[2.2] A Storm of Ice and Fire - Avatar of Fire CI Whispering Ice - Uber Viable!

"
Asag wrote:
Is this card common? I never got 1 on any character.

It's common enough. Aqueduct is a straightforward zone, just run through it and kill everything in your way. The best way to do it is if you have a bow ranger, something like Split Arrow or Lightning Arrow+chain: just run a straight line and shoot arrows forward. It doesn't have to be well geared, it's a lv 64 zone. Or whatever other AoE trash clear build that you run Dried Lake with. Can do dozens of runs per hour.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 16, 2016, 3:41:23 PM
I know where it drop, I did this zone many times on TS/Punc ranger, ed/contagion witch, even on mf EK character. Did not get even single card from my runs before.

Thats why Im asking because to me its seems not efficient to farm.
Last edited by Asag on Mar 16, 2016, 4:07:09 PM
"
dulahan200 wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to incorporate your experience with the build to my character. Hope you don't get scared with so many questions :/

1- I'm playing as low life because I have a good shav, but no good es armour.
Instead of getting resistances in tree, I get aura nodes (4 purities = 103 all res, 6 max res). The empowered discipline almost makes up the es difference from armor. And instead of extra es thanks to CI, low life gets pain attunement and one herald.

I don't know what comes out on top after some maths. But more max res, more dmg and some party support in exchange for less es seems an interesting alternative.

2-If I don't have res issues, going south of scion side doesn't worth it, right? I would save purity of elements, but other auras aren't that useful in this build, tooltip barely changes with dmg ones.

At the same topic, no luck with skyforth yet, and I'm wondering if I should get to unwavering stance or not. Not sure if perma-stun is an issue with the block that rumi's give.
For now, the purpose of the char is being able to solo zana dailies (my main char is a support).

3- I don't understand the skill duration nodes, are they really needed?
For general mapping things die/move before the duration is over, so it's only for bosses. And if bosses stay in the ice field, they are going down pretty fast anyway. More intelligence seems to be better, but I have a very small practical experience compared to you, so I can be wrong.

4- Do you know how increased/reduced area of effect works? Having higher aoe can result in lower single target damage (due to projectiles spreading out and not hitting same target)? Or the projectiles also get bigger? I ask so because I'm running with inc. aoe as a 6th gem to have a higher clear speed, and it might be a huge mistake.

5-I'm wearing Black Sun Crest + legacy perandus, but I can't bear the reduced light radius indoors. I guess there isn't any decent source of light radius, right?
Maybe I swap to a rare helmet, it just that loosing so much int makes me sad :(

6- How is mana? Do you generate more than you use, or you have to walk after several casts?

1 - Aura nodes are potentially useful, but as always compete with intelligence, costing you damage.

2 - These nodes are on the way to unyielding stance, so are almost free in a sense. If you have no res issues and have skyforth, then you can indeed skip the entire bottom portion of the tree.

3 - Skill duration is useful primarily for bosses, but also benefits Vaal Auras, Rallying Cry, and Immortal Call. Skipping these can be worth if you're not interested in these benefits.

4 - Increased area of effect increases the size of the individual ice projectile and the size of the area that they fall in. This results in similar coverage over a larger area. This is bad for single target damage, but works well for large groups.

Here's a visualization courtesy of PewPewPew's firestorm build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817

"
Pewpewpew wrote:
The red circle is the total AoE of the Firestorm
The orange circles are the individual bolts
Blue dots are the enemies

As you can see here, the bigger the individual dots become, the bigger the space between the dots become as well. And since the ratio between the bolts and the firestorm AoE remains the same, a bigger AoE means that they will hit a single target less often. That doesn't mean we need to aim for a small firestorm. While it is true it will increase our damage output against single targets, higher Area of effect will cover a bigger area(Yeah. Really.) and will be much more effective in dealing with certain situations(big packs, enemies that move a lot).

5 - No real way to counter the light radius loss aside from the Light of Divinity node that this build takes. With Shavs I would recommend a rare helmet anyway as you are really going to need the base ES.

6 - Mana is rough at lower levels with this build - you will likely want to run some level of clarity. Mana leech from Warlords Mark is really useful fortunately, and as long as you are able to leech you will have more mana than you need. If casting against something that you cannot leech from, you will typically run out after 5-10s of continuous casting.

If I need to run a no leech + no regen map, I swap in a mana flask and everything is good.
[Build Guide] - Whispering Ice CI Avatar of Fire
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1386145
"
Asag wrote:
I know where it drop, I did this zone many times on TS/Punc ranger, ed/contagion witch, even on mf EK character. Did not get even single card from my runs before.

Thats why Im asking because to me its seems not efficient to farm.

I just ran through it 5 times and got 2 Humility's. Could be just luck, but I've seen it drop often enough before.

Btw, IIR doesn't help finding cards, only IIQ does. My farm char in Standard has Item Quantity, it helps. But it was dropping often even before I got it. My league char found one on her way into A4.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 16, 2016, 5:56:02 PM
A quick question, why dont you get shavronnes wrappings, get rid of those chaos inoculation skills and go for +1 curse (flammability on blood magic for 40% more damage) and pain attunement (another 30% more DMG) instead?
"
Anup wrote:
A quick question, why dont you get shavronnes wrappings, get rid of those chaos inoculation skills and go for +1 curse (flammability on blood magic for 40% more damage) and pain attunement (another 30% more DMG) instead?

This would cut my ES nearly in half. Its quite astonishing how much of a downgrade Shavs is, really.
[Build Guide] - Whispering Ice CI Avatar of Fire
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1386145
What do guys think about maybe sacrificing some es or a few damage nodes so that u can spec into double curse and use Asenath's Gentle Touch? It wouldn't be so great against like white mobs since the curse will be applied the moment they get hit by icestorm but by the time they'll be dead, but i could imagine against bosses, tanky rares or even the new perandus mobs it might be a good contribution to survivability.
What do u think?
Last edited by fisch666 on Mar 17, 2016, 7:10:36 AM
"
Baalorlord wrote:
"
Anup wrote:

This would cut my ES nearly in half. Its quite astonishing how much of a downgrade Shavs is, really.
oh, i see. Double damage for half shield with your current damage output seems like a bad trade indeed. Thank you.

"
fisch666 wrote:
What do guys think about maybe sacrificing some es or a few damage nodes so that u can spec into double curse and use Asenath's Gentle Touch? It wouldn't be so great against like white mobs since the curse will be applied the moment they get hit by icestorm but by the time they'll be dead, but i could imagine against bosses, tanky rares or even the new perandus mobs it might be a good contribution to survivability.
What do u think?
temporal chains are useless, you already have them on chilled ground ;)
The chill effect still work with elemental focus and avatar of fire ?
I use gentle touch glove to add temporal chain on hit with +10% dmg from profane bloom from occultist.

"
Icy bolts rain down over the targeted area. They explode when landing, dealing damage to nearby enemies and chilling them, as well as causing patches of chilled ground. Skill damage is based on Intelligence.

"
Chilling ground is a detrimental ground effect that inflicts chill.

"
Chill is an elemental status ailment inherent to cold that applies a slow effect to the character, reducing the animation speed at which the character plays by 30%

"
Elemental Focus is a support gem. It multiplies the elemental damage of linked skills, at the cost of them being unable to apply elemental status ailments.

So... does it work or not ?
---
Last edited by Kelemn on Mar 17, 2016, 10:30:30 AM
The chilled ground is a debuff Icestorm always leaves after landing. It has nothing to do with status ailments negation from Elemental focus, or with the element you are converting Icestorm in (via AoF, in this case).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info