Xbox servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Cold to Fire

But if you had it on a weapon attack skill and you were affected by Hatred I do believe it would convert some of the cold damage to fire damage then, right?
"
But if you had it on a weapon attack skill and you were affected by Hatred I do believe it would convert some of the cold damage to fire damage then, right?
correct
But does this support actually add damage (other than burning)?

It says converts 40% cold damage into fire, so I understand it as if you do 100 cold damage, you'd deal 60 cold damage and 40 fire damage, effectively reducing all slow and freeze effects?
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Last edited by jawsofhana on Apr 6, 2012, 7:14:32 AM
Another interesting question...

Lets say I have a weapon skill that has 100 cold damage. Then I also have the passive Ice Bite which gives 45% extra cold damage on weapon attacks. So that would make the cold damage to be 145 damage. What happens now if I would use the Cold to Fire support gem, would it make fire damage based on the 100 cold damage or the 145 cold damage?

Sincerely!

/Thrilled
IGN: Azatooth or Xploding
"
jawsofhana wrote:
But does this support actually add damage (other than burning)?

It says converts 40% cold damage into fire, so I understand it as if you do 100 cold damage, you'd deal 60 cold damage and 40 fire damage, effectively reducing all slow and freeze effects?

Doesn't ADD damage... until you find a % quality Cold to Fire gem :) Then it starts % increasing your fire damage and cold damage !
"
thrilled wrote:

Lets say I have a weapon skill that has 100 cold damage. Then I also have the passive Ice Bite which gives 45% extra cold damage on weapon attacks. So that would make the cold damage to be 145 damage. What happens now if I would use the Cold to Fire support gem, would it make fire damage based on the 100 cold damage or the 145 cold damage?

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

From some posts that Mark@GGG has made, I would answer your scenario like this:

Base: 100 Cold Damage
Passives: +45% Cold Damage
Support: 40% cold damage converted to fire

He does the math like this (seems backwards at first but the more you research it in combination with other modifiers the more it makes sense):

100 cold damage base becomes:

60 cold damage * (1 + .45) = 87
40 fire damage * (1 + .45) = 58

In this particular example, the fire damage used your cold damage passive modifier because the fire damage came from cold damage. 58+87=145 so you may think that it came from the 145 but if you had additional modifiers you would see this is not the case. It just worked out this way in your simple example. If, for instance, we changed the question to this:

Passives: +45% Cold Damage, +20% Fire Damage, +10% Elemental

It would go like this:

60 cold damage * (1 + .45 + .1) = 93
40 fire damage * (1 + .45 + .2 + .1) = 70

Note that it is more clear in this example that Ice Bite did NOT happen "before" Cold to Fire in terms of Order of Operations.

I hope my example helped you see how damage is calculated in the equation and in what order. Maybe Mark can confirm whether I shared this correctly :)

If Ice Bite happened "before" Cold to Fire, it would mean that the %'s are being Multiplicative, and the devs have made it clear that %'s are to be additive to prevent abuse of combining mechanics.

(The only time that something is "multiplicative" is when they use the word "MORE" instead of "Increase %", an example would be Chaos Innoculation Keystone- it says "80% MORE maximum energy shield". This is a flat 80% that goes ON TOP, after other increase % mods)
Last edited by visibiliti on Apr 11, 2012, 11:31:32 AM
"
visibiliti wrote:
"
thrilled wrote:

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

From some posts that Mark@GGG has made, I would answer your scenario like this:

Passives: +45% Cold Damage

He does the math like this (seems backwards at first but the more you research it in combination with other modifiers the more it makes sense):

60 cold damage * (1 + .45) = 87
40 fire damage * (1 + .45) = 58

In this particular example, the fire damage used your cold damage passive modifier because the fire damage came from cold damage. 58+87=145 so you may think that it came from the 145 but if you had additional modifiers you would see this is not the case. It just worked out this way in your simple example. If, for instance, we changed the question to this:

Passives: +45% Cold Damage, +20% Fire Damage, +10% Elemental

It would go like this:

60 cold damage * (1 + .45 + .1) = 93
40 fire damage * (1 + .45 + .2 + .1) = 70

Note that it is more clear in this example that Ice Bite did NOT happen "before" Cold to Fire in terms of Order of Operations.

I hope my example helped you see how damage is calculated in the equation and in what order. Maybe Mark can confirm whether I shared this correctly :)

If Ice Bite happened "before" Cold to Fire, it would mean that the %'s are being Multiplicative, and the devs have made it clear that %'s are to be additive to prevent abuse of combining mechanics.

(The only time that something is "multiplicative" is when they use the word "MORE" instead of "Increase %", an example would be Chaos Innoculation Keystone- it says "80% MORE maximum energy shield". This is a flat 80% that goes ON TOP, after other increase % mods)
I didn't go to the extent of checking the actual numbers you got out of them, but the way you laid out the calculations is correct, as is your explanation of why they need to work this way. Well done! Now I don't have to do it for this thread :P
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 11, 2012, 7:34:16 PM
This is a great gem, I am still working out how best to distribute passives to take advantage of it though.

It's important to remember that the cold damage converted always receives your cold modifier so you can never lose DPS on paper while leveling up the gem.
IGN: Guillotine - Shadow - Open Beta
Bawss - 73 Witch - Closed Beta

Last edited by tzaro on Apr 16, 2012, 7:38:27 AM
Unavailable
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
So then, if I read properly, the conversion from cold to fire is the very first thing to happen in the order of operations? This is extremely useful information. I would love a complete breakdown of the damage calculation order of operations, as I am a min-maxer and a number cruncher (I drove my D&D dungeon master crazy). This would allow me to determine how AoF gets calculated when both (bonus to physical/weapon type/wield type) passives and (+fire) passives are present. I absolutely love this game so far!

Edit: I saw also in another thread (about increased ignite support) a link to a helmet that the user claimed greatly increased an AoF build's dps. The user linked chance to ignite, weapon elemental dmg, and added fire damage to the skill ground slam. I would absolutely love to see the calculation breakdown for this.

~ I'm sorry if this post has deviated from the thread in which it was spawned. Maybe I can repost in AoF thread or find one relevent to the complex topic of damage calculation?
Last edited by blinddagger95 on Apr 28, 2012, 12:24:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info