[2.0] DUAL FLAME TOTEM | MF | 105IIQ/285IIR | 19K DPS | PARTY/SOLO

INTRODUCTION
This guide/build is my adaptation of AlexUngur's Dual Flame Totem build that uses Sire of Shards so props to him.
You can check it here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1353421/page/1
I am the guy who started playing my mf character with 5 exalts and who made more than 220 exalted orbs worth of currency and items with it in exactly one month without any Tier 1 drops.
My goal with this guide was to optimize the Alex's version and make the build more efficient for MFing.
It was initially designed for solo play in Standard but in the last couple days I spent a lot of time partying and trying to come up with something more suitable for cullers as well. As a result I decided to post both versions here even though the party one is not exactly optimal right now since I lack gear that suits it better. So it's here mostly for comparison purpose really. I went more in detail about both setups in the Gear section.
NOTE: I only play Standard since it's more efficient long term, so I don't know anything about ratios in other leagues. Also, I use some cheaper legacy items. You can still play the build without them, you just won't be able to get as high IIQ/IIR numbers as mine with same gear.

STAT SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler

*All screenshots were taken with no auras or flasks active

Defense
Spoiler

Solo Setup Offense
Spoiler

Solo Setup Without Item Quantity and Rarity gems (at times when you want to feel man enough)
Spoiler

Party Setup Offense
Spoiler

Solo IIQ/IIR
Spoiler

Party IIQ/IIR
Spoiler

LEVELING (SKILL TREE)
Spoiler

31 points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAuMEswelEFgRLRo4Jy8snDLROthFR0myWOVZ81orZp5yD3yDghCCm4dlkFWaO6IAo_LAZsMT37Dhc-vu7Dg=

58 points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMBAuMEswelC2EOPBBYEMwRLRRxGS4aOCW8Jy8n7Su2LJwspzLROthFR0mySsRXDVjlWfNaK2aeaPJyD3yDggeCEIKbh2WMRpBVmjuiAKPyr2zAZsMTxPbGrtIh2WHZfNtP37Dfv-DD4XPr7uw48B_yQfau-JM=

79 points
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMBAuMEBwSzBg4HpQn2C2EOPBBYEMwRLRRxGS4aOB8CJbwnLyftKo0rtiycLKcyNDLRNtg6WDrYRUdG10kbSbJKxFXGVw1XKVjlWfNaK2aeaPJxhXIPfIOCB4IQgpuD24dljEaQVZo7ogCj8qyYr2yvt7FCwGbDE8T2xq7SIdR82WHZfNq520_fsN-_4MPhc-vu7DjsVfAf8WzyQfau-JM=

110 points (current)
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMBAuMEBwSzBg4GoAelCfYLYQ48EFgQzBEtFHEZLho4HNwc5x8CJbwnLyftKo0rtiycLKcyNDLRNZI22DpYOtg8LUVHRtdJG0mySsRKyFXGVw1XKVjlWfNaK15dZIRmVGaeaGVo8moebqpxhXIPe8N8g4IHghCCm4Nfg8yD24dliq-MRo6-jxqQEZBVlG-aO6IAo_KnlKyYr2yvt7FCtfK3PsBmwxPE9sau0f3SIdR81abYvdlh2XzaudtP37Dfv-DD4XPr7uw47FXtPPAf8WzyL_JB85v2rviT-b3-Cg==

*If you lack dexterity, which is very often the case, take Expertise from tree.
*You can always refund the points used to increase resistances if you manage to get gear that gives enough of them.
*If you lack some cold or lightning resistance in your setup later on, you can pick up Lightning Walker or Cold Walker passive near the start of the tree and refund them when they are no longer needed.

BANDITS
Spoiler
Oak(+40HP) - Kill all - Kill all

GEAR
Spoiler

SOLO
Spoiler

"Clear speed is the best MF"
*With this setup we try to be as efficient as possible and sacrifice some magic find in order to achieve better clear speed, better survivability and thus overall more items found per time unit than with full mf gear which is slower and weaker.

This item really helps with the clear speed. It alone improves my dps by about 20% even though the increased fire damage roll is horrible. Healthy amount of energy shield is also welcome. Use Tabula Rasa until you get this one. I played with Tabula for quite a long time.
*Note that it doesn't have a green socket. Instead of using faster projectiles I use empower which greatly increases DPS since Faster Projectiles mostly helps with aoe and doesn't benefit the damage a lot, however without increased projectile speed our aoe is almost non-existent. To solve this problem I got these:

*These weapons add combined 69% increased projectile speed which is exactly the same as of lvl 20 Faster Projectiles gem. And you can potentially make that number significantly bigger than that of Faster Projectiles.
*These wands also have nice cast speed and decent spell damage which improve our clearspeed even further. And they are relatively cheap as well. I got the first one for 30c and the second one for 1ex. There are many similar wands as well that are cheaper.

