I am lucky, therefore game is fine

It is needlessly and wantonly complicated and gating content, just because.

If it was health+armour, or health+dodge, or armour+evasion, or block+endurance charges, or armour+ "a" curse, etc it would make the game much better and encourage build diversity.

As it is you require health, dodge, block(spell and attack) evasion, 10 endurance charges, fortify, 3+ curses, half a dozen auras and a pineapple in a pear tree. It is so ridiculous.

...and then there's getting into Maps. ;-)
Ascension tied to Lab is the worst thing GGG has done...apart from GGG's philosophy on Trading. Oh and Gambling Loot boxes. And selling out to tencent.

I used to love GGG. I supported to ensure GGG remained independent, now I just wish I could get my money back. -_-
"
Vaux wrote:

What a PRIME example of people that complain about this game. Are you KIDDING ME? Newsflash: HEALTH IS NOT MITIGATION. AND YES, YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE MULTIPLE LAYERS OF MITIGATION TO CLEAR THE HARDEST CONTENT IN THE GAME (NOW I'M TALKING IN CAPS BECAUSE MY MIND IS FKN BLOWN AT THIS POINT).

I mean holy shit. I got a lotta health bruh, that should be fine! I just want to run around and kill shit! Go play Diablo 3 for God's sake, there's no room for stupidity of this level in this game. In this world, hell.

"
Chameleon wrote:
It is needlessly and wantonly complicated and gating content, just because.

If it was health+armour, or health+dodge, or armour+evasion, or block+endurance charges, or armour+ "a" curse, etc it would make the game much better and encourage build diversity.

As it is you require health, dodge, block(spell and attack) evasion, 10 endurance charges, fortify, 3+ curses, half a dozen auras and a pineapple in a pear tree. It is so ridiculous.

...and then there's getting into Maps. ;-)

Gated content is a GOOD thing. 100%. Without gated content there is nothing to work towards and a game dies within 6 months of launch. The harder, higher up the gate, the BETTER.

This is not true at all...

High health + armor with endurance charges with proper flask management (+ fortify but that isn't even considered a true defensive tool as it has offensive uses) can do fine with smart play. And with this level of mitigation you can run 100% offensive auras.

More complexity = more build diversity, not the other way around. And are you really complaining about that in this game? PoE has more build diversity than any ARPG...ever.
IGN Nellz
Last edited by Vaux on Aug 21, 2015, 9:01:09 PM
"
Vaux wrote:

More complexity = more build diversity, not the other way around. And are you really complaining about that in this game? PoE has more build diversity than any ARPG...ever.

agree.
that, and the multitude of mechanics and synergies between them, are the main reasons why I love the game.

but gated content, needs to be gated by difficulty and character progression - not layers upon layers (upon layers) of RNG.
like I said earlier, RNG is a means to an end, not the answer to life, the universe and everything. that's the main difference between PoE and other ARPGs: shoving RNG into every single damned place it wasn't shoved into yet. drives me nuts, more than anything really.

though we are taking the thread way off topic, so I need to make the connection here:
when someone (not necessarily me) complains about RNG screwing him, it is not necessarily because he's "bad at the game", and "game is fine".
and when someone complains about anything else, well maybe there's a real problem in what he's complaining about?

but you know what? I'm not asking you to show any sympathy because you clearly have none.
and I'm not asking you to view the game on a broader angle than your own personal (clearly positive) experience, because you obviously can't even if you wanted to.
I'm asking you to - at the very least - not pour salt in the wound.
and if you can do that, the next step is to actually respect the fact, other people play the game differently than you do.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Aug 22, 2015, 1:10:00 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:

but gated content, needs to be gated by difficulty and character progression - not layers upon layers (upon layers) of RNG.

I've yet to see an idea how to implement this.

If it comes down to zana selling lvl 78-82 maps for 1 chaos each, that's not how it works.
Nobody would need to roll them for difficult mods anymore, and a blue/white 78 map is about as "difficult" for a well-equipped lvl 88+ char as a tropical island is to some random lvl 80 char.

Meaning, it would boil down to: free access to xp.
...which would be a horrible thing. Lvl 100 within a week for everyone.
No more carrot on the stick.

If you want "difficulty", you may have it. Build outside cookiecutter territory, but roll the same maps. Run a Twohanded Axe Shadow with CI and see how far you make it.

But it doesn't look like people really want "difficulty". They want free xp.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Vaux wrote:

You obviously missed my point. Having 10 game mechanics and requiring 9 on a character all at the same time results in far less build diversity than a game where you only need 2 of the 10 game mechanics on a character at any one time.

