My Problem with the community as a Theorycrafter/Guide maker

Not to break anyones balls, but, OP here

This thread kinda went on a steep downhill slope over the past 2 days, and im trying to figure out what went wrong :/

I mean, ive read every single comment, some were nice, others were kind of seemed like personal attacks (see above this comment)

I believe i have done nothing to deserve any sort of negative comment, sure, my builds suck shit for some people, but im not catering for everyone.

The forums isnt only for elitists (yes, there is a fair amount of elitism in this forum, especially in this thread), its for anyone who plays this game, and i cater for those who are either casual, or want to pass time by trying out random builds

I'm not catering for those who want BiS OP OP Atziri rape builds, no, fuck that, im having more then enough fun making builds for those who actually want to try different things.

GGG stated a while ago that there is still a shitload (not their words ofc) amount of builds to be "discovered", im just doing my part as a theorycrafter to "discover" those builds, whether they are terribly shit, or gamebreakingly OP

Don't try to bring someone down whose contributing to the community, it will not only make you look bad, but it will also make you look like an elitist...

Thank you for the nice comments to those who did say nice things, and... well, i don't want to say thank you to those who kinda put me down for contributing, so, i won't.

Have a nice weekend.

Edit: The guy above me (not current, the guy who removed his message) has well, removed his message.
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
Last edited by Slayer_Tip on Sep 5, 2015, 12:08:30 AM
For those of you debating about elitism, and whether it is right to criticise the OP's poor build guides, let's look at an analogy.

Imagine you have a kid that is passionate about a sport (baseball/tennis/insert your favourite competitive sport here). He works hard at it, joins a competition, and loses fair and square to a superior opponent.

When he comes crying to you, you can either -
a. Tell him that he's a champ, and he deserves a medal even though he has lost, because he has put in so much effort.. then pester the organisers to award him a "participation medal".

or

b. Tell him honestly that his opponent is better, and deserves to win. There are no medals for losers. If he wants a medal, he has to practise harder, learn from his mistakes, and eventually get better. This is how the world works.
"
lorem331 wrote:
For those of you debating about elitism, and whether it is right to criticise the OP's poor build guides, let's look at an analogy.

Imagine you have a kid that is passionate about a sport (baseball/tennis/insert your favourite competitive sport here). He works hard at it, joins a competition, and loses fair and square to a superior opponent.

a. Tell him that he's a champ, and he deserves a medal even though he has lost, because he has put in so much effort.. then pester the organisers to award him a "participation medal".

or

b. Tell him honestly that his opponent is better, and deserves to win. There are no medals for losers. If he wants a medal, he has to practise harder, learn from his mistakes, and eventually get better. This is how the world works.

b is probably what most people are saying to me, and i totally agree, im not saying im the best builder in the world, i still have a shitload to learn before i actually make builds that capture the attention of a wider audience. I totally am learning from my mistakes, but there is honestly so much that one can take before he/she is like "yeah, this isnt going anywhere, no matter how hard i try, no one's going to like it"

And thats how i typically felt this week, which lead to the creation of this thread.

I'm not asking anyone to be all "a" about it, im not trying to impress anyone, im just trying to contribute to the community, try to bring something new to the table. I'm trying to continue my legacy on from my Runescape days, i want people to come to me for help, that's all, i want my builds to be a way to show that i know stuff, that i am more then capable of helping others who may be struggling with this game, because this game is amazing, and i want others to realise that before quitting because its too difficult, and their characters cant get past a2c for example (pretty common on the steam forums actually :P)

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
Man, the youth of today have a cockeyed perspective on things.

Listen here, analogy expert. When a child is learning things and hits a bump, you don't tell them it's because they suck. You find the positive things that happened in the encounter and go forward building off of those things.

You guys need to get out more.

"

Listen here, analogy expert. When a child is learning things and hits a bump, you don't tell them it's because they suck. You find the positive things that happened in the encounter and go forward building off of those things.

I go out too much O.o, ever since i left the ADF (Australian Defence Force) ive been going to these medical clinics to sort out my sciatica which i got from my last deployment...

i have too much time ;)

"
"

I go out too much O.o, ever since i left the ADF (Australian Defence Force) ive been going to these medical clinics to sort out my sciatica which i got from my last deployment...

i have too much time ;)

Well, that one wasn't aimed at you anyway. :D

I know what a pain those types of pains can be. Hope they can find a way to fix you up, sir!
"
Too many false dichotomies lately.

Must be nice thinking life is a matter of only two options all the time.

Well, its either that or not thinking life is a matter of only two options all the time.

So, you know.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
It's a futile battle. But I shall not surrender! Good MUST overcome evil!
"
coatofarms wrote:
I'll explain why this image is at the top of this post, just give me some time.
"
lorem331 wrote:

or

I'd tell him "b," obviously.

Once. (Okay, maybe twice.)

The reason this thread is so long is simple enough. No, it's not elitism, or schadenfreude, and although it might be bullying it's not really the conscious, malicious-intent kind.

Nope. Two simple things:

1. People who take a glace at the guides in question can easily spot what is wrong, prompting masses of people who otherwise would never post criticism of others, due to a lack of expertise on their part to properly defend their arguments, nevertheless feel supremely confident in chiming in.

2. Despite their ability to glance at the guides, these folks cannot be bothered to read the actual thread and see how utterly redundant their criticism is.

And you know what? I do not like it when people fuck up threads because they cannot be bothered to read them.

Unfortunately, they won't read this. I think the best reply to this thread so far was the one right under my earlier reply, and repeated at the beginning of this post. At least that has a chance of catching some of the tl;dr crowd when it's the most recent reply, since it's an image at the top of the "Thread Review" when trying to submit a new reply. (Please requote the image if you agree.)

To the OP: I hope you understand this post and absorb its meaning properly. I do feel you've been treated horribly in this thread, but that isn't to say that you're a master of the build guide yet. Maybe, with practice, someday. But probably not. Just try to have fun playing the game and having fun with any friends you make online.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 5, 2015, 1:20:16 AM
"
It's a futile battle. But I shall not surrender! Good MUST overcome evil!

Good and evil are illusions, exile :) And nothing must do anything. What will happen, will.

@Scrotie: although you are technically correct, as you tend to be, it must be said that this thread's persistence in pointing out OP's faults is matched by OP's talent for ignoring reality.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 5, 2015, 4:13:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info