Best shoes without a doubt for this setup. Up to 30% IIQ is amazing. However, 30% can cost quite a lot so I recommend geting 18-24% at first.

Can give us up to 24% IIQ, wheres legacy rare IIQ gloves can give maximum 20 IIQ. Sadly, other stats are useless.

Right now I am using these. Sacrificed 4% IIQ for life and armour. However this is a more expensive choice. In the beginning stick with Sadima's. They are good enough. You can also use Aurseize, but I find IIQ to be more effective especially once you start mapping.

Really good mf belt. Only some rare Golden Obi's are better for mfing but these cost mirrors.

Try to get one of these. Amazing for mfing. I suggest only having one though. With two of them it will become really hard to manage the resistances without sacrificing MF elsewhere.
For the second one use the rare one that you like.
I use
but these tend to get expensive. Even bad rolls are not exactly cheap.

For amulet I suggest using a rare amulet as well. Try to get some other useful stats as well. Like health, resistances, cast speed, etc. The more the better. I use this right now, cost me 20c or so:

With helmets the situation is pretty much the same as with amulets. Try to get some defensive stats as well as IIR. I currently use this one because of high armor, lightning res and life:

Previously I used the helmet that I found myself:

PARTY
Spoiler

The concept behind this setup is simple: we assume that there is someone else in the party who does all the damage for us and thus we focus on getting as high MF numbers as possible. Most of the gear that is listed in the Solo part is good for this purpose so here I will only list items that would benefit the party playstyle more.

First of all:

The only chest piece that has IIR and IIQ. And pretty decent numbers as well. Note that here we do use a green socket since we will be needing increased projectile speed.

For weapons get something with culling strike there are options like

or corrupted rares like

Also, instead of a second weapon you can get

which improves IIR and slightly boosts survivability.

The rest of the gear is pretty much the same as in solo version. Just aim for higher IIR/IIQ. But do not forget survivability as well. Especially if your goal is to party in high level maps.

JEWELS
Spoiler

I use 5 jewel slots. Some of them have dexterity or resistances but ideally, once you have capped resistances and gotten enough dexterity/intelligence from gear, you want to use jewels with life/cast speed/spell damage/fire damage

Also, I do not recommend Rain of Splinters until you have high enough damage (like 14000). After that the slight increase in aoe is welcome. But then again, this jewel is entirely optional.
You do want clear mind however.

GEMS AND LINKS
Spoiler

*The gems are displayed in an order of priority. Thus if you have 4L, skip the last two gems in the 6L setup.

[6L] Flame Totem Solo
Spoiler

I do not use Faster Projectiles. If you decide to use it, then you can allow yourself more freedom with wands since you won't be needing increased projectile speed from them. Your overall potential will be weaker than with no green sockets though.

Flame Totem-Faster Casting-Fire Penetration-Item Quantity-Item Rarity-Empower

[6L] Flame Totem Party
Spoiler

Here we do use faster projectiles since using a MF shield already hurts projectile speed, also obtaining a wand with increased projectile speed would be quite hard.

Flame Totem-Faster Casting-Faster Projectiles-Item Quantity-Item Rarity-Fire Penetration

[3L-4L] Flammability Curse
Spoiler

Increased Duration is completely unnecessary. I use it since it increases life cost and helps to achieve a point where I can use Divination Distillate faster. But you can use this setup in 3L or use the fourth socket for leveling a gem of your choice. Or add a second curse if you have +1 Curse somewhere in your setup.

Flammability-Increased Area of Effect-Faster Casting-Increased Duration

[3L] Lightning Warp
Spoiler

Lightning Warp is really not needed in solo setup. Flame Dash/Phase Run + Adrenaline Quicksilver flask are enough. In party setup it's helpful though if you want to keep up with others. Also, it's still pretty slow until you get all three gems as close as possible to 20/20 or higher. Use Flame Dash until then.