You cant see it but the game really does stifle and severely punishes diversity. Imagine the increased builds available if the game didnt require you to have 9 forms of mitigation on at all times but only 2. I'm not good at math but the complexity of interaction is much more for the combinations of 2-10 than 9-10.
Ascension tied to Lab is the worst thing GGG has done...apart from GGG's philosophy on Trading. Oh and Gambling Loot boxes. And selling out to tencent.

I used to love GGG. I supported to ensure GGG remained independent, now I just wish I could get my money back. -_-
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
Vaux wrote:

You obviously missed my point. Having 10 game mechanics and requiring 9 on a character all at the same time results in far less build diversity than a game where you only need 2 of the 10 game mechanics on a character at any one time.

You cant see it but the game really does stifle and severely punishes diversity. Imagine the increased builds available if the game didnt require you to have 9 forms of mitigation on at all times but only 2. I'm not good at math but the complexity of interaction is much more for the combinations of 2-10 than 9-10.

In a game where you have 10 defense game mechanics and can potentially have all 10 defense game mechanics but you only "need 2" would make the game ultra easy.

That's like saying if you could have between 1 and 100k dps, everything being easily cleared with 20k dps would increase build diversity when every build can hit 100k dps.

The word diversity in PoE is a double edge sword because you can do everything without restriction, so there's nothing stopping you from literally having everything. People need to understand that true diversity has this critical flaw since the game doesn't force you into archetypes or paths.

This is apparent in stuff like the old low-life shav build when you could have massive ES pool + overcap resist + every offensive/defensive single aura doing every single type of elemental damage while critting a billion damage and using every single type of damage multiplier with massive leech/blocking/dodging among other things.

All of the changes they did to prevent this (nerfs to leech, bloodrage, ton of other stuff to stop low life) had people also claim build diversity has went down.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Aug 22, 2015, 3:31:03 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
Vaux wrote:

agree.
that, and the multitude of mechanics and synergies between them, are the main reasons why I love the game.

like I said earlier, RNG is a means to an end, not the answer to life, the universe and everything. that's the main difference between PoE and other ARPGs: shoving RNG into every single damned place it wasn't shoved into yet. drives me nuts, more than anything really.

though we are taking the thread way off topic, so I need to make the connection here:
when someone (not necessarily me) complains about RNG screwing him, it is not necessarily because he's "bad at the game", and "game is fine".
and when someone complains about anything else, well maybe there's a real problem in what he's complaining about?

but you know what? I'm not asking you to show any sympathy because you clearly have none.
and I'm not asking you to view the game on a broader angle than your own personal (clearly positive) experience, because you obviously can't even if you wanted to.
I'm asking you to - at the very least - not pour salt in the wound.
and if you can do that, the next step is to actually respect the fact, other people play the game differently than you do.

You know, there is a way around RNG: trading. You may choose not to use it, but then your point is about as valid as a melee player complaining about one shots while not using layered defense. It almost always comes down to the same point: if you do not use all the tools that are given to you, then your gaming experience will not be optimal.
I don't want my experience to be "optimal", Faendris.
I want it to be fun.

and if I play differently than you do - e.g. only trade when I really have to, instead of sitting in XYZ all day with constantly-updating spreadsheets of the current rate of Exalts, to gain "wealth" - that doesn't mean I'm "not using all the tools at my disposal".
it means I play the way I want to play.
and yes I have the right to complain about stuff I don't like in the game's current design and implementation, just like everyone else does, and make a valid point.

once you start to think in terms of who has the "right" to provide feedback and who doesn't, you will troll and harass people for thinking differently than you.
talk down to them.
tell them their point is invalid because they are not you.
so don't.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Aug 22, 2015, 5:04:10 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
I don't want my experience to be "optimal", Faendris.
I want it to be fun.

and if I play differently than you do - e.g. only trade when I really have to, instead of sitting in XYZ all day with constantly-updating spreadsheets of the current rate of Exalts, to gain "wealth" - that doesn't mean I'm "not using all the tools at my disposal".
it means I play the way I want to play.
and yes I have the right to complain about stuff I don't like in the game's current design and implementation, just like everyone else does, and make a valid point.

once you start to think in terms of who has the "right" to provide feedback and who doesn't, you will troll and harass people for thinking differently than you.
talk down to them.
tell them their point is invalid because they are not you.
so don't.

Of course you have all the right in the world to provide feedback. And I have the same rights to provide feedback on your feedback. In particular it is totally fine for me to point out that RNG is only a problem for you because you refuse to trade (even though the developers clearly state that trade is an important part of the game). It is also OK if I point out that your statement that you need to invest a lot of time in order to trade is plain wrong. You just need to put up a shop with buyout prices and then trade when someone wants to buy something from you. There are even tools which automate the first part.

Now, of course you are free to provide feedback on my feedback on your feedback. That is how a discussion works.
Last edited by Faendris on Aug 22, 2015, 6:05:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info