Shield Charge

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Dec 13, 2022, 10:28:50 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
I'm always in favour of being able to punch things in more interesting ways. Unfortunately, until we have the animations and so on to support using it with all weapon types, or the restriction system changes, it's impossible to enable unarmed use.
"
Iusia wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I'm always in favour of being able to punch things in more interesting ways. Unfortunately, until we have the animations and so on to support using it with all weapon types, or the restriction system changes, it's impossible to enable unarmed use.

Damn. Is there no possible way around that or is it too hard to change on short notice?
If a skill specifies any weapon restrictions, it does so by listing all the weapons it works with. "unarmed" isn't a weapon, and can't be made one without making "unarmed" also a type of item, which has it's own consequences.
I hope we;ll be able to work around this in future, but for now we have no way of letting skills be used unarmed unless they can be used with absolutely any weapon - and shield charge currently can't work with wands.
I've updated the skill description.

In the meantime, your no-weapons build can take advantage of the fact that quiver bonuses aren't yet restricted to bows, so you can get those on your unarmed attacks :P
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
Torin wrote:
I been using this skill a lot. It would seem I never miss with it. I also don't remember charging Rhoas missing me although I got both block and evasion.
Shield charge's damage can't miss - this is mentioned on the skill.
It can be blocked.
"
Velkor wrote:
I had a build planned around using Shield charge with a wand.

Apparently, it won't work because the skill only works with melee weapons...

Would it really create unbalances to let wand users have fun with shield charge ?

The skill does a melee hit at the end. Adding wands would require a new set of animations for each character for this, and result in doing a melee hit with a non-melee weapon, which could cause issues which which modifiers to apply. It's not a matter of unbalance, it's a matter of requiring lots of work to allow wands to work with it, which cannot be prioritised at this stage even if we decide we want that.
"
Rowsol wrote:
You want to recreate the problem at the office? Try using it on the totem at the ledge. Since he doesn't move your hits don't connect. The only reason you can hit any guy is because it moves away from you before it attacks.
I just killed every monster in the ledge with close-range shield charges, and not once did it fail to hit. Are you sure you're actually selecting/highlighting the monsters when you click, not the ground near them?

"
Rowsol wrote:
You could add a knockback to the skill (which would make sense considering you're charging into the guy)
Shield charge already does knockback if you charge more than a short distance. This is mentioned in the skill description, but could perhaps do with being described more clearly.
"
Duodecimus wrote:
If I'm right, PoE masks some of the disconnect in monster location displayed/actual by treating projectiles as areas rather than as on-hit objects.
Suppose my archer fires an arrow directly to the side, let's define this as 90 degrees.
In order to deal with the thing that you're shooting at not being exactly where you shot at, the engine gives the projectile an area, say it checks between 87~93.
If you understand geometry, you'll see that this gives a wider area at long range than at short.
At short range however, the possible change in mob location is much more noticeable and thus much easier to miss. Thus, attacking at short range can cause attacks to randomly miss.
If we assume that shield charge, which is a mobile attack, works the same way...
For the record, this isn't true at all, for projectiles or shield charge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info