Lightning Warp-Faster Casting-Less Duration

[2L] Phase Run
Spoiler

I find Phase Run to be very helpful since it has many purposes. You can activate it before Adrenaline Quicksilver Flask for a short burst of really high speed. Also, it reduces your visibility a lot so it's good to use it to drop aggro from yourself or hide from mobs in narrow spaces like some boss rooms, until your totems do the job and kill them. Only 2L are needed. If you want to 3L then you can add Faster Casting or another buff like Vaal Haste which also benefits from Increased Duration.
Also, don't level Phase Run too much since at it's highest levels it requires more dexterity than we can afford. Even lvl 1 is good enough.

Phase Run-Increased Duration

[3L] Cast When Damage Taken
Spoiler

I use Frost Wall since our biggest threat is ranged monsters and putting a wall in front of them after they hit you hard is definitely amazing. On top of that we add enfeeble to increase the chances of survival even further in case they shoot piercing projectiles or somehow go around the wall.
You can add a 4th link of your choice if you want, like Increased Duration to make Frost Wall last longer, or Chaos Golem for some damage reduction but it's entirely optional.
Also, make sure that your CWDT and it's links are not of very high level. Since 3272 life on lvl 20 means we are pretty much dead anyway. Right now I use lvl 9, but you should adjust it to your own preferences and life pool.

Cast When Damage Taken-Frost Wall-Enfeeble

FLASKS
Spoiler
Not perfect, but they do the job.

*I use two Bubbling potions instead of 1, since I want to recover health quickly whenever I lose some. I like keeping my health as close to full as possible. Hallowed flasks help a lot, since they don't consume as many charges as others. You don't need armor like on my second one though. Better try to get removal of curses or freezes.
*Granite flask with armor is pretty much necessary. Use it when you accidentally run into a group of monsters or when you see ranged monsters that are capable of doing lots of physical damage or those whose projectiles travel really far. Also when you need to get closer to a ranged boss to replace your totems.
*With Quicksilver Adrenaline everything's simple. Use it + phase run to kite in fights and travel around maps.
*Use Divination Distillate when boss or tormented spirit or something else that tends to drop more loot gets low. Before that, use your Flammability on the ground (won't work if you try to cast it and your mouse is hovered on a wall or other objects) to lose some health.

LOOTFILTER
I use NeverSink's loot filter which can be found here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208

ADVICE
Spoiler

*Best way to exchange currencies to exalts is by using noticeboard. Just create a public party and in it's name specify what are you selling and for how much.
*If you don't know the ratios, just take a look for what price other players are selling the currencies and try to make it similar.
*Also, if you don't know the ratios, try and avoid selling the currencies to WTB adverts. In most cases you will gain less than what you could have by selling it yourself. I lost a lot of currency this way in the beginning. Just make a WTS post and continue farming.
*Avoid trade chat. For me it's the most time consuming and the worst place to buy or sell. You can pretty much always buy things you need for less and sell things you don't need for more by using noticeboard or poe.trade. And it's much quicker.
*If you don't know the price of an item, best way to check it is with poe.trade. If you found something and you think it might be worth something, type the stats and values that you think make it good, select "buyout only", sort the items to be listed from lowest price to highest and then compare your item to the ones listed.
*Use Procurement or other software to trade items that sit in your stash. What you want to sell depends on how many stash tabs you have. If you have a lot, you can even sell fast trash tier uniques by listing them for ~5 alterations. I don't have that many so I pretty much just sell items that are worth >2 chaos. Although in the beginning I was selling everything.
*Pick up all white agate, amber and lapis amulets that you find and store them somewhere. Vendor lapis + amber + transmutation orb to get agate amulet. You can eventually chance agates in Anarchy map to try and get Voll's devotion or sell them to others for a nice price. Some players pay 1 chaos even for just 3 agate amulets right now.
*That being said, when you level up, check the vendors if they have any spare white agate amulets and buy them. You can buy amber and lapis amulets as well.
*After finishing the campaign grind Dried Lake. There is a lot of easy monsters, many blue packs, boss (Voll) drops a lot of loot. Just don't stay close to him. Also, beware of Nightwane. His projectiles hurt. When I was grinding lake I would skip him most of the time since he is frustrating to kill and doesn't drop anything good.
*I should also mention, that most of my consistent exalt income in the beginning and later on would come from selling alterations to other players. I was picking all the rares I could find, identifying them and selling them to vendors for alterations. Hard job, but really helpful in the beginning when you lack exalts and every one of them can improve the gear significantly.
*You should also know about diminishing returns when it comes to stacking IIR and IIQ. There are few threads that go into detail about it and if you are not familiar with this term make sure to check them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2xn0xq/analysis_on_the_effectiveness_of_increased_item/
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/725812

Q&A
Spoiler

Q: Why no auras?
A: I am using blood magic thus all auras would use my life instead of mana. And I can't say that my life is really high. I prefer keeping it to myself. Also, my damage is high so getting more by using offensive auras and sacrificing life does not appeal to me at all. However, if you do not care about dying you can use them and improve clearspeed even further.

