Cold to Fire

There's not really that much of an order. The order is basically like this:
Flat damage -> Conversions -> Additive increases -> Multiplicative.
But because of how it works a lot of the order doesn't mean much.
Normal damage from anywhere gets all the modifiers it would normally get. Converted damage gets modifiers from the type it was converted from and the type it was converted into.

Fire damage from AoF is fire elemental physical weapon damage essentially. Anything that benefits those or any combinations of those will boost it.

In the case of that ground slam it works like this in this order:
* a percent of the physical damage is added as fire
* All of the remaining physical damage (which is all of it since none was converted away) is added as fire
* All of the remaining physical damage is removed
* Weapon Elemental damage applies to all the fire damage on the attack and multiplies it
* Chance to ignite adds a chance to ignite for the full fire damage dealt.

Weapon Physical Damage would add more I believe but I don't remember the exact numbers on those gems.
Last edited by Umbraal on Apr 30, 2012, 6:09:51 PM
Much obliged, good sir.
"
blinddagger95 wrote:
So then, if I read properly, the conversion from cold to fire is the very first thing to happen in the order of operations? This is extremely useful information. I would love a complete breakdown of the damage calculation order of operations, as I am a min-maxer and a number cruncher (I drove my D&D dungeon master crazy). This would allow me to determine how AoF gets calculated when both (bonus to physical/weapon type/wield type) passives and (+fire) passives are present. I absolutely love this game so far!

Edit: I saw also in another thread (about increased ignite support) a link to a helmet that the user claimed greatly increased an AoF build's dps. The user linked chance to ignite, weapon elemental dmg, and added fire damage to the skill ground slam. I would absolutely love to see the calculation breakdown for this.

~ I'm sorry if this post has deviated from the thread in which it was spawned. Maybe I can repost in AoF thread or find one relevent to the complex topic of damage calculation?
For damage calculations, converted damage gets all applicable bonuses from BOTH damage types.

So if 80% of your cold damage is converted to fire, then 80% will gain the benefits of both fire, and cold damage, and the rest will just get cold damage.
Last edited by Strill on Jun 5, 2012, 2:26:42 AM
I would like to see this skill add/convert increased chance of freezing into increased chance of burning/ignite. Then it would have greater synergy with glacial hammer maybe?
"
tzaro wrote:
This is a great gem, I am still working out how best to distribute passives to take advantage of it though.

It's important to remember that the cold damage converted always receives your cold modifier so you can never lose DPS on paper while leveling up the gem.

Can you give us more information on this? My impression is that cold to fire is in no situation worth the skill slot. Is your build really getting better with cold to fire? Does your build horde all cold and all fire nodes (witch area)?
http://www.roadatlas.eu
"
prawda wrote:
Can you give us more information on this? My impression is that cold to fire is in no situation worth the skill slot.

And then you find a monster with 75% Cold resist and a bunch to spare. Additionally, as per Strill's comment above, the converted damage benefits from both Cold and Fire damage passives.
i have 1 question , converted dmg is only fire dmg affected with fire/cold +dmg nodes or its fire with its dmg nodes and cold with dmg nodes at same time

if this second solution it will mean that cold witch will become fire 1

thx for reply

i just want to know if with lecs say 80% converted cold to fire dmg in case of meeting with fire resist mob i have only 20% cold dmg?
math time for everyone related to this skill. i will use an arbitrary 200 base damage skill for all statements. converting rule is damage is split before calculations and all increases are additive to each other as normal.

cold to fire of 50% convert
30% spell damage boost (or plain damage boosts such as in case of AoE)
25% elemental
20% cold
15% fire
first damage is converted so:
100 cold
100 fire
next is damage boosts:
100 *(1+ 0.3+ 0.25+ 0.2) =165
100 *(1+ 0.3+ 0.25+ 0.2+ 0.15) =190
total damage 355

summary: base *(1+ all damage mods but fire and light + damage mod of fire * convert amount)

"
i just want to know if with lecs say 80% converted cold to fire dmg in case of meeting with fire resist mob i have only 20% cold dmg?

well max fire res is 75% so you'd be dealing: all cold damage + 25% of fire damage
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Oct 29, 2012, 10:25:18 AM
so i guess its best to lv cold to fire gem to around 50% to use both types of element, so cold AND fire

if you want both yes, but you'll get increasing benefit for fire if you keep leveling.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info