Freezing Pulse

Great ! Many thanks for your help ! Now I can continue leveling my witch with an increased knowledge of how support gems works.

But, if you agree, I would like some explanation

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Freezing Pulse projectiles have a lifespan measured in seconds. If the projectile flies faster, it covers more distance in that same lifespan - Faster Projectiles effectively increases the range on Freezing Pulse

Additionally, FP features Damage drop-off: it progressively deals less Damage as it travels along. Higher projectile speed allows it to retain high Damage potential for a longer distance.

As I use Freezing pulse at close range (and Ice spear at long range) I feel that the distance/damage reduction will not penalize my witch. I will try with both faster projectiles and slower projectiles :) ... it may be suitable

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Support Gems of the same type never stack, the highest-level Gem will take effect.
(LMP gets you better Leech potential for slightly less Damage)

I don't get why there is a better leech potential with LMP ? You mean if it's linked with life leech ?

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Spell Echo if your Increased Cast Speed is already decent, FC otherwise. Where that particular "breakpoint" lies, depends entirely on you. Both is also a funky option, but probably not worthwhile unless you have a six-link.

You mean that I should start with FC, and when my cast speed is decent (accordingly to the passiv tree) I switch to spell echo. That's right ?

I don't see why spell echo is better than FC above a certain cast speed ?
Is there a forum thread about that ?
Btw, what's Apep's Rage stands for ?

Many thanks for your help
Last edited by Heironimus on Nov 17, 2014, 11:10:09 AM
With %Leech, you recover a percent of Damage dealt as Life (or Mana). Every Hit generates a separate 'Leech effect' that heals you, however, only one can be actively healing you at any given moment.

Leech replenishes Life equal to 20% Max Life per second. A stronger Leech will heal you for a longer period of time (thus also healing more in total).

Let's say you deal 100 Damage prior to Supports, and have 100% Life Leech.
GMP hits five times for 50 Damage. Each Hit generates a Leech effect that heals 50 Life. Only one is active -> you heal 50 Life.
LMP hits three times for 70 Damage. Each Hit generates a Leech effect that heals 70 Life. Only one is active -> you heal 70 Life.

With sufficient Damage and %Leech you can get enough Leech to cover the time between two casts even with GMP, but that's kind of difficult to achieve. It's easier to get a constant Leech going with LMP, because each Hit heals you more than GMP would. The trade-off is that you deal slightly less Damage in total.

Generally it's not that big a deal though, so GMP is by far the most common choice to my knowledge.

-----------
Spell Echo grants multiplicative Cast Speed, but you always cast twice in a row.

Let's say base Casting time is one second.
By default, a single button press will lock you in place for exactly one second.
Level 1 Spell Echo grants 50% More Cast Speed (1 / 1.5 = 0.66 new Casting time), locking you in place for 0.66*2 = 1.32 seconds.

Spell Echo is always a stronger DPS support than Faster Casting, but sometimes it's better to be able to move more readily - it's kind of hard to avoid Vaal's smash if you are still stuck casting another Freezing Pulse!

Apep's Rage is a unique Wand: link. Flat Chaos Damage for Spells, lots of Cast Speed, increased Mana Cost.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 17, 2014, 1:11:01 PM
Excellent ! Now I understand all of your advices.

Many thanks :))
How is the damage reduced with lifetime of the projectile?

Is it a linear function of lifetime, that starts with 100% dmg when the projectile is born, and 0% dmg when it is dead?
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
In regards to the upcoming 'shotgun' nerfs, i have a suggestion to make: the width of a pulse should be relative to the projectile speed (with a fixed max. value, for example 120°) ... divided by the number of pulses, so that can't have more than f.e. a half-circle coverage when using LMP or GMP.

Thus with endgame gear you have a similar area coverage as with GMP before the nerf.
Last edited by Fleischtorte on May 20, 2015, 8:01:03 AM
"
mazul wrote:
How is the damage reduced with lifetime of the projectile?

Is it a linear function of lifetime, that starts with 100% dmg when the projectile is born, and 0% dmg when it is dead?
Yes
Looks like Freezing Pulse - highest dmg spell in Awakening ^^
Only arc and Lightning trap competes

And it have 125% dmg effectivenes!
Last edited by Veter on Jul 7, 2015, 2:11:25 PM
Freezing pulse description is quite misleading
it says it has a decaying freeze chance

but from my experience it doesn't seem to have any even at melee range
"
Veter wrote:
Looks like Freezing Pulse - highest dmg spell in Awakening ^^
Only arc and Lightning trap competes

And it have 125% dmg effectivenes!

This spell USED to be fun and popular, not anymore. This spell needed shotgunning.

There is ONE build guide for it at the class forums. And this guide is for softcore and uses 2 items with FP, one for a single target and one for AOE.

Ask yourself, why does this skill have zero guides for HC and just one for SC? Why do other skills have plenty of guides? Was raising damage effectiveness the solution? Nope.

The skill and the unique way it worked was murdered with the removal of shotgunning. Bluntly put, continue "balancing" like that and POE will become as monotonous and bland as Diablo 3.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
1. Point Blank's description explicitly mentions it only applies to Attacks; Spells are not Attacks.

2. Freezing Pulse projectiles have a lifespan measured in seconds. If the projectile flies faster, it covers more distance in that same lifespan - Faster Projectiles effectively increases the range on Freezing Pulse.

Additionally, FP features Damage drop-off: it progressively deals less Damage as it travels along. Higher projectile speed allows it to retain high Damage potential for a longer distance.

3. It depends on whether you are single-element or not. Entirely reliant on Cold Damage? Get Cold Pen. If you use Added Chaos and Apep's Rage instead, don't bother.

4. Support Gems of the same type never stack, the highest-level Gem will take effect.
(LMP gets you better Leech potential for slightly less Damage)

5. Spell Echo if your Increased Cast Speed is already decent, FC otherwise. Where that particular "breakpoint" lies, depends entirely on you. Both is also a funky option, but probably not worthwhile unless you have a six-link.

i'm using an apeps.
i have a four link right now with fp,echo,faster projectiles,added cold/lesser multiple projectiles(for groups and solo bosses)so for the 5link i would pick up added chaos over cold pen?
if your using added chaos and apeps,why don't you get cold pen?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info