you already leveled to lvl 90 or beyond. You could argue that that kinda sucks, or something, but with the current layout of the game I do like that. For me, it is kind of a good feeling when I have brought a character to the point where it can safely do Malachai.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
There are some misunderstandings of how evasion works in this thread.

1. Evasion is not a chance, it is a rate. If you have 50% chance to evade you will only get hit every second time per monster.

2. Evasion does mitigate damage from crits. When a monster (or you) roll a crit, there is a second calculation based on evasion that can downgrade a crit to a normal hit, ie reducing the damage.

3. Chance to being hit is based on the Evasion Rating, not the chance to evade in the character sheet. Dexterity based monsters have higher accuracy rating and so have a higher chance to hit you. The same is true for bosses.

In terms of act 4 being worse for evasion based characters might be true but it is also true, as Charan says, that they are designed in a way that you can manually move away from the damage. This, in my opinion, is a good trade off. Also, as an evasion character, and especially with dodge, you can survive if you get caught in Malachai's teleport slam by not getting hit. Every other defence is simply useless against that attack.

The chaos traps mentioned are easily mitigated with chaos resistance. And yes, it is perfectly reasonable that you change equipment for this fight. You are given the tools and it is up to you if you use them or not.
"
puviel wrote:
Also, as an evasion character, and especially with dodge, you can survive if you get caught in Malachai's teleport slam by not getting hit. Every other defence is simply useless against that attack.

That, btw, is not true. I can tank his teleport slam at 5.7k HP with enough other defenses (armour, 8 endurance charges, fortify). I am pretty sure you can tank it with a legacy Lightning Coil and Taste of Hate as well, as far as I know its physical damage. Did not really try though.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
puviel wrote:

You're not the exception
"
puviel wrote:
1. Evasion is not a chance, it is a rate. If you have 50% chance to evade you will only get hit every second time per monster.

Wrong. It's not rate:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/filter-account-type/staff/page/10#p748465
And it's not "per monster" either:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707/filter-account-type/staff/page/8#p642245
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
"
puviel wrote:

2. Evasion does mitigate damage from crits. When a monster (or you) roll a crit, there is a second calculation based on evasion that can downgrade a crit to a normal hit, ie reducing the damage.

3. Chance to being hit is based on the Evasion Rating, not the chance to evade in the character sheet. Dexterity based monsters have higher accuracy rating and so have a higher chance to hit you. The same is true for bosses.

In terms of act 4 being worse for evasion based characters might be true but it is also true, as Charan says, that they are designed in a way that you can manually move away from the damage. This, in my opinion, is a good trade off. Also, as an evasion character, and especially with dodge, you can survive if you get caught in Malachai's teleport slam by not getting hit. Every other defence is simply useless against that attack.

The chaos traps mentioned are easily mitigated with chaos resistance. And yes, it is perfectly reasonable that you change equipment for this fight. You are given the tools and it is up to you if you use them or not.

This.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info