My Problem with the community as a Theorycrafter/Guide maker

It's comforting to know that elitism marches on.

How a bout you guys buzz off and stop kicking a fella when he's down? [Removed by Support]
Well said Grant!
Censored.
The OP seems like a nice guy with good intentions, and wants to share his theory-crafting ideas with the community.
However, from reading his build guides, it is clear that he does not have a good understanding of the game mechanics; and he gets easily upset when people give him negative feedback.

To the OP, my suggestion to you is to take heed of the criticisms and try to improve your game knowledge. You should stop writing build guides, and instead, read the guides written by the more knowledgeable people in the community. Ask questions, learn from them, and hopefully, get better over time.

An example of a good build guide (by Crackmonster, I'm not saying this is the best, but it is a good guide) for cyclone is here
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158946/page/1

Please read and compare it to the cyclone guide that you wrote, and understand why yours lacks synergy and does not have a well-optimised passive tree.
Last edited by lorem331 on Sep 4, 2015, 12:40:15 PM
"
One of the useless thread i had to read in 2 years in this game. OP doesn't even know 50% of the game and wanna tell us he is a theorycrafter. Yes Reedit community is trash and rude, but when u don't post good builds, u don't get good feedbacks, all randoms on reedit or whatever are not rude for free, thats just not true, Stop constantly remain in denial about yourself OP.

The thing is how such things are said. Being a theorycraft just means that you think about game-mechanics and try to create characters yourself. I often do this very similar, although I pick up ideas from time to time or find a really nice build I simply have to try out. But I would never tell a someone who made a guide that he sucks, I would ask him if he considered this passivs or using this item or if he could give some more insight about this and if someone is upset about this, I could understand that complains about this are very odd, but if these are not the responses he is getting I agree with the OP. And well if you want to make a build taking Shiversting to endgame it isn't a really reasonable suggestion to replace Shiversting even if that would likely result in a better builds, but there aren't only builds made for efficiency there are also builds made to show what is actually possible and to encourage people to get the most out of their items.

Simply by thinking about it and making his own builds he is by definition a theorycrafter. The biggest hint I would give him is not using expensive items. I wouldn't call something using gear worth several hundred exalts a build... it is likely that you could just click random nodes on the skilltree and still succeed with this amount of money. This of course doesn't account for builds that are only working with expensive uniques like Mjölnir, but a build is good if you can make a budget version and still succeed.

And the thing about making a build is, that making it is one thing, from my oppinion good presentation is even more work than thinking about it.
Last edited by Emphasy on Sep 4, 2015, 1:09:53 PM
"

How a bout you guys buzz off and stop kicking a fella when he's down? [Removed by Support]

Grant, that's not elitism, that's common fucking sense.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
(breaking news)

Meanwhile OP made a guide in "Scion" subforum and reived pretty positive feedback.

This shit is like tv drama, only better
Burn all the orbs!
Probably received positive feedback from some of the same ones here breaking his balls! LOL
Censored.
"
Bars wrote:
"

Wrong. It IS elitism.
"
"
Bars wrote:
"

Wrong. It IS elitism.

Incorrect. It's people with superior knowledge of the game's mechanics pointing out flaws in a guide so noobies don't have to figure out they have been misled by some faulty math, sir.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Sep 4, 2015, 3:34:24 PM
"
"
Bars wrote:
"

Wrong. It IS elitism.

If you want to see what is REALLY elitism grant, read https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1415622 where a couple of wannabe l33t hardcores (they don't even have half of the challenges completed) imply that it is the end of the world due to the unique drop change.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info