Act 4: evasion sucks

"
Jennik wrote:
Charan, it doesn't seem like any of your posts in this thread are coming from a hardcore perspective. I don't think balance discussions related to survivability are very useful if you're not focusing on hardcore leagues. From the perspective of a character that absolutely can't die a single time, evasion is far inferior to armour.

I've played somewhere around 6 characters to maps this league. Only one was armour, one was MOM, Cloak of Flame, and Endurance Charges, and the rest were EV and Acro. They were all various flavors of casters, so they got hit by roughly the same amount of attacks.

The Evasion characters were smashed super low constantly, since they took the full strength of any hit that connected. The armour character almost never goes below 90% life, and never has close calls. This is with only a 50% armour rating and no other significant mitigation going up against same level content. The EV characters had roughly 50% EV plus 40% dodge.

The only build that actually felt safe was the armour build. The rest felt sketchy at all times, and all but one of them ended up dying to a hit that armour likely would have prevented from being lethal. A higher investment in defenses for EV based characters results in a lower chance of survival than armour would give.

Both forms of defense are garbage compared to Lightning Coil, Taste of Hate, and Fortify, but that's an entirely different problem. Evasion's simply not very good right now. Energy shield's terrible until you get to a gear level where your numbers are ridiculously high. The only one of the three major forms of defense that you can currently rely on to keep you alive somewhat consistently is armour.

You're absolutely correct, this game should indeed be balanced around hardcore. Unfortunately GGG doesn't seem to agree with all these one shot mechanics being in the game, also GGGs unfortunate history of balancing around abuse cases instead of fixing said abuse.

That doesn't really have anything to do with evasion, but it has to be said.

Also buffing monster phys damage in 2.0 might be the worst change in the history of the game.
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:
The character was reasonably twinked: lv 68, 4.5k evasion, 3k hp, 44% chance to evade, 40% chance to dodge, 30% chance to dodge spells (Phase Acrobatics), max elemental resists, no chaos resist. You cannot really expect much more by the time you get to A4M.

3K life is nowhere close to enough to handle Merciless Malachai, regardless of whether you use evasion or any other combination of damage mitigation. Level-68 is also quite low for Act 4, I tackled it solo with a level-72 Facebreaker build and died repeatedly to both Malachai and Piety. For comparison, check out the level-85 Marauder in my profile. He can facetank Merciless Malachai without getting one-shot, but he has 4.5K life, 350 life regen/sec, and 50 LGOH at 5 APS, not to mention Fortify, Arctic Armour, etc.

3k life is perfectly fine in combination with other defenses, for almost all of PoE content. The cases I highlighted are the exceptions because they attack the ground, not you, making evasion useless. Then of course you are naked other than your raw life pool. This is the problem! Evasion should not be negated like this.

And pls don't say that you are supposed to wait until you are in mid-80s and well geared before finishing the main story on Merciless. I've killed A4M Malachai without dying at lv 67 with a 2.5k life SRS summoner that was not even twinked other than max resist gear. When you delegate dps to minions and spend 95% of your time just running and dodging ground damage, it's not that bad. And I've done it on a lv 68 CI+GR+VP incinerator with 5k ES - that one had enough leech to recover with enough time to do some dps.

It's just evasion that's powerless here.

3 k life lawls. maybe for a full potato.
I played a Ranger to LVL100 in the Tempest league.

Started out as dual-wield crit Reave with a large focus on stacking evasion. Before LVL70 I started to use a Queen of the Forest to get a larger benefit from this stacking; besides the ranger start nodes and Revenge of the Hunted I was also specced into Survivalist to further improve my evasion rating.

With around 15k evasion without using Grace, I felt like a God, jade flask and you run like the thunder and nothing ever hits you. The game felt like a cakewalk.

As I continued to progress into the highest tier of maps, I started to get hit rather frequently by rare and blue mobs; combined with a low amount of life (5,3k), lvl80+ maps where extremely deadly, I could barely feel the effect of jade flasks.

At lvl92 I luckily regaled champion's on a cruel harbinger (up to 208% ipd), and immediately respecced into crit phys bow. After respeccing I kept the very same gear I used for crit DW reave except for the off-hand of course, a good quiver gave me a larger buffer of life (+300).

At lvl93 I still felt unhappy with my chance to evade, and swapped the Queen of the Forest for a Belly of the Beast. I won more than 800 life with that change and could barely notice the difference in the very highest tier of maps.

Continued like this till LVL100.

Bottom line: evasion sucks at high levels.

P.D.: armour isn't very hot right now, melee characters just get lightning coil and 7 endurance charges. As far as I am concerned the only people running armour/IR were Generosity, BM aurabot running every aura in the game, IR is very close, he had 25k just from the auras; the other was TimeCop with Bringer (no Coil) and some great armour shield.
Evasion is crap, hands down. after dying on tempest i went ahead and made a voltaxic build on warbands, even with 15k evasion you will feel very shit on high lvl maps, any hit is a close call.

