My Problem with the community as a Theorycrafter/Guide maker

I stand corrected. It was indeed MONSTamunch that created the fun forum. I was reading some of Moonyu's online story and had his name on my pea-brain I guess.

Anyway point being wraeclast.net with almost zero rules is more inviting than reddit .... Probably because if someone's being an ass you can call them out on it, self policing like the old days still works
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
"
Serleth wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
Seriously, you should be happy your build didn't become massively popular, the daily spam of amazingly stupid questions is overwhelming :D

I think part of any (even moderately successful) guide is repetitive (not necessarily stupid) questions. Remember, a lot of players especially after a big patch like 2.0 are new to the game. I've been playing since O.B., so for me it seems like it's common knowledge that Added Chaos Damage won't support the PA cloud unless it's a quality gem, and at that it's inefficient. As an example.

But I remember when I had that exact same question myself, too. It seems a bit ridiculous until I remember that I was also once a rub-a-dub-Scrub. So I'm happy to answer those questions as many times as necessary to help people become better players.

Oh, this is a valid question. When I mean stupid, I mean stupid. For example, having 4 fucking leveling stages in your guide and people asking you what to do between the 25 point build and the 40 point build. Or "what if I use a good rare helm with accuracy instead of rat's nest, will the build work?! (you'll have more life/resists/accuracy and less attack speed / crit chance, whatever could that mean...) I could go on.

Anyway, you're apparently a better person than me and I salute you. My patience quickly wears thin.

Also, I never asked idiotic questions, even on day one. I realized I knew and understood little, so I kept my mouth shut and read/googled a lot. Nine out of ten questions one could have about the game can be answered by google with a bit of research. But that requires some effort and usage of the brain tissue. Much easier to ask the guy with the guide.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 3, 2015, 2:27:24 PM
"
kolyaboo wrote:

By labeling it a guide he claims he is an expert?!?!?

How does that follow? A guide is just that, a guide, he didn't label it a textbook.

It's even in the word.

A guide is written by a guide for people who need guidance.
He is the guide because he has some deeper understanding and/or ideas that the guided may find interesting enough to follow his guide.

Of course everybody can open a thread and call it a "guide".
And a big percentage of the "guides" in most video games are just show-offs that don't help anybody without the exact same items, include no useful information, maybe even false information. But those are not guides.

OPs "guides"/builds are just not too great. They advertize stuff that doesn't work out too great, while still using quite expensive items (like 6L belly/marohi). One could make similar, but better working builds (more damage, more survivability) at a much lower cost.
That's what people are constantly pointing out to him.

But that doesn't fit into his mindset. He has written that he wants to be seen as a "Leader", popular as someone who helped the community, he wants to be looked up to...

Proper titles for his threads would be "why does my build not work out?". But then it's a role reversal, he's the one needing help, not the one receiving praise.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:

But that doesn't fit into his mindset. He has written that he wants to be seen as a "Leader", popular as someone who helped the community, he wants to be looked up to...

Proper titles for his threads would be "why does my build not work out?". But then it's a role reversal, he's the one needing help, not the one receiving praise.

I swear, if we lived in the same place, I would look for you, I would find you...

and I would buy you a beer.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Q Q
Message me in game @SleepyHarvester
You should learn to take criticism better. It's important that you learn from your mistakes.

You should give -zero- fucks about what random internet people think about you on a personal level, but if they offer you advice that you can use to improve yourself - then improve yourself! If they were mean about it, who cares? The only person that *will* care is YOU. So if you don't care, then NOBODY cares! So ignore non constructive criticism, but don't be so sensitive that you can't learn from criticism even if it's written nastily. That's advice you can use your entire life, in anything you do.

-Nas
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
I feel ya bruh, but you have been on the internet for a long time and I thought u developed a thick skin by now. Da Interwebz is a cruel place and not forgiving. I know ur passionate about being a great build maker, but you shouldn't let harsh criticism get to you that hard.

And Reddit is one of the most toxic and negative sites on tha webz and POE sub-reddit is ranked among the worst.

Stay cool dawg.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:

By labeling it a guide he claims he is an expert?!?!?

How does that follow? A guide is just that, a guide, he didn't label it a textbook.

It's even in the word.

A guide is written by a guide for people who need guidance.
He is the guide because he has some deeper understanding and/or ideas that the guided may find interesting enough to follow his guide.

Of course everybody can open a thread and call it a "guide".
And a big percentage of the "guides" in most video games are just show-offs that don't help anybody without the exact same items, include no useful information, maybe even false information. But those are not guides.

OPs "guides"/builds are just not too great. They advertize stuff that doesn't work out too great, while still using quite expensive items (like 6L belly/marohi). One could make similar, but better working builds (more damage, more survivability) at a much lower cost.
That's what people are constantly pointing out to him.

Totally agree. I'd buy the other round. The OP clearly can't handle criticism. An old post of his complaining about the same issue back in Feb necro'ed, so I took a look at his guide. It was terrible, I'm sorry for being rude. Opening with "you will die a lot with this build and this is not high end viable." The guide itself had no math behind it, no synergy with the chosen skills and seemed more of a duct tape gem spree than a working character build from someone with deep understanding of the game. Moreover, OP has received legitimate feedback but whenever confronted, chose to take it personally rather than follow up on what he did wrong and more importantly how to better his guide.

As a relative newcomer to this game, I find poor guides a diservice to the community. For one, they mislead new players into a false start. They'll spend their time building a lackluster hero that will have trouble making it past Cruel, when they could be clearing 75 maps witt the exact same time invested. They also add a lot of noise that drown out the good builds, put together by quality members who take time with their write-ups and calculations.

It seems the OP is more interested in acquiring fame than legitimately helping. If he did want to help, he'd research his builds, better understand the mechanics and put serious effort into his write-ups, rather than a few "% phys is what the gem uses so its good" blurbs with a tree and some gem links. I really don't think Reddit dug into him that deep if you look at how many problems his guides actually have, from misinformation to generally missing information (again I'm not trying to offend OP, just criticizing the guides themselves).
Deliver pain exquisite
Criticism of your builds are not personal attacks, do not take it as such

Last edited by BrotherCool on Sep 3, 2015, 4:01:47 PM
Every time I peek here OP is more and more baddie :)
Burn all the orbs!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info