Frenzy

OK, tried Frenzy for 2 weeks and now I notice I play my Arc Witch more now than my Frenzy character.
After retrying a lot of things I managed to get my DPS back around 40k, but I also had to sacrifice a lot of defense. Extra careful I managed to go from level 82 to 83, but level >74 maps are out of the question now.
This character goes into the refrigerator until the next big patch with hopefully a restore of the majesty of the Frenzy.
Frenzy definitely needs to be changed in order to be used as a primary skill- if you're building around frenzy charges, there are skills that scale MUCH better as people mentioned- viper strike, double strike, and flicker strike.

I could understand if frenzy was intended to be a frenzy charge generator, but it seems based on its scaling on frenzy charges that it *should* also be used as a main attack.

In its current state, to be used as a main attack requires high mana cost for not much reward. You need to sacrifice 1-2 gem slots just to get blood magic or mana leech in order to even run it. It is a little bit easier with elreon amulets but it is still a real struggle for melee frenzy builds.

I propose two changes in order to bring frenzy back to life:

- Lower the mana cost
- Increase the % damage per frenzy charge

This will give incentive to use frenzy over flicker/viper/double strike and also make items like snakebite assassin's mitts have a lot of value.

2 months later and still mad @ GGG for nerfing Frenzy this bad.

For the next patch I propose the following:
Change Frenzy to Herald of Violence or something other cool.
It still is an attack skill for gaining frenzy charges like how it works not, but it also creates a secondary temporary auralike buf of 10-20 seconds where you gain 1%-5% increased damage, 1-5% increased attack/cast speed and 1%-5% increased movement speed per frenzy charge. Quality amplifies this by 1% per quality increase. So 5% damage increase with 20% quality results in 1.2 * 5% = 6% per frenzy charge.

I think it is interesting that it needs you to switch skills once in a while to regain the buff and makes effective use interesting and complex in dangerous situations. I also think it is not overpowered because it still needs a considerable amount of passive skill points which could also be used for defense and crit chance etc.
Tossing my two cents in....

I really wanted to try Frenzy as main dmg skill, so I created an archer and went ahed with Frenzy. I made it to lvl 78 (and could go a bit higher), clearing all the low lvl maps easily. It gets tough when you hit some 72+ maps. If I just switch that skill for Split Arrow or Tornado Shot, my DPS would go way higher and/or would make me clear packs faster (obviously I use LMP to get some AOE but compared to tornado shot or split arrow it doesnt stand well).

Not to mention one needs to take as many +1 frenzy charge passives as possible which limits you in your passive selection. Furthermore merciless bandit reward is mandatory - you guessed it, frenzy charge. Also Darkray Vectors or The Blood Dance are nearly a must for these builds (but its pretty good choice so I dont really mind that) - by this I am trying to indicate what a player willing to play Frenzy - be it an archer or a melee char - has to sacrifice.

Yet this is to no avail, you dont get the fruits of your labor. Many other skills are much easier to use, no stacking, no mandatory tree setup and still more dmg (and yea defenses too due to that bloody tree). An example would be popular Facebreaker build - you can play with Frenzy as main skill. My friend does that and well...not bad actually BUT...
If he had picked Infernal Blow, his dmg will go way higher - again no stacking, passive aoe and half of the dmg is ele making it easier to survive reflects...

Another point is the duration. While it is perfectly understandable why endurance and power charges have this duration, for frenzy it is different. Most builds willing to use it as main skill will rather suffer from it because they cannot always reach new pack of mobs before the counter goes down (either due to running away from skills, looking for new packs, wearing Vectors or whichever reason there is).

Now let me also touch the subject of party playing. This skill is no good for it (as melee character), as your mates can clear the room pretty fast (assuming you are all well geared for instance) making you useles as you can barely keep up you stacks. Once you lose them you may as well go afk cause they will clear the map before you get the stacks back...

Frenzy, as it is now in 1.2.4, is just not worth the efforts and the only good use is as a supporting buff (meaning you stack by other means - e.g. curse - and use other active skill to do actual dmg).

I hereby ask GGG to reconsider the nerfs as this skill really has some awesome mechanics behind it and would definitely be nice to see used ingame.
So, Frenzy will cost 1 less mana coming next patch?
Anyone think it makes a difference? :}
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
So, Frenzy will cost 1 less mana coming next patch?
Anyone think it makes a difference? :}

Not even 1 less mana. GGG must really hate this skill. :(
Seems so.
It's useable, though.
Not the best choice by any stretch of the imagination, but just like CoC Frost Wall or Viper Strike or Melee Witches, it has it's place. That is to say, it has novelty value.
Mana throughput is astronomic, though.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
hello everyone
just my noob Feedback

i just try build a marauder frenzy berserker using dual wield
and i feel frenzy is not good to use for primary combat skill idk i feel this skil miss something ,
i have no choice to remove it for Dual Strike ,

i will like the charge duration have less time but the skill have a bit more dps ,

thank you

play my first rpg on the intellivision :)
Chris Wilson"I want to make sure that melee classes are as good as they can be"
Last edited by charley222 on Nov 23, 2015, 12:34:18 PM
"
charley222 wrote:
hello everyone
just my noob Feedback

i just try build a frenzy berserker dual wield
and i feel frenzy is not good to use for primary combat skill idk i feel this skil miss something ,
i have no choice to remove it for Dual Strike ,

i will like the charge duration have less time but the skill have a bit more dps ,

thank you

Yeah, after a nerf, Frenzy seems to be underwhelming compared to other melee skills. Still could be used to gain charges, but not a primary attack skill.

And the only two active melee skills, that really benefit from dual-wielding, are Dual Strike and Cleave.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Any love for Frenzy in the 2.1 patch?
It would be cool to use this skill again. For now it's like choosing a handicap deliberately.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info