Freezing Pulse

@UP: agreed +1

i would throw away FP going through mobs and it should be fine
IGN: FifthCIShadow (HC League)
"
tobes111 wrote:
just NERF THIS SKILL INTO THE GROUND.

No point playing when 50% of player base uses freezing pulse build.

OR BUFF OTHER SKILLS.

Freezing pulse shines because
1) u can stack 5 pulses easily on top of each other
2) low mana cost
3) fast casting
4) GOES THROUGH MOBS
5) can travel the entire screen with +20% and faster projectiles
6) MOST IMPORTANT - CRITS WORK SO WELL WITH ICE SPELLS.

fire spells are just lacklustre in comparison
1) incinerate blows. period. Waiting 2 seconds for the full damage buff while you could've casted 20 freezing pulses? no thanks.
2) firestorm takes a while to hit enemies, and falls off in later levels
3) fireball has super high mana cost. Aoe sucks. chance to ignite suxs with quality

thank you.
"
tobes111 wrote:
just NERF THIS SKILL INTO THE GROUND.

No point playing when 50% of player base uses freezing pulse build.

OR BUFF OTHER SKILLS.

Freezing pulse shines because
1) u can stack 5 pulses easily on top of each other
2) low mana cost
3) fast casting
4) GOES THROUGH MOBS
5) can travel the entire screen with +20% and faster projectiles
6) MOST IMPORTANT - CRITS WORK SO WELL WITH ICE SPELLS.

fire spells are just lacklustre in comparison
1) incinerate blows. period. Waiting 2 seconds for the full damage buff while you could've casted 20 freezing pulses? no thanks.
2) firestorm takes a while to hit enemies, and falls off in later levels
3) fireball has super high mana cost. Aoe sucks. chance to ignite suxs with quality

I think it's impossible to balance FP by buffing other skills, because it's not too good in comparison to other skills - it's too good in comparison to a hypothetical skill that does everything.

I think a few things could be done to help balance it:

- Remove the current +quality bonus. Drop the pierce chance to less than 100%, and allow +quality to increase that - but never back to 100%.
- Alternatively - or possibly, also - cause each piercing hit to deal successively less damage, and remove the chance to crit after the first hit.
- Slow the skill down to be more on par with other cold skills. It would still be unique in relation to Arctic Breath and Ice Spear, simply by virtue of its mechanics.

Basically, it should still act something like it currently does - but it needs meaningful limitations, which it currently lacks.

Edit: In a similar vein, Ice Spear could be adjusted to function like a reverse of this. Give it the same kind of diminished successive hits, but allow it full strength hits + current crit chance in its second form. Remove the capability to crit in its first form, to balance it against Freezing Pulse. All 3 current ice projectile spells would then distinct functions, if not balance.
Last edited by rageofwalrus on Apr 1, 2013, 4:01:45 PM
making freezing pulse the reverse of ice spear sounds appropriate, but what about its wide size?
Wouldn't just making the damage taper off at the sides of the projectile make FP less insane? So hitting an enemy with the centre does full damage, very edge deals reduced. Currently FP isn't that crazy until you factor in GMP and the insane AOE you get.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Honestly, i don't get all the fuss about FP..
It's not OP.
Looking only at the tooltip dps, sure, it seems A LOT better than it actually is..
hitting from across the screen? sure, like a flysquatter..
Have you actually SEEN the manacost with gmp? you HAVE TO go mana leech to support that, there's simply no other way.
Be a bit realistic..
IGN: Gahrlaag
Wiki - http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

Move de sync from de bathroom to de kitchen for better flow!
crisis solved.
Okay, so you get Mana Leech. Big deal?
The DPS numbers on FP are far from impressive. DPS numbers are completely pointless anyways, so who cares!

You can hit with all five projectiles across half the screen, and each projectile deals plenty damage if you have some Projectile Speed bonuses: Quality, Faster Proj, gear, plenty places to get a bunch of that.

On top of that, it has massive defensive potential. It's Cold damage in the first place, and has a built-in Freeze chance bonus (which rolls separately per hit, and you hit five times...).

Best of all? It's one of the fastest-casting Spells in the game, and it's only surpassed by Curses and Arctic Armor!
I find it great at close range although I'd rather stay a bit far from the mobs.
FP is not OP. Its not anywhere game breaking early-mid-late (it´s pretty bad); I guess it awesome on 100 exalt char, but everything is!

Kripparian use it, and can´t die right?
"
maryn wrote:
remember when FP was average spell way worse than spark, shock nova and just slighly better than cold snap, they all got nerfed to the ground so FP is only decent spell left and people whine to nerf it, gj soon u wont even have a choice to play anything else than LA ranger

What the hell are you even talking about. Freezing Pulse was #1 spell forever. Only Shock Nova was briefly better than Pulse, otherwise FP basically murdered everything because you usually ran FP with a 10k ES CI Witch.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info