Shield Charge

Why is shield charge a spell, and also why cant it work with close combat? Just simple questions but I was just curious, and i'm kinda hoping that they change it. For me it doesn't make any sense that its a spell, your literally just charging with your shield, to me that would be all melee and I would change the skill to a melee. Also my reasoning for close combat for shields, well I mean its a shield, that's pretty close range.
Should nodes with #% Increased Defences from equipped Shield like Precise Interception count for the damage calculation on Shield Charge?, I was surprised it does not count, it seems counter intuitive because you're increasing the Armour value on the shield...I think I should and it will be a nice way to increase the Shield Charge damage.
Last edited by DrakoBeoulve on May 13, 2020, 3:43:44 PM
Ok! I'm going nuts. Why the heck can't shield charge have some form of intelligent pathing? Getting stuck on EVERY tiny phreaking thing. Feels awful.
Just wanted to second the opinion some people have made about SC's pathing. It's a great skill, and has improved a lot since the old days, but it still just feels a little bad moving around in areas that aren't wide open fields. It's like nails on a chalkboard when you try to dash, but it fails because you clicked a little too close to a wall.
"
Why is shield charge a spell
It isn't.
"
and also why cant it work with close combat?
Close Combat Support prevents a supported attack being preformed with anything other than an Axe or Sword. Shield Charge is an attack that is performed with a Shield instead of any weapon, so these are incompatible.

"
DrakoBeoulve wrote:
Should nodes with #% Increased Defences from equipped Shield like Precise Interception count for the damage calculation on Shield Charge?
No. They cannot do this.
"
DrakoBeoulve wrote:
I was surprised it does not count, it seems counter intuitive because you're increasing the Armour value on the shield
No, you are explicitly not doing this. These modifiers change how much of a defence you gain from the shield, but the values on the shield are unchanged, whcih is important for several other interactions. You can see in game that the Armour value of the shield item does not change when you have these modfiers, the character's total armour value does.

Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 17, 2021, 10:33:23 PM
At first I wanted to try a different build for 3.15. I saw new skill Shield Crush. You can buy it at the very beginning of a new game. It's a nice skill, AOE and all. Then I upgraded to Shield Charge, and it's whole new style of gameplay. Very fun.

Soon found out that Shield Charge was also boosted in 3.15. Approximately +100% increase in damage. I can definitely feel its power as I just charge through everything in sight.

It's too quirky as a pure travel / teleport. But it's great as a main attack skill to clear the screen. Since you equip a shield, survivability is inherently great, too.

After enjoying Shield Charge, I hope the devs create more shield related skill gems. Maybe even a tag for Shield.
"
Allerdyne wrote:
Just wanted to second the opinion some people have made about SC's pathing. It's a great skill, and has improved a lot since the old days, but it still just feels a little bad moving around in areas that aren't wide open fields. It's like nails on a chalkboard when you try to dash, but it fails because you clicked a little too close to a wall.

Couldn't agree more. GGG, please consider improving Shield Charge's pathing and collission detection. This skill is so awkward to use for such a long time now.

It only really is good for applying Fortify but since it has been announced that Fortify is gonna be reworked to only work for melee, I can totally see this being a thing of the past very soon. Without that mechanic Shield Charge as it is, will never be competetive as a movement skill.

Getting stuck every second charge or charging in place because you clicked too close in front of you or sometimes, if you are in close enviroments, just can't charge at all just isn't good.

Please smooth this one out because SC thematically is pretty damn cool.

Kind regards
The shield charge update made it so it's basically impossible to trigger anything with shield charge, is it fair to ask for some new way to trigger skills with shield charge? My favorite build of all time was CoC Discharge and not only was it completely deleted from the game with other nerfs, never to be played again, but the shield charge triggering of Discharge was incredibly fun, and you had to sacrifice a ton of damage and defenses just to get high attack speed for it to even feel fast.

I just want to have fun again pepehands.
Hi Devs.. Or GGG Staff that may read this

Could you do us a HUGE favor and apply the "anti-collision metric" that you patched in the game for LIGHTNING STRIKE to Shield Charge...

That would be such a great QOL improvement. If you are not aware what I mean, I try to elaborate:

Lightning strike got "stuck" on "everything" in the lake of Kalandra as far as I understood. Therefore, you patched that the hits and the projectiles does not get stuck on ever little "hill" or pixel.

It would be an ABSOLUT BLAST if we could have that for Shield Charge for that we do not get killed because we could not see the two-pixel Hill we charged into 15 times before we get wrecked by that nasty "follow me over the whole map", on death mechanic.

sincerely

DR_Blowhole
Last edited by Dr_Blowhole on Sep 29, 2022, 4:12:35 PM
PLEASE REDUCE THE DEAD ZONE BY HALF!

The "Dead Zone" is the minimum radius you must have your cursor away from your character, to NOT bash in place without moving.

Currently this distance is roughly 20-25% of client height. That's too large.
Considering vertical space is fairly limiting, this makes the skill feel extremely clunky to use.

This chunkiness was introduced in patch 3.7:
"Now bashes when used against targets at very close ranges."

I cannot think of any use case, be it a player or developer, or any build for that matter, that requires shielding 'bashing' in place.

Reducing the dead zone will help all people using this skill, while maintaining the mechanics of this 3.7 change. (You know, for the 10 people playing it that way)
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info