Cold to Fire

Wow! So not only the Added damage is applied multiplicatively but it also double-dips into the foci from both 'before' and 'after' damage types?

This gem is really powerful! Thank you for the clarification.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 5, 2016, 12:32:14 AM
Another question: what about life leech? If I have "N% cold damage leeched as life", will this apply only to the resulting cold damage or to all resulting damage including fire (because "increased cold damage" applies to all of it)?
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 6, 2016, 12:40:23 PM
It would only apply to the remainder Cold Damage; the same goes for all forms of mitigation too.
Adding Avatar of Fire to Cold to Fire converts 100% of a cold spell's damage to fire. Good! However, the total dps didn't increase much compared to where it was before taking Avatar of Fire. Now it's just all fire, a sum of what was previously cold and fire parts, plus a small addition from the increased fire damage affecting the previously-cold portion. But nothing big.

Does the multiplicative 30% 'added fire damage' apply only to the portion of the damage converted by Cold to Fire, and the Avatar of Fire conversion is unaffected by it?
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 14, 2016, 11:38:17 AM
Damage Based On is calculated prior to Conversion - the 30% is based on your base Cold Damage. Avatar of Fire doesn't change it in any shape or form. It is then multiplied similar to Conversion, benefiting from source-type modifiers as well as its own.
So in the case of 100% conversion (CtF + AoF) I am supposed to get the same result as a 30% MORE damage multiplier, right? Hmm... that's not what I am seeing.

In your previous explanation, the part converted to fire by CtF was multiplied by 1.3. But it looks like the part converted by AoF is not affected by it, despite my base cold damage staying the same while the conversion rate changing to 100%.
"
Kelvynn wrote:
So in the case of 100% conversion (CtF + AoF) I am supposed to get the same result as a 30% MORE damage multiplier, right?

No. 30% More Damage is a straight x1.3 multiplier. Damage Based On grants additional Base Damage, which is then multiplied as per usual. They are not comparable due to having entirely different functionality.

"
Kelvynn wrote:
In your previous explanation, the part converted to fire by CtF was multiplied by 1.3.

I simply added the two Damage values together because they benefit from the same multipliers.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
30% More Damage is a straight x1.3 multiplier. Damage Based On grants additional Base Damage, which is then multiplied as per usual. They are not comparable due to having entirely different functionality.

But in the case of CtF, the additional base damage is a fraction of the base damage.

X/2 + (X/2)*0.3 = (X/2)*1.3

i.e. exactly the same as 30% More Fire Spell Damage if CtF is the only conversion taking place. That's why I expected AoF to contribute more than it actually does. But apparently the other half converted by AoF is added to the result separately from the CtF's half, and we still get only that (X/2)*0.3 added, not the whole X*0.3
I think this is one of the strongest support gems in the game right now. Slotted it into my cyclone/discharge/vortex build and am kicking tons of ass. Very much worth spending GCP on to bump to 20% qual

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info