Shield Charge

Also, can someone please explain if regular non-gem increased attack speed influences this skill, and in which manner it does?
"
Kendroxide wrote:
You would rather punch enemies instead?

Yes, I would. I am currently doing a no weapons build and punching is how I survive. I killed Merveil by punching her to death. I don't see why I can't at least get to cruel.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I'm always in favour of being able to punch things in more interesting ways. Unfortunately, until we have the animations and so on to support using it with all weapon types, or the restriction system changes, it's impossible to enable unarmed use.

Damn. Is there no possible way around that or is it too hard to change on short notice?
"
Iusia wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I'm always in favour of being able to punch things in more interesting ways. Unfortunately, until we have the animations and so on to support using it with all weapon types, or the restriction system changes, it's impossible to enable unarmed use.

Damn. Is there no possible way around that or is it too hard to change on short notice?
If a skill specifies any weapon restrictions, it does so by listing all the weapons it works with. "unarmed" isn't a weapon, and can't be made one without making "unarmed" also a type of item, which has it's own consequences.
I hope we;ll be able to work around this in future, but for now we have no way of letting skills be used unarmed unless they can be used with absolutely any weapon - and shield charge currently can't work with wands.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Iusia wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

If a skill specifies any weapon restrictions, it does so by listing all the weapons it works with. "unarmed" isn't a weapon, and can't be made one without making "unarmed" also a type of item, which has it's own consequences.
I hope we;ll be able to work around this in future, but for now we have no way of letting skills be used unarmed unless they can be used with absolutely any weapon - and shield charge currently can't work with wands.

Damn... Oh well, I hope that one day (hopefully before open beta) it can be worked around. If not, then oh well, it isn't like I can get to chaos without weapons. By then I'd be relying on skills more than anything anyway.

And just out of curiosity, what are the consequences of making "unarmed" a type of weapon?

Also, the description needs to updated to display it's inability to work with wands.
I've updated the skill description.

In the meantime, your no-weapons build can take advantage of the fact that quiver bonuses aren't yet restricted to bows, so you can get those on your unarmed attacks :P
Absolutely love the Shield Charge , you know why guys ? It never ever ever misses + crit gem = yougotknockedtheFoutson :D
"
skaterboy80 wrote:
Absolutely love the Shield Charge , you know why guys ? It never ever ever misses + crit gem = yougotknockedtheFoutson :D

In my experience using this skill 'from maximum distance' is very frustrating and what ends up happening:

-Charge target from max range hoping for big effects.
-Cause no damage to anything trampled, but instead laughable knockback.
-Miss the target monster and charge again but receive no bonus due to close proximity.
-Use a more effective skill.

The mobility and graphical effects are nice, but the lack of AoE burst at the destination of the charge is a dealbreaker. Click slightly off the target monster, or it moves a step and Shield Charge misses. Compared to Flicker Strike(damage, mobility), and Phase Run(mobility) this skill is lacking.

Main points that still haven't been addressed in this thread:
Spoiler
"
Phoenix9525 wrote:
Fun to use but it feels a little clumsy, often it will miss if the target moves even a few inches from the spot they were at when you initiated the attack.
"
The graphic for this skill makes me think it should have a small AoE effect-
I then got Flicker Strike and found that I had almost no reason to ever use it again.
"
Ricebowl wrote:
This skill is, for a lack of a better description, flat out worse than flicker strike in just about every way.
Can't tell you how many times I've used this but was a little off in my clicking and just ran next to them for no reason.
"
rainji wrote:
it needs a little AoE-damage, because sometimes it doesn't hit, even if i click on the monster.
"
ptt_frmr wrote:
- Sometimes the skill will simply miss for no reason
- There seems to be no real pathing to the enemy, so if there's even a tiny obstacle between you and your target, you'll get stuck on air and drain mana without doing anything.
"
SwineFu wrote:
I miss the charge about 30% of the time - basically if my target is moving at all I'll miss since it seems I run in straight line to where they were, not where they are.
Conclusion

Shield Charge needs a linear 'donut Shock Nova treatment'. It makes no sense to be able to Shield Charge a target in close proximity as you have no momentum built up. Determine a minimum distance dead zone where the skill doesn't work (think Lightning Warp minimum distance limitation but farther), concentrated cleave-shaped AoE radius at the end of the charge, trample damage in addition to the minor knockback on monsters in path of charge, and change the scaling bonuses to greatly reduced constant bonuses.

O|...........| -currently charge any distance and miss target
O....|x|x|x| -suggested minimum charge distance, three potential destinations
O\../ -suggested dead zone

That is a skill I would use.
Last edited by Lo4f on Feb 17, 2012, 9:58:27 PM
You are 100% wrong with your conclusion. Why would you want to dull the skill down? the skill is made so you can constantly bash over and over. Otherwise you end up with a skill with very little usability, and not a possibility to have a whole build around charging around like a maniac.

"
You are 100% wrong with your conclusion. Why would you want to dull the skill down? the skill is made so you can constantly bash over and over. Otherwise you end up with a skill with very little usability, and not a possibility to have a whole build around charging around like a maniac.

Charging around like a maniac was all i did with my templar when I built it around this skill and it was freakin fun :D
This skill should hit nearby enemies near the end of the charge, or at least the closest enemy. If you are off by 1 pixel on a single, lone enemy that you are attempting to hit, you will charge but not them.
Last edited by teprac on Mar 7, 2012, 8:02:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info