If you play sc it's fine, you just run and oneshot everything and it's ok a rip here and there, but on hc you are better of with armor.
"
grubworm wrote:
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:

3k life is perfectly fine in combination with other defenses, for almost all of PoE content. The cases I highlighted are the exceptions because they attack the ground, not you, making evasion useless. Then of course you are naked other than your raw life pool. This is the problem! Evasion should not be negated like this.

And pls don't say that you are supposed to wait until you are in mid-80s and well geared before finishing the main story on Merciless. I've killed A4M Malachai without dying at lv 67 with a 2.5k life SRS summoner that was not even twinked other than max resist gear. When you delegate dps to minions and spend 95% of your time just running and dodging ground damage, it's not that bad. And I've done it on a lv 68 CI+GR+VP incinerator with 5k ES - that one had enough leech to recover with enough time to do some dps.

It's just evasion that's powerless here.

3 k life lawls. maybe for a full potato.

>2.5k life
>a4m
>not dying

these 12 endurance charges builds are really good i see
lol, classic Charan.
From playing some bow evasion dudes the last few leagues I feel evasion in high maps is actually pretty strong but I also play really defensive and go for super amounts of evasion life.

If you are leveling through act 4 of course you are going to get trucked and im sure your evasion gear is really not up to par there at any difficutly. Even armour users with no gear get some kind of wrecked going through act 4.

I feel any twink level 68 is going to have a hard time with merc end act 4. The invisible level mitigation as I call it. Just isn't going to be there. For that fight alone and with evasion characters you will mostly move faster to help get out of the ground effects. Blink arrow a lot and stuff. Not sure if you are regen or vaal pact for crit flask recharges but either way. Can't really believe even a twink should be farming malachi.

"
cavespro wrote:
From playing some bow evasion dudes the last few leagues I feel evasion in high maps is actually pretty strong but I also play really defensive and go for super amounts of evasion life...
The last few league are very different from current one. Evasion lost a lot of safety with 2.0. My PA eva/acro feels even more squishy now than in 1.3 where she didn't have the acrobatics cluster.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
"
Ymirok wrote:
I agree that evasion is extremely bad. It cannot help you at all against physical area damage. There is simply no way to alleviate this issue. Granite flasks can help but that armor will fall off later on.

I honestly think they should just reduce all physical damage of mobs in act 4. Torchoak Grove (and its saplings) is the most annoying boss in the game, in my opinion.

I agree with your points but TG is a fire threat, right? or is it a combination? That would explain a lot.

The saplings are the real problem.

I've a feeling they might deal physical damage aswell, like Kaom. I'm probably wrong though. Either way, I'm a bit salty cuz I got killed offscreen coupled with some inopportune lag. Sorry.
"
Ceryneian wrote:
Enemy damage is now way too high and leech has been nerfed. Acro remains nerfed, and now Ondar's has been nerfed.

Seriously, what is with Arrow Dancing? Does anyone take that terrible node?

"
If you are not a) playing DOT "hit-and-run", or b) have insanely high DPS - then you WILL NOT last on end-game content with EV.

What's "insanely high dps"? I have a pure evasion/dodge melee character who can comfortably clear level 78 maps (I can't seem to get any higher drops) even with "only" ~40k dps. To be fair, that character is level 95, I didn't level through 2.0 with it, it's extremely niche, it's geared very well, and the Life Gain on Hit gem, which requires a 6L for decent clear speeds and obviously doesn't work for everyone, helps a lot.

"
Meanwhile you are running around with your little EV character on 4K life, trying to survive with "hit-and-run", praying your entropy doesn't fk you over for a one-shot.

Yeah, this is no good for build diversity in HC (and racing diversity in any league), unless evasion + Acro is meant to rarely be an end unto itself.

"
You are happy with shitty EV uniques like Atziri Mirror and other crap GGG gives EV like Bronn's Lithe/Rat Cage/Queen, while the AR guys enjoy their Aegis, Lioneye's Remorse, Kaom's, Belly Beasts, and get FULL benefit from IR uniques like BofR, Daresso Defiance, and LC?

Queen is pretty good, but of course it's nowhere near as good for survivability as the other items you list. I think the Hyrri's Ire change was supposed to help evasion characters, but it's only a single item, and the funny thing is that it could work better as an IR chest!

"
Useless EV wheel on Scion that has remained crap and untouched for 3 years? While the AR guys cruise to their nice life wheel and the CI guys get their ES wheel?

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

"
Now nearing the end of 2015, still no unique jade flask? Ok. Doesn't seem to bother the EV guys - in fact they seem happy that GGG has made two unique granite flasks for AR, and nothing for EV.

Interesting, but how many builds throughout the history of PoE have actually cared about using a Jade Flask? Sure, I'd love to see a unique Jade Flask, but I'm also glad that that the great flasks aren't stuck on a Jade!
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info