Heavy Strike

I may be imagining this, but Heavy Strike seems to miss more than other physical skills. It seemed to be that way in 9.8 as a greatsword marauder focusing on attack speed and it seems to be that way now as a scepter/shield templar. Am I imagining this?
Most used skill for the Marauder I played on the weekend (combined with the support gem that adds fire to the skill).

Issues:
1) I really didn't notice much of a knockback effect with this or with the 360 degree strike (sweep?). If it hadn't said so on the tooltip it wouldn't have occurred to me at all. Could you give it some more oomph? Maybe with a distance proportional to damage compared to standard bad guy health at current level. Even making the corpses get knocked back if the hit results in death would make it more visually appealing.

2) Using an axe through most of my weekend's fun, the heavy strike still feels like I'm wielding a hammer and makes a hammery noise.

I've been using Heavy Strike (stacked with extra fire damage) a lot on my lvl 33 sword and board duelist and I'm really enjoying it, the only thing it's missing imho is a better animation because most of the time it looks like a default attack. Other than that I love it.
Last edited by staas on May 22, 2012, 6:26:25 PM
Definitely my favourite DPS skill as a marauder
Is this supposed to work with 1-handed swords?
Because it is.
And I'm loving it.

I decided I had enough mana and mana regen to swap out my default attack for a low-mana cost attack skill. So for a while my dual-wield rapiers were throwing out viper strikes, but then I read Heavy strike and started being hilarious.

That said, does "Increased Stun Threshold Reduction" have any effect if I have 0 Stun threshold reduction? I'd imagine not, since I remember reading something to the effect of "more" being additive increases and "Increased" being multiplicative. I may be taking stuff out of context though.

Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
stun support increases your threshold amount, heavy strike has threshold on it. BOTH gives you stun threshold.
"
Milchut wrote:
That said, does "Increased Stun Threshold Reduction" have any effect if I have 0 Stun threshold reduction? I'd imagine not, since I remember reading something to the effect of "more" being additive increases and "Increased" being multiplicative. I may be taking stuff out of context though.
Those stats were named in a confusing and misleading manner. I have changed their description to match what they do more closely, for a future patch.

It's not actually increasing anything - it's just a reduction to the enemy's stun threshold. It basically means their maximum life is treated as though it were X% lower for the purposes of determining stun.
lets say i have a piece of armor with 3 red sockets that are linked and i put in

Heavy Strike
Added Fire Damage (20%of physical damage added as fire damage)
Weapon Elemental Damage(61% More Weapon Elemental Damage)

will the weapon elemental damage gem affect the dmg output of heavy strike ?

if yes how is the formula for the damage calculation then? for example will the 61% get added after the 20% or will this be merged to an 81% ?

i hope my question is understandable seeing my native language is not english ^^
"
Esto wrote:
lets say i have a piece of armor with 3 red sockets that are linked and i put in

Heavy Strike
Added Fire Damage (20%of physical damage added as fire damage)
Weapon Elemental Damage(61% More Weapon Elemental Damage)

will the weapon elemental damage gem affect the dmg output of heavy strike ?

if yes how is the formula for the damage calculation then? for example will the 61% get added after the 20% or will this be merged to an 81% ?

i hope my question is understandable seeing my native language is not english ^^

*bump* :)
Elemental damage converted from physical damage is enhanced by Weapon Elemental Damage with Lightning Strike or Hatred.

So I'm guessing it will also enhance the Fire Damage from Added Fire Damage, for example with 20% Added Fire:

fire_dmg = (physical_damage * 0.2) * 1.61 + (weapon's fire elemental damage mod * 1.61)

If you have Melee Physical Damage or Heavy Strike I believe they affect the physical damage converted to fire, so they do increase it as well.

It couldn't be merged as 81%, afaik, because they don't do the same thing. WED by itself would do nothing unless there is some elemental damage coming from the weapon mods, or support gems or active auras.

PS: Btw if you have a weapon with high physical damage mods, I think you'll get more damage overall from Melee Physical Damage instead of Weapon Elemental Damage.
Last edited by DeF46 on Aug 18, 2012, 12:56:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info