I still think map drops are fine - boost drops and good players can do 79++ all day long

I've always found that i used most of my currency i earned in mapping to keep mapping, but then valuable items i find are what adds to my wealth. Anyways right now i am doing it for xp though not to farm, i'd gladly burn though some exalts to maintain a fairly high level of maps. Then when i am bored as hell i go to docks or something to grind some free farm. Or run some unid rare maps.

Got pretty damn unlucky these days didn't find anything huge.. two troll lioneyes glare looking at me reminding me of back in the day xD

I'm fine sitting at 76-78 and occasional dip into 80+ and 75. Seems alright to me, don't want it too become too easy then lvl 100 means nothing compared to the oldies.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Aug 3, 2015, 10:48:05 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:

So... we have a situation where sustaining 77/78 requires extreme expense for sustaining what are MID TIER maps and sustaining 79+ is not possible.

If you are OK with running your 75/76 pool then yeah, drops feel OK. If you want to stay 77+, you'd better be prepared to drop some serious $$$$ on your rolls in the form of Zana mods, and you cannot do anything to stay in 79+.

The reason you feel drops are OK and others don't is that you are OK running poop level maps to rebuild your 77+ pool.

I think GGG is trying to readjust expectations for map drops.

77/78 is definitely not sustainable for "reasonable" (I use a rule-of-thumb of ~25% of the value of the map but YMMV) amounts of currency. It is possible but you do need a lot more currency per map to do it. 75 and above is sustainable with a small currency deficit per run, regularly spiking into 77/78. Getting 79+ requires additional luck! I am talking about solo here - group play reduces the cost a lot.

"
Char1983 wrote:

- Question: How did you get the lvl 80 maps? Zana mission +1 and boss drop +2?

If it gives you an indication of the (chain-)luck needed to get 80+ (it may also depress you depending on your point of view!):

- I started 6 x 78 maps + 14 x 77 maps, all rolled etc. After chain running 78+ drops, I got 1 x 80, and 3 x 77. I also had around 20+ 75/76 maps.
- I entered a 77 map, and got a 78. I corrupted the 78 to get a 79. The boss dropped an 81.
- I entered a 77 map, and got a cartobox, that dropped a 79. The 79 was corrupted to 80. The 80 boss dropped a +2 map (that 77 dropped from what was my last 76 at the time!).
i think a +2 drop is something like once every 20-25 maps.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
I'll say the same as I said in another similar thread.

I mainly play hardcore league and I like the new map drop system. Before I would only run easy normal maps without any mods and could still progress to the late tier of maps.

Now I need to invest a lot of chisels and alch, to make maps that are full of mods to have a chance to progress to late tier. Wich is interesting, challengefull, risky and stressful sometime. I play mainly hardcore for theses reasons, now I get more intensity from the maps, I'm happy with it

-Rip my scion :3
"
diablofdb wrote:

I mainly play hardcore league and I like the new map drop system. Before I would only run easy normal maps without any mods and could still progress to the late tier of maps.

Now I need to invest a lot of chisels and alch, to make maps that are full of mods to have a chance to progress to late tier. Wich is interesting, challengefull, risky and stressful sometime. I play mainly hardcore for theses reasons, now I get more intensity from the maps, I'm happy with it

Valid reason to play difficult content, not so much when it comes to map sustainability. Difficult maps do not mean more rewards.

This argument get even more awkward if you look at it from different angle. Let's compare maps based on difficulty and potential rewards: Phantasmagoria vs Promenade. Both maps have solid layout and similar pack density. One, however, has a boss at the end that will off-screen hit you for several thousands HP while the other has a moderately hard hitting melee mob with a companion that randomly casts semi-dangerous buff on him. You can get +2 from both bosses but you will die to just one.

Tell me a good reason why would you run Phantasmagoria over Promenade? Does that reason have anything with map sustainability? We all know the answer:

Spoiler
No, it does not.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
I'm fine sitting at 76-78 and occasional dip into 80+ and 75. Seems alright to me, don't want it too become too easy then lvl 100 means nothing compared to the oldies.

I really really wonder why everyone keeps tying these things together - getting to high level maps and getting to level 100. There are other ways to separate the two issues, or to make getting lvl 100 still challenging even if you raise the level of sustainable maps by two.

The problem is: I do not want to get to level 100. I will never get there, for various reasons. I am not interested. I am not even interested in getting more XP. Maybe two more levels to 93 (OK, then it probably gets addicting). But I really don't give a shit about getting to >95. What I do want, though, is to explore the high-level content, and to be challenged. Like, at least once. Maybe not the 82s (my character is too weak for it probably anyways). But at least everything up to level 80. Right now a lot of the time I am spending in boring content. Which sucks, and reduces motivation.

I have done all lvl 77 maps and soon will have finished doing all 78s at least once. Above, it will become difficult.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Aug 3, 2015, 11:21:11 AM
All day, that's the bottom line.

It takes all fucking day.
In 1.3 I could sustain 76 no problem, and that felt pretty good with the occasional 77 and 78. Now I have a hard time maintaining a pool of 75 and 76. I've run a bunch of legacy 76 and 77 maps, I Alch everything (but can't afford to Chisel everything, so I save Chisels for 77+ maps), and out of those 30 or so maps I got maybe three 77 and a single 78. Now I run the new 75 and 76 maps and hardly ever get 76 or 77 drops (forget about 78). Maybe it will be ok if I run an even larger pool of 74s and 75s than I already have in The Awakening... But it's going to have to be one big ass pool and a waste of time.

GGG wants us to shift our expectations, which is perfectly fine for the wealthy who can buy maps and chisels, but it feels like an attack on those who could previously or with fewer problems sustain 76 solo (yet still never be in reach of level 100 despite that ability).
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
Baron01 wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

Valid reason to play difficult content, not so much when it comes to map sustainability. Difficult maps do not mean more rewards.

This argument get even more awkward if you look at it from different angle. Let's compare maps based on difficulty and potential rewards: Phantasmagoria vs Promenade. Both maps have solid layout and similar pack density. One, however, has a boss at the end that will off-screen hit you for several thousands HP while the other has a moderately hard hitting melee mob with a companion that randomly casts semi-dangerous buff on him. You can get +2 from both bosses but you will die to just one.

Tell me a good reason why would you run Phantasmagoria over Promenade? Does that reason have anything with map sustainability? We all know the answer:

Spoiler
No, it does not.

it also support my second opinion wich is, it's good to make it harder and longer to get at level 100.
I'm running out of 76+ maps.
I started with 29x75, 44x76, 17x77, 18x78 (30%+pack size).
Now i have 28x75, 17x76, 12x77, 0x78, 1x79, 1x82.
Always do rare maps with pack size and at least 60%+ iiq, 20q on 78+. Can do every map mods except reflect. If this map drops are fine, i'd like to have my ex to buy other 76+ maps from who think so (pm me in game, thx).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info