My Problem with the community as a Theorycrafter/Guide maker

At least i got 3 drinks out of this thread. ;)

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
since you are a guide maker, and theorycrafter, and you spend your valuable time going on twitch to teach people things about path of exile that they don't know, can you please show your characters in your profile?
Last edited by 1235 on Sep 5, 2015, 8:28:48 AM
"
1235 wrote:
since you are a guide maker, and theorycrafter, and you spend your valuable time going on twitch to teach people things about path of exile that they don't know, can you please show your characters in your profile?

I can show my characters, but for what reason?
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
so people can see them
"
1235 wrote:
so people can see them

why would people want to see my characters when every build character, i put every gear in the guide? :P
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
it's more convenient, when you talk about being a theorycrafter on the forum and making guides with only 1 click someone can see what you are talking about, like i read your post and was curious to see your characters but alas, you're not showing them

so if you actually took the time to write guides on each and every one of them and link all their items you can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to enable people to see everything in a much faster and more convenient way?
"
"
lorem331 wrote:
For those of you debating about elitism, and whether it is right to criticise the OP's poor build guides, let's look at an analogy.

Imagine you have a kid that is passionate about a sport (baseball/tennis/insert your favourite competitive sport here). He works hard at it, joins a competition, and loses fair and square to a superior opponent.

When he comes crying to you, you can either -
a. Tell him that he's a champ, and he deserves a medal even though he has lost, because he has put in so much effort.. then pester the organisers to award him a "participation medal".

or

b. Tell him honestly that his opponent is better, and deserves to win. There are no medals for losers. If he wants a medal, he has to practise harder, learn from his mistakes, and eventually get better. This is how the world works.

b is probably what most people are saying to me, and i totally agree, im not saying im the best builder in the world, i still have a shitload to learn before i actually make builds that capture the attention of a wider audience. I totally am learning from my mistakes, but there is honestly so much that one can take before he/she is like "yeah, this isnt going anywhere, no matter how hard i try, no one's going to like it"

And thats how i typically felt this week, which lead to the creation of this thread.

I'm not asking anyone to be all "a" about it, im not trying to impress anyone, im just trying to contribute to the community, try to bring something new to the table. I'm trying to continue my legacy on from my Runescape days, i want people to come to me for help, that's all, i want my builds to be a way to show that i know stuff, that i am more then capable of helping others who may be struggling with this game, because this game is amazing, and i want others to realise that before quitting because its too difficult, and their characters cant get past a2c for example (pretty common on the steam forums actually :P)

Not to dissappoint you but runescape had little to no strategy when it came to leveling many of the skills. You needed more strategy for some of the mini-games than anything . I should know, I played that game for 8 years
Last edited by andreicde on Sep 5, 2015, 9:09:08 AM
so you're intentionally not showing your characters, i thought that maybe you forgot to since the default is them being hidden (i think, not sure, mine were hidden and i didn't know

{i am a theorycrafter, guide maker, wrote guides and linked items, i go on twitch to TEACH people things about poe} + {characters not shown in profile} = gg
Last edited by 1235 on Sep 5, 2015, 9:10:53 AM
"
1235 wrote:
so you're intentionally not showing your characters, i thought that maybe you forgot to since the default is them being hidden (i think, not sure, mine were hidden and i didn't know

{i am a theorycrafter, guide maker, wrote guides and linked items, i go on twitch to TEACH people things about poe} + {characters not shown in profile} = gg

I have a pretty good guess at why he's not showing his characters.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
"
1235 wrote:

I have a pretty good guess at why he's not showing his characters.

why?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info