Freezing Pulse

"(not even arc, that actually IS a projectile, is)."
What.
Freezing Pulse is a missile that originates from the character and flies horizontally across the field. That is pretty much a textbook definition of Projectile. Arc, on the other hand, is an instant-hit, and just has a pretty animation that shows how it 'travels'. There is nothing projectile-like there.

Also; we all know already :P FP is the best Spell in the game currently.
Love the spell, the fact that it's better than almost every other offensive spell does not make it OP. It's not the user's fault for the huge ass nerfs to everything else.

Hell it's more reasonable to blame it on the support gems such as LMP that make it such a godly skill. But then are they going to nerf LMP? That's a ridiculous notion.
Both are magical Stuff of Magic Dust. Neither is much of an "object" when compared to a baseball really. One is a glob of fire, the other a line of ice. If you ask me, Freezing Pulse is as much an object as Fireball. FP just happens to be a wider object. :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 13, 2013, 2:43:21 AM
"
Mukuro123 wrote:
Love the spell, the fact that it's better than almost every other offensive spell does not make it OP. It's not the user's fault for the huge ass nerfs to everything else.

Hell it's more reasonable to blame it on the support gems such as LMP that make it such a godly skill. But then are they going to nerf LMP? That's a ridiculous notion.

Not just spell. It's the best offensive & defensive skill gem in the game.
"
"That is pretty much a textbook definition of Projectile".
--------

In that case a "flood spell" that would travel forward would be counted as a projectile as well, because it travels horizontal and forward? I cant say I agree, but neither did you with me, so were even.
IMO a projectile is something along the line of fireball, since its an actuall object. I guess arc isnt that close to projectile either, but neither is a "freezing air motion".
In reality I guess a projectile is an object upon which the ONLY force is gravity.

A projectile is a "thing" that covers a distance, typically at high speed.

This "thing" can be anything.

Also, just because it pierces all targets, doesnt make it less of a projectile.
Just an example: does a bullet count as a projectile?
The answer is yes. If you fire a high enough caliber round, you can pierce though objects and humans alike.

Because freezing pulse travels a distance, it is considered a projectile. Makes excellent sence both in game and in reality.

And yes, the spell is hella OP. The range is great, is scales insanely well with certain support gems, mana cost is relatively low and not only does it deal high damage, it also applies chilled/freeze.

Should it be changed at all? I think the spell itself is OK. Perhaps tone down the quality bonus (max 30% projectile speed down to 20%), making it more of a melee spell unless you also equip a projectile speed gem, which reduced max damage dealt.
Another 2 nerfs i can imagine is a fixed spread for LMP regardless of range of you mouse and smaller projectiles for FP.

Currently quite enjoying my flame totem freezing pulse combo.

I dont understand why anyone would complain about a skill being OP, even if it is, in a game like this... this game is meant for enjoyment, one of the best features is they arent tryin to balance it perfectly from build to build, allowing one to do what he wishes, ive found just as many drawbacks to FP as ive found benefits...

about 25% of the time FP is hitting thin air even at point blank range, also if you try to be safe about it you will do crap for damage, you basically have to risk yourself to do good damage, yes it freezes sometimes but not always and a SHITLOAD of npc's have cold and elemental resistances, ive found that more mobs have cold/ele resist than not

I like the spell, but ive found its only really great for trash/farming, when it comes to buffed up npc's your better off using one of the MORE POWERFUL skills/spells..... ive dumped an entire mana bar into a Blue/Magic NPC recently (with 3% mana leach and over 100% mana regen) only to find i barely broke the Energy Shield.... another full mana bar only to bring it down 10-15% - my minions do more damage at that point and they are unmodified...

TDLR: Dont ruin a skill thats alot of fun to play with, its not OP....
op
I have a question about the damage degradation mechanics - will additional damage types, like Chaos damage, degrade together with the main pulse or not?

By the way, I can hardly call the Pulse OP. Damage degradation lowers your damage on range heavily, no matter how much Projectile speed you will get. So, the listed DPS can only be achieved in meele range, otherwise it will be much lower, on par with other spells. If we want to find something OP, we can look at things like Fireball with proper mods. Or Ice spear with Elemental Proliferation. Or spark totem... Well, we can really say, that spells are more or less on par with each other. There are no OP spells, but some too weak spells in fact
All damage decreases with range.

Sure, you won't hit for listed damage on range, but you do hit five times (big, fat projectiles with Greater Multiple, gg), so that makes up for a lot. It also has an additional Chance to Freeze which becomes pretty significant with Proj Speed. Trash Melee won't do shit.

FP is the best Spell in the game currently.
just NERF THIS SKILL INTO THE GROUND.

No point playing when 50% of player base uses freezing pulse build.

OR BUFF OTHER SKILLS.

Freezing pulse shines because
1) u can stack 5 pulses easily on top of each other
2) low mana cost
3) fast casting
4) GOES THROUGH MOBS
5) can travel the entire screen with +20% and faster projectiles
6) MOST IMPORTANT - CRITS WORK SO WELL WITH ICE SPELLS.

fire spells are just lacklustre in comparison
1) incinerate blows. period. Waiting 2 seconds for the full damage buff while you could've casted 20 freezing pulses? no thanks.
2) firestorm takes a while to hit enemies, and falls off in later levels
3) fireball has super high mana cost. Aoe sucks. chance to ignite suxs with quality
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info