General Support Discussion
I came here to post the same thing.
It'd be nice to have a support gem that makes a melee skill AoE.
I really wanted to make a shield charge character where shield charge does AoE damage.
It'd be nice if there were two different ones:
Reduces cast/attack speed by 30%.
Deals 25% of damage +1%/lvl in a medium AoE.
Decreases damage by 30%.
Deals 25% of damage +1%/lvl in a small AoE.
Melee or Projectile End.
Or something like those.
40% Reserved Mana.
This aura alone do nothing, but it turn all the support gems for your basic attacks.
EG: If you use this aura with an Added Could Damage support, it would add the cold damage to your basics attacks, and so on...
on Feb 4, 2013, 9:56:46 PM
There is a few gems i thought about:
Chance gems - 15% chance doing lvl X frost nova (X would increase with lvl's)
there could be other skills like ARC, SPARK, anything basically would be nice. Skill's like this would be nice for attack speed chars and melee chars trying to do AoE damage with its single target skill
AoE damage for melee - X% damage done in a radius Y (X and Y would increase with lvl's)
This is a must, or something like this. Melee characters can't do that much AoE with single target spells. Ranger's and Caster's have fork, chain, lesser, greater, etc. There is not a single support gem that makes a single target melee skill AoE damage.
Added physical damage (For some reason you forgot this simple gem)
Added armour penetration (just so elemental and physical damage can be balanced)
Spread Attack Gem - Add X attacks, spreads the total number of attacks between the Y closest targets. (Would be great to place this on something like elemental hit and attack all the targets surrounding us at the same time, they would die at the same time instead of 1 by 1. It would be equal to the difference between lighting shot and lighting shot with lesser)
I was kind of disappointed with a few things regarding support gems:
1) I don't really see much of a difference in the appearance of the skill. Compare to Diablo 3's skills un-runed vs. runed. It would be interesting to see lots of different animations based on the one or more support gems involved. I know this requires a lot of work but it will be worth it and make the experience more rewarding.
2) Support gems won't work on certain skills. For instance, I couldn't apply "Increased Item Quantity" to totems or auras. I guess it would be cool to have that as a passive support gem vs. needing to use a specific active skill to kill an enemy so that you gain the effect.
I think #2 could at least be alleviated if the skill and support gems had better descriptions.
3) I don't feel that the skills/support gems grow in power. It more or less just feels that they are helping keep up with the difficulty of the game. Maybe this is just my perception but there should be a better way to go about it. Perhaps for every 15 or 20 levels you could hit a milestone at which point that skill gem gains an additional effect or bonus. I never used any orbs to increase the quality of skills but I am talking about a significant change...not just a quality percentage.
I have a question. So the support gem is on a weapon, without it being attached to any other slots. It happens to be a life leach gem. Will a support gem work with a weapon, like will it leach health from the damage the weapon does or will the support gem only leach life from the abilities i have it attached too, like 'flicker strike' or 'dual strike.' please let me know would be greatly appreciated thanks for taking the time to read this
"support gems must be linked to a compatible gem to get the effects, they don't work alone.
Item quantity and item rarity works on the dot of poison arrow ?
1. When combining Poison Arrow with Life or Mana Leech does it proc over time or only on the initial strike? Would think over time since they are Damage over time skills. Of course maybe that would make it to OP so I dont know.
2. Can Fork and LMP be combined so it shoots a 3 shot that then forks into 6 arrows, projectiles?
Thank you, fantastic game. Will be a supporter soon, was waiting to get paid. Appreciate all the hard work and continuous development feedback. Best ARPG in the last 10 years hands down in my book.
1. Damage over Time does not Hit. Leech only applies to Hits. :)
I like the new graphics on the gems.
But, I have a suggestion on gems (and all items).
Could there be a different colored background on a quality gem (or item) when it is in your inventory or stash?
Sorry if this has already been suggested.