Cold to Fire

"
Hixxie wrote:
Does this gem convert before, at the same time, or after the new ring Pyre?
ex: linking Ice nova + cold to fire, while pyre is equipped.

It seems like it does, but I'd like to confirm it somehow.....
pyre is 100%, so the cold to fire is ignored for the conversion.

however, cold to fire still has the +x% cold is added as fire. so thats still working...
Also: Conversion is a single step.
I have a question. I am playing marauder with molten strike and use hatred+herald of ash, also have pyre ring. And now, which is better to have, example - 4k fire dmg + 2k cold dmg OR 6k fire dmg with pyre hmmm? / Sory for my bad english.
I am a bit unsure about how this gem functions with AoF and any Ice skill.

Im planning on using Freezing Pulse linked with Cold to Fire and AoF.
All I know is that it would give me 100% Fire dmg. But would the part of the gem taht says
"x% of Cold Damage Added As Fire Damage" - Apply at all with AoF?
Could I still scale Freezing Pulse with Cold Damage nodes as well?

(Truly sorry If im not supposed to ask questions here)
Damage Based On (x% of Cold as Fire Damage) is calculated before Conversion takes place - you will still receive that bonus despite the 100% Conversion.

Converted Damage benefits from the source-type's Damage multipliers. Cold Damage converted to Fire will still benefit from Cold-specific modifiers.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Damage Based On (x% of Cold as Fire Damage) is calculated before Conversion takes place - you will still receive that bonus despite the 100% Conversion.

Converted Damage benefits from the source-type's Damage multipliers. Cold Damage converted to Fire will still benefit from Cold-specific modifiers.

Thank you!
That opens up a few builds I have in my mind.
I was sad and disappointed when I realised that this did not work the way with HoI as I hoped it would :( maybe I'll find a use for it :/
"
KillerB wrote:
I was sad and disappointed when I realised that this did not work the way with HoI as I hoped it would :( maybe I'll find a use for it :/

Works fine with my HoI, until I get Empower leveled.
I'm confused about the interaction between the Added damage part of this gem and other damage modifiers: 'increased' and 'more'. I know that the modifiers apply before the conversion. But when does the Added part apply?

Let's say my cold spell deals 100 damage and I have 50% increased cold damage, 30% increased fire damage, and 15% more damage modifiers from the tree and other supports. And I have a lv 20 CtF gem (29% cold dmg added as fire).

a) I deal 100 * (1.0 + 0.5) * 1.15 = 172 cold damage before conversion, so that's split by this gem into 86 cold and 86 fire damage, and then 86 * 0.29 = 24 fire damage added. Then my total is 86 cold 110 fire damage.

b) I deal 172 cold damage before the conversion, 86 + 86 after. Then 24 fire added. And then that 24 is modified by 30% increased and 15% more: 24 * (1.0 + 0.30) * 1.15 = 35. Then my total is 86 cold and 121 fire damage.

Which one is correct?
"I know that the modifiers apply before the conversion"
For starters, that's not the case. Conversion occurs before all modifiers. Converted Damage and Damage Based On benefit from modifiers to the source-type, thus Increased Fire and Increased Cold are additive.

100 Cold * 0.29 = 29 Fire (from Cold)
100 Cold converts to 50 Cold, 50 Fire (from Cold)

50 Cold benefits from Cold/Spell Damage:
50 * 1.5 * 1.15 = 86.25 -> 86 Cold Damage

79 Fire (from Cold) benefits from Fire/Cold/Spell Damage:
79 * 1.8 * 1.15 = 163.53 -> 163 Fire Damage
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 4, 2016, 9:54:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info