General Support Discussion

Can the "Tags" section of each Support Gems tooltip be updated to be consistent with the Active Skill Gem tooltip descriptions? All the Active Skill Gems list what 'Type' they are in the Tag area but almost none of the Support Gems do (I know Minion and Totem support gems list there type in the Tag area).

It would make it vastly easier to quickly compare support gems with active skill gems and work out which works with what.

Edit: or did this happen when the new designs were introduced? o_O
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 17, 2013, 12:00:05 PM
Quick question: does item rarity support gem stacks with total item rarity my character has? lets say I have 90% item rarity in total, +30% item rarity attached to my main skills which I use to kill all monsters, so I mean will my item rarity will be 120% or just 30% ? Because at the moment it seems nowhere as it was without support gem
item rarity and item quantity stacks additively to your rarity and quantity from equipement.
I just had a quick suggestion. The quality % on gems, as well as the stat that the quality applies to on the gem, should have their font/fontcolor changed so when u look at it u know which stat is not there on normal gems. maybe make it purple tinted instead of blue.
The skill system has the potential to be amazing but is not there yet (not even 20% what it can be).

1. The skills are not very different when using different mod gems (one of the good things in Diablo 3 is that skills are different and have different utility and give you a reason to make level 60).
2. Melee skills lack of support gems and utility. Some of the support are not what they should be, AOE support should be like +300% area and -50% damage so that it would be a true AOE for example. There are a LOT of things to improve this, just think what kind of skills you would want to have from the existing ones, It is BORING to have the same groundslam skill from the start to the endgame (with very SMALL variations, but not visual)
3. Some skills LOOK BAD, like dual strike (and yes, DUAL WIELD NEEDS MORE SKILLS) and others to simple, like arrows (I know they are arrows but they can have different nice effects on them, to be as cool as spells)
"
Exudering wrote:
The skill system has the potential to be amazing but is not there yet (not even 20% what it can be).

1. The skills are not very different when using different mod gems (one of the good things in Diablo 3 is that skills are different and have different utility and give you a reason to make level 60).
2. Melee skills lack of support gems and utility. Some of the support are not what they should be, AOE support should be like +300% area and -50% damage so that it would be a true AOE for example. There are a LOT of things to improve this, just think what kind of skills you would want to have from the existing ones, It is BORING to have the same groundslam skill from the start to the endgame (with very SMALL variations, but not visual)
3. Some skills LOOK BAD, like dual strike (and yes, DUAL WIELD NEEDS MORE SKILLS) and others to simple, like arrows (I know they are arrows but they can have different nice effects on them, to be as cool as spells)

1. More graphic is good
2. Different visual effect would be nice (like burning arrow could leave a flame trail at higher level) or ground slam could project little rocks here and here) but addind +300% area would be ridiculous and turn the character into a dragon ball like character. I dont think this is the intent of GGG (not to mention that with increase area of effect gem + passive you can reach almost +100% more AOE, 94% to be exact)
3. Some skills look bad because there are no reasons to look awesome. Split arrow is just that...More arrows... But putting a fire damage on it could add some light fire effect on them.
Still no additional support gems for auras T_T
I believe that support gems should ACTUALLY SUPPORT instead of just modifying the actual base. And before we can do that, we need to modify how they interact with each other before interacting with the skill gem.

I think a good berf would be to use the values themselves, and to find the average. This works out in the end, because higher costing gems have higher mana cost.

An example of two modifiers in a link. Let's say Blood Magic and GMP. Blood magic is 245% increase in mana. GMP is a 200% increase in mana. The total of the mana modifiers is combined, and the resulting average is 222.5% increase in mana. We'll round it up to nerf a tiny bit, thus equalling a 223% increase in mana for both of them total. *

You may think this is overpowered, but Ethereal Knives ends up costing 165 mana total, some used from health and some used from mana.

Secondly, I thought of doing this for the damage modifiers, but thought it would be too overpowered, simply because we need limits.

An example of the previous idea was Fork and Chain. Fork is 30% damage reduction, and chain is 50% damage reduction. 30+50=80/2=40, thus making it a 40% reduction. *

Then I thought of the higher base taking precedence before the lower base, so then it would be a 50% reduction or a 245% reduction in damage or mana respectively. **

At last I thought of an easier way. Find the average, and add it to the lowest value.

So for blood magic, 433% is 12% less reduction than 445%. ***

For fork and chain, 30 + 40 = 70%, 10 less than 80%. This is still quite high for the support, but after this point, all we can do is add more modifiers (take away 10 percent, 403% and 63%) or use an existing one (I'd prefer the first, but the second and third are also acceptable).

PLEASE developers, make the support gems actually support each other and the skill gem better, because right now they are modifier gems.

PS. * = #1, ** = #2, etc.
Last edited by NetherArum on Mar 11, 2013, 7:02:21 PM
Well I was sort of testing stuff out with cyclone skill and noticed this when you use it with two handed weapons;

I'm not sure if thats supposed to happen (look at the "off hand" part)

It just seems off somehow. Kind of makes it very bad gem to be used with 2h weapons cause it "hits twice" (first with "main hand" then with "off hand" atleast that's how it seemed to work for me)
Edit: this was done using 2handed mace (Marohi Erqi to be specific)
Edit#2: Posted here since I couldn't find a topic specifically for "cyclone" skill :(
Last edited by Ayu87 on Mar 19, 2013, 10:25:27 AM
"
Ayu87 wrote:
Edit#2: Posted here since I couldn't find a topic specifically for "cyclone" skill :(

It's a Skill gem, not a Support gem, so it's in the Skill Gem Feedback section :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info