Q: Why do you play Standard scrub?
A: I find it to be more efficient in a long term. All characters become standard anyway, and by starting here I can simply farm more currency in the same amount of time than in other leagues. I'm all about efficiency with this build. Not temporary challenges.

I might upload videos later but I am playing on laptop so my recordings would either be blurry, laggy or be recorded on very low graphics. Or maybe I just don't know how to record properly.

All the feedback, constructive criticism, advice and suggestions are highly appreciated.
Last edited by Nazzaar on Sep 7, 2015, 5:58:21 AM
Last bumped on Jul 7, 2016, 7:50:10 AM
reserved
Nice Work, doing the transition betwen the previous build and this one.
THX
Last edited by SzejkM8 on Sep 6, 2015, 7:09:28 PM
"
SzejkM8 wrote:
I just noticed that doing this way, you can save one passive and get to Blood Magic earlier! It also gives access to some good armour trees (+jewel).

Actually, I noticed that you haven't included Arsonist in your tree. If you would pick it the one point won't be saved. :)
Oh, and it was my bad. Forgot to include arsonist in the tree when actually having it in my setup. Fixed now.

@IngenieroPeronista thanks man. :)

Last edited by Nazzaar on Sep 6, 2015, 8:24:26 PM
No more CWDT setup? why?
Sometimes when i get laged its seems to be a good boost...

Spoiler
I just buy Two wands for 6 Chaos(3 Each) and warp me DPS from 4k to 5k.
ITS TIME TO DRIED LAKE runs!
"
Nazzaar wrote:
"
SzejkM8 wrote:
I just noticed that doing this way, you can save one passive and get to Blood Magic earlier! It also gives access to some good armour trees (+jewel).

Actually, I noticed that you haven't included Arsonist in your tree. If you would pick it the one point won't be saved. :)
Oh, and it was my bad. Forgot to include arsonist in the tree when actually having it in my setup. Fixed now.

@IngenieroPeronista thanks man. :)

I would still choose my way. You can go for +16% armor and jewel and get some nice 3x +16% dmg. Same dmg and one spare point.
"

No more CWDT setup? why?

Honestly, I haven't used them before. At times where I did die, CWDT couldn't have helped me. I was searching for a decent setup, and probably the best would be combining CWDT with frost wall since it would block some projectiles, sadly not the piercing ones. Projectiles and long ranged spells are our biggest enemy. I will probably experiment with that one later. But the typical enduring cry + immortal call requires you to selfcast and is pretty much useless in those truly dangerous boss fights. As for lag, I don't know, I haven't been lagging much after introduction of Lockstep. Which is nice. But if you lag and it does help you in some way, sure use it.

"
SzejkM8 wrote:

I would still choose my way. You can go for +16% armor and jewel and get some nice 3x +16% dmg. Same dmg and one spare point.

There is one big advantage in taking Arsonist. It's free. Getting 3x 16% damage jewels is going to cost quite a bit... If you manage to find such at all. Plus we have 5 other jewel slots that you can work on improving.
Also 1% regen is also helpful since we are using bloodmagic.
But if you are willing to spend currency and try to achieve high numbers, sure you can go that way. It definitely has potential. And because our build does have high damage already, you wouldn't be missing that damage from Arsonist that much anyway until you get a decent jewel.

One more thing. 5% cast speed > 16% damage. So if you manage to get jewels that add 2x 5% cast speed, your dps is going to be better than with 2x damage.
Last edited by Nazzaar on Sep 7, 2015, 4:15:32 AM
Is 9% cast speed really better than 30% spell damage? More crits, more burn so higher dmg but still...
"
SzejkM8 wrote:
Is 9% cast speed really better than 30% spell damage? More crits, more burn so higher dmg but still...

Yes. Spell damage is better early in the game but later on cast speed outshines spell damage. The difference is not huge though. Just try it later. On jewels there are three ways of getting it:

* increased cast speed (max 4%)
* increased cast speed with fire skills (max 5%)
* increased cast speed while dual wielding (max 5%)

But in the beginning stick with spell damage.
Last edited by Nazzaar on Sep 7, 2015, 5:11:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info